Calabaza Blanca | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Liked:
3.9/5
Alströms:

1.24/5  rDev -68.2%

This is not a Witbier, it's a fucking Gose. There is no "balance" between sweetness/tartness as one reviewer put it, there is *zero* sweetness to this beer. nor did I find it particularly "tasty" -- sours admittedly aren't my thing, but I really couldn't pick up *any* subtlety or nuance. Nothing but extreme, funky sourness and vinegary acidity. Like Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus contaminated a vat of lemon juice.

I wouldn't presume to critique an example of a style I don't personally enjoy, but this is very clearly labeled as a Wit and it is categorically not a Wit.

1.56/5  rDev -60%

I'll be brief. Maybe I got hold of a bad bottle, who knows. But this is the first beer in a long time that I have poured down the drain. Absolutely tasteless. Nice bottle design though.

I really expected something more here. I've been a fan of Celis whitefor a long time and thought this might be something along those lines but it is like they took a good white beer and sucked the soul out of it.

1.66/5  rDev -57.4%

The beer pours a pale straw yellow hazy color. There wasnt any head on this beer, and when I opened it there wasnt that noticeable KSHH sound to it. Hopefully it isnt a bad bottle. The smell is of sweet malt, and hints of orange peel and spices. The beer has a very sour bad funk to it. This has to be infected. Looking at the bottle cap there is a bulge on the bottom. Like a blister with something kind of dirt looking stuff in it. Gonna have to try this again...

2.03/5  rDev -47.9%

Received as part of the Double Trouble Bif.

Hmm. This beer is a cloudy yellow. There is a fair head. The smell is typical of the style. The taste is typical as well. The mouthfeel and drinkability are both typical too. Typical as in my least favorite style. This is the first beer of the BIF I have tried. It can only go up from here. On a hot summer day this may be a little more tolerable, but not on a cold winter day beside a wood stove.

2.08/5  rDev -46.7%

A- Pours a slightly hazy yellow-orange with an adequate white head. Some floaties, but it's bottle-conditioned so I'll blame myself for not pouring it well.
S- Very spicy; not really coriander as I'd expect from a Wit; grains of paradise possibly? [Side note: after looking up the Jolly Pumpkin webpage I learned it is indeed coriander; go figure...] Also a strong sour apple note. Not picking up any orange peel.
T- The sour funk of brettomyces predominates. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a huge brett fan, but I can appreciate it where appropriate (e.g. Rodenbach Grand Cru). That being said, it's not part of a traditional Witbier profile, and the only hint of such flavors from the bottle description is the fact that it's aged in an oak barrel. If Jolly Pumpkin had warned me of the strong brett character, I could have avoided this. That being said, there's simply nothing about this beer that says "Witbier." No orange flavor. No coriander flavor. And while a slight lactic tang is appropriate, that's quite different from the funky, earthly sourness found in this beer. I'm sure plenty of Belgian beer folks love this beer and I have no problem with Jolly Pumpkin for brewing this, but don't call it a Witbier.
M- Light and effervescent.
D- Maybe if you're into wild fermentation you'd down several of these, but I'll be lucky if I get through this one bottle.

2.1/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

i really, really do not get the brett thing and am regretting like hell that i bought an entire sixer of this. i should have known that this is an acquired taste that happens to not be my cup of tea. if i wanted this sour brett stuff (my mistake, i guess), i should have just bought some wine. the sweet looking bottles finally lured me in, though. and despite knowing that they use brett (shouldn't this be a fucking flaw?), i figured they wouldn't use it in a wit, right? woops. this looks like a nice wit, and smells like one too. but in the mouth it's all sourness and astringency. like a beer gone horribly wrong. if anyone wants the rest of this sixer and lives in the naperville area please come and take it before i pour it down the drain. i'm dead serious, just email me and it's yours. it's taking up precious space in my beer fridge.

2.25/5  rDev -42.3%

2.48/5  rDev -36.4%

Not a very good beer. Appearance was orange-y and cloudy with fairly minimal head. Aroma was striking - there was a lot of stinky feet or stinky cheese (isovaleric?) smell going on here, which I found fairly unpleasant (despite a fondness for cheese). Flavor was more distinctly orange-peel and witbier-like, although the sweat and cheese aroma persisted into the flavor. Mouthfeel was pretty astringent, particularly for a beer with such a low ABV. I did not find this to be very drinkable.

I would not recommend this beer.

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tasted bottle on 9/25/06 at Tria Cafe in Philadelphia, PA.

White-ish colored with a huge white head and overcarbonated resulting in multiple pours. A funky oaky and tart aroma and flavor. The coriander and orange peel don't get a chance to shine in this one. Very light bodied and airy due to carbonation but refreshing enough I guess.

Not quite what I think of when I think of a wit... save your $.

Per Label: 4.8% ABV. "Wit Aged in Large Oak Casks" & "Orange Peel and Coriander"

($6.50 / 12 oz. bottle)

2.53/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.61/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Hazy, very pale yellow. Soapy, two finger head rises and falls quickly leaving nothing. No lacing.

S - Pleasant aroma, but not quite on point with a wit. Citrus is present though it leans more towards lemon than orange. There's also a lot of sour aroma from (I assume) brett. A simple wheaty smell provides the backbone but overall it's fairly bland, particularly devoid of any spice or chalky yeast.

T - This hardly resembles a wit. Mild, tangy wheat with a touch of citrus starts things off. Mid palate the flavor becomes grainy and completely devoid of nuance before a slightly sour kick from the brett takes hold. A big, tart lemony element is intense but brief, and the brew finishes with a tapering sourness. No spice at all and very little typical witbier citrus.

M - A bit too thin for the style and quite a bit of carbonation. Both factors are undoubtedly
contributing to a percieved lack of flavor while honing in on the brett character.

D - Well, it isn't terrible. Calabaza Blanca is certainly a drinkable beer but it isn't very interesting. Pale, boring grain with a kick of brett. Rather than a witbier complimented with
brett, as I thought this would be, it's just a watery, boring excuse to throw sourness in a brew.

2.72/5  rDev -30.3%

Feelings as to this beer noted above. Great appearance, all right aroma, mouth feel light and fitting for the style. As to taste: far too acidic, and the funk overwhelms the delicate witbiet characteristics. What's left is simply too much: no subtlety, too acidic, too funky, too many cooks in the kitchen. Pick a style and run with it; I've had enough of these everything but the kitchen sink beers

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours a champagne color, or pale straw yellow, with just the slightest haze to it. Smells tart. The flavor of the beer is very tart. Reminds me much more of a gose without salinity than it does a witbier. In fact, it barely reminds me of a witbier at all. Think tart, sour, chardonnay. Maybe just this style isn't exactly for me, or the beer wasn't quite what I was expecting it to be, but this one wasn't for me.

2.79/5  rDev -28.5%

I picked this up at the Pit Stop in Nelsonville, OH.

Appearance: gold color with a slight haze and a 3/4" head off the pour
Smell: oranges with some skunkiness
Taste: oranges; some malt; very watered down it seems; almost more of a orange pop flavor (not impressive)
Mouthfeel: light bodied
Drinkability: could do three or four in a night because its so light

Overall, I'm not too impressed with this beer. It has some good reviews up, so I might try it again and hopefully get a better bottle next time.

2.81/5  rDev -27.9%

Clear gold, almost lagerish appearance. The white head hangs around for a bit then collapses to a ring. Plenty of bubbly carbonation. Nose is odd mix of sugar, vanilla, fake banana odor. Taste is just as strange with a base of rubber band and club soda with some yeast and wheat malt thrown in, but it just isn't enough to overcome the taste. Mouthfeel is ok, medium. I can't get past the flavor. This is my second Jolly Pumpkin that has disappointed, the Roja was the other.

Calabaza Blanca from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales