Harpoon Rich & Dan's Rye IPA | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

good
Read the review
Harpoon Rich & Dan's Rye IPAHarpoon Rich & Dan's Rye IPA

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: Rye Beer

This beer is brewed with our proprietary yeast – the same yeast we’ve used since first brewing Harpoon Ale – and some interesting hop varieties. The combination of Pale, Rye, Caramel 60, Flaked Rye, and Vienna yield a complex malt body that stands up to the spiciness of the rye and the pronounced hop flavor. The rye also adds a reddish hue to the beer. The kettle additions of Centennial, Apollo, and Chinook, and the dry hop addition of Falconer’s Flight add a multidimensional hop character.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

1.75/5  rDev -53.7%

2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

2.28/5  rDev -39.7%

Aromas are initially quite interesting. I get the spicy rye malts up front, then I dive back in and get citrus hops and a metallic/minerally odor. I little caramel maltiness in the background.
The taste begins with slight pale and spicy rye malts, not much though. The hop bite hops in soon after dominated by grassy, floral and cat pee hop flavors. Metal, old-school canned beer flavors as well. I really am not enjoying this.
Mouthfeel is sticky and full yet the finish is harsh and unforgiving. The rye and hops are too out of balance for my preferences. I love good rye beers and this is not one of them. If your going to mail in the malt bill you have to at least have late hops additions for nice hop flavors, but this doesn't have any. After making a lot of great beers in this 100 Barrel Series, Harpoon seems to have mailed in the last couple. If I was Rich or Dan, I wouldn't want my name attached to this beer... I haven't had a good drain pour in a while, adios #37!

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.94/5  rDev -22.2%

Better than the Harpoon IPA but very average in my opinion.

Harpoon Rich & Dan's Rye IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall