Harpoon White IPA | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Ken Hermann has taken our exploration of – and adoration for – the IPA style in a completely new direction. With notes of orange peel and coriander, the soft mouthfeel reminiscent of a Belgian wit, and the hop additions of Simcoe, Citra and Cascade, he strikes a delicate balance between two disparate styles while showcasing the characteristics of both. It’s a refreshing take on a new style, and we hope you enjoy it! Cheers.

Added by Jason on 04-24-2012

Just been drinking this beer on draught in a Wetherspoons pub.It was absolutely gorgeous.Looked good and tasted superb.I didnt realise it was so strong as it does not state the ABV on the pumpclip so it made a mess of me.Recommended.

4.59/5  rDev +16.5%

22 oz bottle -> imperial pint glass

A - Hazy pale straw with a two finger pillowy white head. Lots of carbonation bubbles give good head retention.

S - WOW! This smells delicious! Pungent floral hops with big citrus notes up front. A faint wheaty smell and traditional hefeweizen yeast character hides shyly in the back. Smells more or less like a traditional American IPA plus a wonderful complexity from the wheat character.

T - More floral and citrusy hops fade into a more tradition wheat malt character and some spicy yeast notes. I'm not sure if I'm actually tasting some banana in there or if I just think I am becasue I'm expecting it to be there. Noticable but not overpowering bitterness persists from the first sip all the way to the aftertaste. Very nicely balanced and complex.

M - Thick and full body with lots of carbonation. Not what I'd normally expect from an IPA but it certainly blends very well with this beer, moreso than I'd expect.

Overall this is definitely the best white IPA I've ever had, and absolutely one of the best beers I've had. I'll definitely buy a few more of these while they're still around.

4.51/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

A slight haze, flowing activity on a pale golden color, rich and fluffy head, sticky and full.

The aroma is very impressive with an abundance of herbal-citric, hay and wheat, mild yeast effect, slight hea with lemmon zest and pepper. Rich.

The flavor is very bold with three big hop varieties giving a strong citric, zesty, earthy flavor, all in great balance. The mild Belgian-ish yeast gives nice earthy tones with sweet fruits on sour and citric layers. complex but damn easy to slam...or even put down!!

I treated this one like a session brew, gulp, gulp, gulp! but it's nice n complex and well worth sipping. This is easily of the very best from the small batch collection!!

4.49/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- Beautiful, glowing golden orange with tiny bubbles flowing up. White head that leaves sea foam like rings.

S- Citrusy Hops all the way. Refreshing smell like an orchard.

T- A solid, hop forward taste that lingers. Fresh, bright hops.

M- The wit comes through here. Champagne like carbonation with a smooth wheat mouthfeel. It works for this beer.

O- This one surprised me. I'm not a huge wit fan though I enjoy a good Belgian. IPA's? Who doesn't like 'em. This is a perfect melding of the two. I picture my self on a tropical beach, drinking these down all day long.

Harpoon White IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall