Anniversary Oak Aged Barleywine | Wynkoop Brewing Company

Wynkoop Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
wynkoop.com

Style: American Barleywine

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by ArrogantB on 09-25-2009

Reviews by minterro:
3.43/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Still at Renegade Publik House trying another beer while reading some cognition papers. 5oz pour into a snifter.

A&S: Very powerful sweet raisin smell. Its pretty dimly lit in here but I believe that this beer is a dark ruby red color. Presented with almost no head to it (some off-white fizz lingering around the outer regions of the glass).

T&M: Going along with the raisin aroma this beer is chalked full of raisin taste. Pretty one dimensional in flavor. I would say overall sweet. I even have a preference for sweet barleywines, but this one is just too much.

Overall: Probably one of the weakest barleywines. If you dig super sweet beer this one could be for you, its just too over the top for me.

3.96/5  rDev +11.5%

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

4.07/5  rDev +14.6%

On draught at the brewpub, served in a snifter, the 2008
Anniversary Oak Aged Barleywine is a chill hazed rust with an off-white collar and skim leaving almost no lace, but with a nice glow to it.

Smell is big vanilla, plasticy phenols, with toffee notes opening up as it warms.

Taste is similar, very heavy phenols, and a nice bourbon influence without being overly wet barrel aged. Light malt flavors are lost behind the phenols.

Mouthfeel is pretty light, smooth and digestible, with low carbonation.

Drinkability is good, quite so really for the hefty ABV, which I didn't realize it was packing until I was about to order a 2nd one. It could use a bit more depth, and less phenols, but I thought it was tasty, smooth, and surprisingly quaffable for a big barrel aged barleywine.

3.06/5  rDev -13.8%

I got a snifter of this at the Wynkoop and while it was not a bad beer I still regretted the purchase. it was a dark chesnut color and looked good. The first sniff was all oak, then vanilla syrup, then oak, good God this is oaky! The flavor was all sadly more of the same. I can barely detect a barleywine underneath the oak flavors but at one point it did taste slightly like cognac. I wish I could try the base barleywine before they oaked the living shit out of it.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%