Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Harpoon Leviathan - Triticus | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: Wheatwine

Recipe changed from the original 2005 Triticus.

2008
2010
2011

Added by Bierman9 on 06-21-2008

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
4.7/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this one at The Publick House...that's double karma!!

Wouldn't have guessed it to be a Wheatwine. I'm assuming this is the correct "Triticus" because it was advertised at 14%. Unbelievably rich and fruity. Poured a deep mahogany color with a huge stiff tan head that resisted fading. Nice lacing from start to finish. Smelled really rich and sweet; dark fruits, alcohol, cherries, molasses. Full bodied and adequately carbonated, the mouth feel is almost thick. Full flavored the taste is similar to the nose. Dark fruits, sweet malts, molasses, and cherries. Way too easy to drink! The 14% ABV warms after it's well on its way down. The mouth (4.75) coats the tongue sooo nicely and the dark fruit and cherries character lingers nicely. REALLY enjoyed this one...glad i had to run or I'd screw up and order another. Highly recommended.

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

Drank on-tap at the Publick House, Brookline, MA
Served in a tulip

Poured a near opaque, dark mahogany color with a thick, silky, light tan, one-finger head that slowly faded to a creamy ring. The head was similar to one you might expect from a nitro pour. Outstanding retention, especially for a beer with such alcohol prowess. Streaks of lacing cascaded down the glass.

The aroma was subtle initially but came out much more as the beer warmed. Sweet and rich with strong dark fruit notes. Oaky and quite boozy. Phenolic with indications of banana and spiced rum.

The taste was similar to the nose yet more intense. Fruity, boozy and robust. As the with the aroma, dark fruits (raisins and figs) came through strong. Sweet and spicy with rich, caramel malts and notes of brown sugar. Some banana was also noticeable. Boozy with a pleasant, rum-like alcohol warming on the back end. At 14%, the alcohol was definitely noticeable yet not in the least bit overwhelming. The finish was slightly hoppy and citrusy, and it provided a nice balance to this otherwise sweet and alcohol rich brew. The long-lasting aftertaste was sweet, spicy and rummy.

The mouthfeel was super thick, rich and creamy. Full-bodied and mouth coating with a fine, mild carbonation. After each sip, the liquid left a sticky, syrupy coating on my lips.

Drinkability was simply astounding for a 14% ABV brew. The alcohol was sweet, warming and quite pleasant. This is a terrific beer to sip and savor as an after dinner drink.

Hands down, this is the best beer that Harpoon has ever produced. The purpose of their Leviathan Series is to attract craft beer enthusiasts who have been disappointed with the mediocre brews in their 100 Barrel Series. Boy, did they ever get my attention with this initial release. Keep up the great work!

4.29/5  rDev +9.4%

Had on tap most recently at Union Brewhouse, although I tried a couple of growlers straight from the brewery as well. Pours a dark brown, black with a thin tan head. Smells of dark fruits, wine, and lots of alcohol. Tastes are similar. I have liked this beer more each time I have tried it. It is extremely strong- almost makes you wince after each sip and warms you as you drink it. Very slick mouthfeel. I am excited for Harpoon to start up this series!

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Served in a snifter glass at The Sunset Grill and Tap in Boston, from a tapped keg. Great overall experience at The Sunset and thanks to Marc (owner) for allowing us to sample this one!

This is my first experience with a wheatwine, so I approach this evaluation with much fear and trembling.

Appearance - A dark brown/black in color. Not hazy per se, just very dark which hinders the abilty to get a good gauge. No carbonation to speak of, and therefore, no head whatsover. "Good legs" (to use a wine term) exhibited after several swirls. This is going to be an experience.

Smell - Mild in aroma, very slight nose of a grassy/bready presence with a bit of malt thrown in for good measure. Hard to pick out an overwhelming aroma. The alcohol is there, as expected, but not (thankfully) in a slap in your face way. If I had to classify, I would say a bready dominance.

Taste - Wow, darn unusual. Interesting here, a little spicey, a little clovey, a little fruity...very odd. The alcohol is unmistakable, while somewhat tempered by a woody edge (I'm sure a product of the barrel aging). Very much a "bright" alcohol presence that would mellow with aging.

Mouthfeel - How do you say "thin" and "thick" at the same time? This had, what I think, an unexpected thin body, which would make you regret taking in more than a you want in a sip! However your palate is then blasted by the complexity of this offering. I try hard to remove my bias of thinking/comparing this with a barleywine. Moves along nicely around the palate and very much "grows" into a much thicker feel. Little carbonation aiding this process.

Drinkability - A huge beer and also a new style for me. A great experience to the wheatwines, which will make me seek out more. I doubt I'll have this one again, not because it wasn't enjoyable, but instead due to my ability to obtain more easily. However, if I see a Triticus, I'll be more than happy to add it to my beer cellar and revisit it in a few years, to see how it matures.

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last