Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout | Wynkoop Brewing Company

Wynkoop Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
wynkoop.com

Style: American Stout

A meaty foreign-style stout, Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout is made with Colorado base malts, roasted barley, seven specialty malts, Styrian Goldings hops, and 25 pounds of freshly sliced and roasted bull testicles.

Added by Knapp85 on 03-31-2013

2.47/5  rDev -32.1%

Poured from a hand-stamped (and maybe filled it seems) can into my Gandhi Bot tulip. Let it warm up for a few minutes before reviewing.

A: Pours a great dark brown with a finger's worth of tan head that dissipates slowly to a thin layer. Some deep ruby red on the edges when held up to the light. Off to a good start.

S: Something's not right here. For a beer whose reviews note the roastiness of the malts, I'm picking up on dark fruit notes, specifically prunes. When I really search for it, I get a touch of chocolate, but not much beyond that.

T: Vinegar up front, which gives away to more of the dark fruits and that same hint of chocolate. I'm guessing that's a hint of what should have been. Disappointing to say the least.

M: I don't even want to take another sip to get a better judgment of the mouthfeel. The carbonation is a bit too high, though the viscosity isn't too bad. Not exactly redeeming.

O: My buddy got this directly from the brewery and I'm guessing this was a prototype can. I can only hope that the cans that went out for distribution and wider sales were improved in canning conditions because this obviously got oxygenated. I'm a believer in reviewing the beer as consumed, but I wouldn't think twice to try it again if I saw it to see if this truly was a fluke.

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

3.12/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.16/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.21/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Just an average Stout. Nothing special in the flavor or nose. Wouldn't go out of your way to try unless your looking for something out of the ordinary with shock factor. Definitely not one of Wynkoop's best. Which is weird since they make some amazing beer.

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.34/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 fl oz can served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a thick, deep, opaque chocolate color with a finger of mocha colored thin head that leaves no lacing. Retention is awful but expected as the can opened without even a hiss.

S - Sweet milk chocolates open over the restrained roasted malt body. The depth of the chocolate notes are surprising and pleasant. Salty/mineral notes are evident. Heavy cream and a certain woody quality are buried.

T - Milk chocolate, cocoa and a plum note I'd not found in the nose dominate. Roasted and chocolate malts form the body. Assertively bitter and a touch salty on the finish, nicely balancing the sweet chocolates. Having had rocky mountain oysters, I'd never guess them as the secret ingredient, but I enjoy the earthy roasted flavors they contribute. The balance is much better than I'd guessed based on the nose.

M - Medium bodied. Definitely thinner than I'd like. Smooth with low carbonation.

D - A good stout with some unique qualities. Not particularly great, but I'm glad I tried it.

Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout from Wynkoop Brewing Company