Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

UFO Hefeweizen | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

UFO Hefeweizen is an American unfiltered wheat beer. Perhaps UFO’s initial sensory perception is also its most prominent: a cloudy golden color and a dense, frothy head. The yeast, which has not been filtered out, accounts for the cloudiness of UFO. Wheat malt tends to create a larger head than barley malt, the cereal grain most often used in brewing. When served in a traditional wheat beer glass with a lemon, UFO presents an appealing and distinctive visual image.

The aroma has a faint but clear citrus-like character. This is produced by the special yeast and accounts for the Bavarian tradition of serving hefeweizens with a lemon. The lemon accentuates the yeast’s fruity, tart fragrance. UFO has a soft mouthfeel and a refreshing, light body. The wheat malts and subtle hopping give the beer a mild, delicate flavor. UFO has a clean finish. Unlike some imported hefeweizens, UFO does not have the spicy, tropical flavors typical of European-brewed style.

Added by stirgy on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 1,475 |  Reviews: 602

4.75/5  rDev +39.3%

4.75/5  rDev +39.3%

4.74/5  rDev +39%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.72/5  rDev +38.4%

Pours relatively cloudy yellow with medium to strong aroma. Deep frothy head provided poured correctly will provide excellent tangy taste at first then measured complexity to the finish. Excellent for a hot summer day in the backyard whilst grilling.

4.68/5  rDev +37.2%

This is one of my favorite hefe beers. This is another unfiltered hefe, but it is smooth with a lot of flavor. Definitely a summer beer. I hate when they serve this beer with an orange, this is not a cheap beer. Pouring into a glass is a must to bring out all of the aromas.

4.57/5  rDev +34%

UFO pours sweetly into the pint glass with great aroma and fluffy white head. A cloudy light straw brew with just enough transparency to allow the proof of carbonation rising through this hefe. Harpoon has really done a wonderful job here crafting a nice American Hefe. Light tasting enough for some non craft drinkers, and just enough clove and banana with a slight hint of juicy fruit for me. UFO does come across a bit thin but this may add to the drinkability... even more so in the summer I would say. I do love a good wheat beer and this is one I greatly enjoy. I am very picky when it comes to wheat brews, I feel a lot of brewers leave balance to the way side, or maybe its just my tastes. Harpoon has a quaffable wheat that will bring a smile to your face as you take another gulp.

4.52/5  rDev +32.6%

My first review and my favorite style of beer. How appropriate.
I have a feeling it just was meant to be.

Appearance: Gold color, cloudy, inviting.

Smell: Who's got time to smell it? It was cold and I just had a long hard day at work. :-)

Taste: It has the clean crisp taste I like. I love to try all kinds of beer but always come back to a wheat beer to clean and refresh my pallet.

Mouthfeel: Feels good to me! LOL

Drinkability: I can't wait to come inside from mowing the lawn this summer and crack one of these open into a frozen pint glass. Mmm Mmm Good.

I loved it. Can you tell?

4.52/5  rDev +32.6%