Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Harpoon Octoberfest Beer | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

The character and complexity of Harpoon Octoberfest comes from the malt and hops. When looking at a freshly poured Harpoon Octoberfest, you will notice the garnet-red color with a firm, creamy head. The beer’s color is from a blend of Munich, chocolate, and pale malt. The thick head results in part from wheat malt added to the grist. The hop aroma of this beer is not overpowering but it is present. Tettnang hops add a subtle spice nose that blends with the malt character. This beer is full-bodied, smooth, and malty. Willamettehops are used to provide a gentle bitterness and to balance any residual sweetness present from the malt. The finish is soft and malty with a mild bitterness.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2001

Ratings: 1,228 |  Reviews: 498

4.92/5  rDev +34.1%

close to a real German fest for a local brew

4.88/5  rDev +33%

4.8/5  rDev +30.8%

4.7/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Liquor Barn's ultimate Brew Crew Sept '06-Oktoberfest

The beer pours a dark copper with ample head that drops to half a finger and remains for some time. Lots of lace on the glass. This beer is much more fruity than other oktoberfests with citrus, and apricot flavors. To me this beer tastes almost like it's from Belgium with the fruit flavors. This beer has a lot of body and a faint tingle of carbonation. I really like this one..my favorite oktoberfest I've rated.

4.61/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured a beautiful dark golden color with a thin cream-colored head that dissipated within a minute. Smooth malt flavor with just a hint of hops toward the finish. Light lacing. An excellent Octoberfest.

4.58/5  rDev +24.8%

Wow, I must say I'm surprised. I usually find the Harpoon offerings somewhat bland, but they really nailed this one. I'm shocked. I love everything about this beer - the deep amber color- the creamy head - the perfect low, but not too low carbonation... As I was drinking it I kept waiting for something to go wrong. I was at least expecting a funky aftertaste, but it was quality throughout. Not too sweet or syrupy, nor was it merely
an octoberfest- tinged american ale. The real thing that competes with the Germans. Harpoon really nailed it.

4.52/5  rDev +23.2%

A - The color on this beer is great. It is a nice, clear brown. Great head retention.

S - I love the way this beer smells. Unfortunately I do not have a very trained nose. I cannot put a finger on the smells I am getting, but it is very pleasant.

T - I was very pleased with the taste. It is a little sweet, but has some of that beer "bitter" flavor. This is exactly what I look for in an Octoberfest. I am normally a Sam Adams fan, however, I don't think I will be buying their Octoberfest beer any more if this is available.

M - The texture of this beer is very good. It has a silky feel on your tongue. The carbonation is not too overbearing.

D - It is not too sweet. You could drink several of these, even drink it with food.

Enjoy! Life is too short for bad beer!

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%