Patty's Chile Beer | Wynkoop Brewing Company

Wynkoop Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
wynkoop.com

Style: Chile Beer

Golden ale brewed with green chili peppers; a late addition of Anaheim peppers and smoked ancho peppers.

Added by Todd on 05-23-2003

1.99/5  rDev -42.3%

I had this one a couple of weeks ago on my birthday at Wynkoop. While I'm not adverse to trying something new, this one threw me off. The chile flavor is a bit too overpowering for me, and it doesn't balance well with the beer. I can appreciate how some would like it, and I honestly didn't find it vile. However, I would not order this one ever again.. it was just too overpowering in a bad way to me.

2.2/5  rDev -36.2%

We tried this in a sampler size at the bar. It smelled very nice and capsaicin-y, so I was expected to be downing lots of water for the heat I was sure to follow. Instead it just tasted like vegetables, no heat, no spice, a major letdown.

Aside from the lack of chili-power, the beer had little other flavor, it did have a noticeable malt-nuttiness, but hops were mild and it was a really light beer. Don't bother daring anyone to try this unless they're intimidated by extra mild salsa.

2.22/5  rDev -35.7%

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%

2.83/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Honey gold color, thin head, grayish. Smell is faintly smokey and peppery, grainy, mild hops sweetness. Deep inhales tingles the receptors. Taste doesn't carry a lot of the pepper taste unfortunately, I was hoping for some upfront chilie peppers. Base beer is too bland, possibly to let the peppers take control, but I just wish the peppers were more present. They are a little more distinct in the finish, and surprisingly no heat.

I would prefer to use this beer in my chili recipe. I like a flavorful chile beer with some heat, and this beer really has none. Might be good as a BBQ thirst-quencher, but I would like to cook with this one more.

2.85/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

4.4%. Served on-draught into a 5 oz taster glass at Wynkoop. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours no real head at all - just a beige floater. Body colour is a clear copper-amber. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Light chili peppers. Clean barley. Little heat. Seems harmless. A mild strength aroma.

T: Some chili notes. No heat or spice. The foundation is comprised of just simple clean barley. Simple and somewhat bland, but pleasant to drink. No complexity or subtlety here. Kind of boring. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Adequately carbonated. Suits the flavour profile fairly well. Too smooth and wet.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. I might have it again if I'm in the mood for a chili beer. A decent little brew from Wynkoop, albeit a mild one for the style.

C

3.13/5  rDev -9.3%

Ordered on tap at the Wynkoop Brewery in Denver. Usually I'm not a fan of chili beers, although this one worked for me. Poured a pale yellow with a greenish tint. Slightly cloudy. Very small bubbles of carbonation. White head. As expected, the smell and taste of green chilis dominated. Hard to taste the malt or hops in it. The chilis lingered a bit, although they weren't overly hot - they didn't affect the mouthfeel at all. Although the strong chili flavor made for tough drinkability. Their take on the style seemed good, although I personally don't reach for chili beers.

3.2/5  rDev -7.2%

Ordered one of these at Wynkoop as it was on Westword's 50 Colorado Beers to Try Before you Die List.

A - The beer arrived a vivid golden color with a thin white head and noticeable lacing.

S - Imagine you're at a Farmer's Market right next to the guy roasting the chili's. Immense chili aroma that's so potent you can't get anything else through.

T/M - The beer starts out light and crisp with a light malty character but quickly transitions to the chili flavor. It's not a spicy jalapenos flavor more of a roasted chili. The beer finishes crisp and smooth with the chili flavor lingering. It is not overly carbonated and is surprisingly light.

D - I was very excited about the beer at the beginning of the pint, towards the end I was ready for it to go away.

Overall, I am glad to have tried it as it's one of only a handful of chili beers I've had. However, I won't be going back for another.

Reviewed on: 01-27-2011 13:53:48

3.23/5  rDev -6.4%

A: clear amber/golden, half finger head

S: chili pepper but light

T: malt and chili pepper mix throughout the experience

M: oily, medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: interesting how many of their beers look alike. This one is a little over powering with the chili, not too many other flavors outside of chili pepper.

3.25/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Patty's Chile Beer from Wynkoop Brewing Company