UFO Hefeweizen | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

good
Read the review
UFO HefeweizenUFO Hefeweizen

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

UFO Hefeweizen is an American unfiltered wheat beer. Perhaps UFO’s initial sensory perception is also its most prominent: a cloudy golden color and a dense, frothy head. The yeast, which has not been filtered out, accounts for the cloudiness of UFO. Wheat malt tends to create a larger head than barley malt, the cereal grain most often used in brewing. When served in a traditional wheat beer glass with a lemon, UFO presents an appealing and distinctive visual image.

The aroma has a faint but clear citrus-like character. This is produced by the special yeast and accounts for the Bavarian tradition of serving hefeweizens with a lemon. The lemon accentuates the yeast’s fruity, tart fragrance. UFO has a soft mouthfeel and a refreshing, light body. The wheat malts and subtle hopping give the beer a mild, delicate flavor. UFO has a clean finish. Unlike some imported hefeweizens, UFO does not have the spicy, tropical flavors typical of European-brewed style.

Added by stirgy on 01-25-2001

3.4

Ratings: 1,466 |  Reviews: 600
2.96/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A friend recommended this one to me but that quickly stated that it didn't taste like he'd remembered. Pours a light yellow, slightly opaque color with a touch of white head on top. Looks pretty good. Nose is very mild, even a little grainy - not what I expected out of a so called Hefeweizen. Taste is more of the same. Fairly bland, maybe a little salty, some standard wheat and a touch of yeast. Really fairly blah - nothing much going on flavorwise. Pretty thin in terms of feel, with an okay carbonation. Overall, its an okay Pale Wheat that I wouldn't recommend cause there are better ones available.

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

Cold bottle poured into a chilled pint glass. Nice looking beer, cloudy pale yellow with a foamy white head. Smell is a faint grassy, wheatish aroma. Taste, is light and crisp, tastes of wheat and citrus.Mouthfeel is nice, light bodied, medium carbonation, very pleasant. Overall this is a nice summer time , warm weather ale. Very Drinkable.

2.51/5  rDev -26.2%

Looks like any old pale wheat or even helles lager. Very pale yellow. Kinda sweet taste but honestly I don't smell much on this beer. For that matter I did not taste much either. There is a mild hint of clove or something in the taste. I don't detect the nuttiness that others have mentioned. Perhaps I will swirl before I drink the other half. I could see this being an easy beer to drink for people who say they don't like wheat beers. For that matter, this could be marketed as a Hefe-Light beer probably and attract the dieting crowd. The numbers in my review range from "Average" to "Not Impressed" and I I would tend to agree with that verbal label of my feelings.

I believe the box recommended a lemon slice, well here goes:

Wait, did i put it in yet? I guess I can taste lemon now and I can smell lemon now, but I didn't notice any glorious change in the beer as a result. I like lemons though so I would mark this as an improvement.

Having swirled the rest of the beer, here is my updated opinion:

Well I can smell banana a lot more now. I expected the flavor to change but I didn't notice much at all.

So if you have ever seen Top Gun you will get my next reference. This beer is writing checks that its body can't cash.

3.64/5  rDev +7.1%

This is a nice summer beer, especially with a piece of lemon. Appearance is bit cloudy - admittedly, this is probably typical of the style... A solid beer for quaffing, drinking in quantity, on a hot summer day, etc. - but, if you are looking for a beer to savor and/or ponder, this just isn't it - it seems to deteriorate in the mouth. Bottom line, though - I'd buy it again.

3.54/5  rDev +4.1%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle with date stamped on the neck. hazy straw yellow with a two finger white head that held to a quarter inch and some fair lacing to the finish. aromas of wheat, yeast, and spice are there but weak. taste, wheat malt, yeasty, grainy, this beer needs some spice to kick it up. mouthfeel light, carbonation ok. this beer needs to get spiced up but still not bad but would not be my first choice.

3.62/5  rDev +6.5%

12 oz brown bottle, best by 07/16/07. Neck label seems to suggest serving with a slice of lemon, but nuts to that. I am, however, using the correct vessel: a Weizen glass.

Pouring: pale hazy orangey gold. Two fingers of froth. Has some stick to it but still wears down to a half finger. Appears to be bottle conditioned, but there isn't too much yeast left in the bottle. I like to see a little more than that in a Hefeweizen.

Aroma not as prevalent as a German wheat beer but there is still the subtle presence of the usual Weizeny notes. The wheat is more of a factor here than the yeast.

Tastes more American than German, and by that I mean hops and malt are more up front while cloves and bananas take a back seat. There's the crispness of lemon and the graininess of wheat. It does an adequate job. I imagine it being a good "pre-Hefeweizen" for the uninitiated.

I wouldn't turn down another one. Might be a bit too much to session with.

3.37/5  rDev -0.9%

A - Fills a tall hefe glass impressively, Head sticks around forever and leaves copious lacing.

S - Pretty standard faint banana/clove aroma, though pretty yeasty. Not as aromatic as a German hefe.

T - Again, pretty standard wheat beer, with a slight spicy clove hit on the finish. Nothing special, but hey, I'll give it a half point above average for being pretty refreshing and thirst-quenching.

M - A little thin. Not as challengingly chompy as a German hefe, but pretty standard for American takes on the style.

D - As I said, it's refreshing on a hot day, and very easy to drink. it isn't that much of a stretch to say you could polish off the six-pack at a BBQ. Decent value for the $ as well.

In summary, an unchallenging, simple American hefe, though not one without redeeming value. It's cold. It's tasty. It goes down easy. Quality easy-drinking beer when it's hot outside, you're thirsty, and just want to toss back a cold one or two.

3.06/5  rDev -10%

Pours a light pale color. Head smells of light citrus with some clove. Taste is similar and pretty smooth for a hefe. I would say however that it's not as full-bodied as I would hope and that despite that it represents the style pretty well. Definitely a good beer to introduce someone to the style.

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%

I picked a mix 12-pack of this stuff up at the Lucky Dog in Athens, OH for Hotfest.

Appearance: pours a gold color with a slight haze and about a 1/2" white head
Smell: lemon-citrusy scents dominate
Taste: pretty good, im coming around to the wheat beers more recently; citrus taste with a nice bread flavor; not bad at all
Mouthfeel: light bodied; they need to make these wheat beers heavier
Drinkability: could do two or three in a night; doesnt wear you out

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%

cool bottle no production date that could be seen, it pored a little cloudy but settled in a few seconds. The smell was not overpowering but you could tell that this was a wheat beer. Typical beer taste with a little lemon at the end. Could easily drink a six pack

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

served from a 12 oz bottle into a glass

a- golden, pale yellowish color with a small head that dissapates to a small white lace around the sides of the glass

s- doesn't smell very strong. the wheat is definatly prominent. small undertones of lemon

t- nothing special here. typical wheat beer taste followed by a nice hint of citrus

m- nice smooth feel. easily drank.

d- you can drink alot of these, no problem

overall- an average wheat beer. i think my friends like them more than i do. i dont think i'll buy these again, but it definatly isnt a bad choice in general

4.07/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured this in to my Paulaner Weizen Glass, I did the swirl. Cloudy yellow color with a big fluffy white head. Once I added a slice of lemon, the head went away very quickly and didn't leave any lace at all.

I smelled this before adding lemon and it had a lemon/citrus aroma to it, the citrus aroma only got stronger after adding lemon.

A very nice tasting hefeweizen, different in a good way, I like this beer.

Light body, very soft mouthfeel, refreshingly clean finish.

I like this beer and find it to be highly drinkable, as a matter of fact, my glass is empty and I'm going to have another. I will buy this beer again.

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pint.

A - Clear. Light. Decent head and lacing.

S - Pretty plain. Nothing really sticks out too much.

T - See above. Maybe a light bit of typical wheat beer characteristics, but this is pretty damn boring.

M - Light. Crisp, maybe a little zingy. Seems to be very little, if any aftertaste.

D - This is the most redeeming quality. These go down extremely easy.

This is the first Harpoon beer I've had in a few years. Either I'm spoiled by all of the "good" beer I've been drinking or they've lost a step with the rest of the craft brewers out there.

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

Harpoon UFO 12oz bottle at 40-45 F from pint

Appearance: Pale yellow with white head. Below average head retention and average carbonation. Both could be increased for this style

Smell: A grassy or hay-like aroma. Very faint earthy hops can be detected once the beer warms and if you bury your nose in it.

Taste: Good wheat sharpness combined with a light sweetness and a grassy, wheat finish. Little hops

Mouthfeel: Thin, a bit too thin. Runs from the tongue and the carbonation does little to rescue this beer.

Drinkability: Okay. I drink this while riding a lawn mower.

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow color on tap, with lots of sediment settling at the bottom of the glass. A great looking huge white head sits atop the brew with good retention. Pleasing aromas of lemon, light banana, and a grassy hop presence. Flavors of citrus, mild spice and banana, and the grassy hops round out the brew nicely. Not a ton of clove spice but thats OK. Highly drinkable, and a great American version of the Hefe.

3.36/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a bottle into a wheat glass, pours a nice yellow haze with lots of carbonation and a thick 2 finger head that leaves thick lace on the glass. Smell is of lemon and lime with a sour backdrop. Taste is very sour and bitter with a ton of cabonation going on, the taste was all over the place, heavy burn from the carbonation to a lemon lime sourness that burns a bit going down. I like to have my hefe with that clove aftertaste, this tastes like a carbonated mess, I will pass on this again.

3.82/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: poured w/sediment , a cloudy, paler gold to very light orange color , with a small white head. Kewl label.

Smell: some citrus, slight tart wheat, bit of a sweet and fruity scent like stawberry or raspberry.

Taste: Wheaty in a very lightly tart way, some mild hop bitterness and spice, kinda sweet grainy taste in the middle, with a bit of fruity esters in there and a dry yeasty, almost nutty finish.

Mouthfeel: soft , medium bodied, with a dry finish.

Drinkability: A pleasant, unobtrusive wheat beer with a good drinkability and feel, it could use a little more flavor imo but whats there is very clean and balanced. Good for warm weather.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance - Golden cloudy color with a nice white head and carbination.

Smell - Smell clean fresh and wheaty.

Taste - I detect some very mild fruity flavors and something that reminds me of vanilla pudding?! A little bit of a wine and a low-level sourness at the end.

Mouthfeel - Light body, carbinated, clean and refreshing.

Drinkability - Not a bad beer, enjoyed it. part of Harpoon, and I love Harpoon. It is good beer. Not to hit the rasberry UFO.

2.38/5  rDev -30%

A - A slightly hazy golden color. Large frothy head that dissipates quickly. Some intense visible carbonation. No lacing. For an unfiltered beer this is hardly cloudy at all.

S - A grassy hop aroma with a touch of stale malt.

T - Very bland. There is a mild grassy hops with a bland bitter aftertaste. Not too great, but I honestly like it more than most american wheat beers because it does not have an intense, somewhat off, bland bitter aftertaste - it only has a mild one.

M - Only a little smooth, thin, and not very refreshing.

D - It is okay. Pretty easy to drink. Not really worth having. A bit better than most american wheats since it is mild in its offensive characteristics. Not really worth the money.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Cloudy dark gold beer poured in my pint with a fine white head that forms to about a two-finger height. Small carbonation noticable.

Smell - Strong wheat aroma. Smells sweet.

Taste - A light hop presence balances with the usual wheat bread flavor.

Mouthfeel - Light and crisp without overpowering the natural flavors of the malt and wheat.

Drinkability - A nice summer beer that most people should be able to enjoy.

3.51/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance-very light body with nice white head
Smell-Malt, yeast, sweet, nothing strong or prevelent
Taste- wheat, grain, sweet yeast, very light in taste nothing overpowering
Mouthfeel- minimum carbonation
Drinkability- the light taste (that is actually good) and the low carbonation makes this beer very drinkable-good for summer (or anytine)

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%

I bought this beer as part of a mixed 12 pack. It was nice and cloudy, gold in color. It smelled of yeast and banana, maybe a slight clove scent and even citrus. It tasted like a decent hefeweizen should, but not great. As with most American hefeweizens, I wasn't blown away. It was bubbly, like a weizen should, but not overly fizzy. It would be a good summer time beer.

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%

I picked this up at Whole Foods tonight while looking for something different or a beer I had bypassed in favor of fancy labels or styles. As WF had a lot of Harpoon on hand, the UFO became the 1st target.

I brought it home and popped the top for a pour into my favorite beer glass, a 50cl mug from Crate and Barrel. It poured quite well with a puffy head that settled slowly as I was fixing other things up. The first taste brought back memories of what the original Coors tasted like before the mass marketing screwed it up, but it flowed slightly heavier with distinct tastes of wheat, grains, citrus, and light hops.

The clean lines of taste after taste polished off the first bottle without much thought and I went to another bottle. I slowed down in round 2 to notice it reminded me of some American lagers on tap I had consumed a long time ago in college at fun parties.

I could see drinking this anytime as it was very accessible and it will make an excellent beer to serve to friends this Summer. Now all I need is to find this on draft...and it could be a worthy contender for my annual Halloween party.

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a nice cloudy straw color with a pillowy, 2 finger white head and some decent lacing. Smells yeasty and of wheat, also present are hints of lemon and some light bananna notes. At times the smell comes across as almost musty. Tastes mildly tart upfront. Next is a combination of wheat and light lemons. Light Bannana notes are present in the finish as are lemons. Good mouthfeel, light bodied with medium carbonation. Drinkability is ok. This is a decent brew but nothing spectacular.

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

I bought a six pack of Harpoon UFO for the Super Bowl, but decided to enjoy them on friday evening. I have enjoyed the hefeweizen beers from Paulaner and Hacker-Pschorr, and totally agree that Weihenstephaner is one of the greatest beers on the planet. So, perhaps the Harpoon UFO offering had an impossible act to follow.

Harpoon UFO is not objectionable in any way. I drank three bottles and will consume the other three today. However, once you've developed a taste for the real deal from Germany, it is doubtful that you would rate this product in the same league. Too many breweries are trying to cash in on Belgian and German beer styles without developing a competitive product.

UFO Hefeweizen from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall