La Roja | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

La RojaLa Roja

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
jollypumpkin.com

Style: American Wild Ale

An artisan amber ale brewed in the Flanders tradition. Deep amber with earthy caramel, spice, and sour fruit notes developed through natural barrel aging. Unfiltered, unpasteurized and blended from barrels ranging in age from two to ten months.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2004

Ratings: 1,986 |  Reviews: 789

reviewed from notes 5/20/12.

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: medim red almost crimson bodied beer with a white head that drops to a ring around the glass.

Smell: tart cherries and apples with a hint of oak.

Taste: mild to moderate tart cherries. Also getting apples, pears, and honey.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. This beer is really carbonated. Little prickly and almost overly aggressive carbonation for this beer. Still drinks nicely for a 7% beer.

Overall: I really enjoy this jolly pumpkin beer. I should really consider more of there beers on a regular basis. Little pricey, but worth it.

My third attempt at trying a sour/wild. Bomber with a sticker that reads 'Blend 10 Bottled 8-27-10'

A - Brick red, orange/reddish brown. Cloudy. Small head that doesn't last.

S - Funk, Sour Cherry and apple. Not off putting for a beginner in this realm.

T - Much like the smell, i get tartness and sour cherry up front. Little bit of sour green apple. I taste a bit of nice oak, and funk as it glides across the tongue.

M - High on carbonation. Medium body.

D - The 7.2% isn't noticeable a bit, and for a sour I could drink this all night. Finished a bomber by myself without a problem.

As far as I'm concerned, this is an exceptional brew. I'm glad that I went with La Roja as my next attempt to appreciate sours. The wood, the sour and funk are extremely well balanced. I'd say this is a great sour for somebody who is just starting in this style.

Re-review notes 1/2/12 - la Roja was one of the first wild ales that tried and I loved it. I still think it is a quality brew, I just like different things in this style now. It's Tart, but does not have the lactic bite that I strive for. I readjusted my ratings based on what I felt after I recently tried nit. Still a great soured brown, and I'd like to see what this beast taste like with some age on it. I still think everybody should start with this beer if dabbling in the style, as it is a great example of what is to come when drinking further 'wild/sours'.

Pours a cloudy amber color with an off white head. In the nose, grapes and well, sweettarts. A friuty sweet/ sourness. In the taste, earthy/ oaky and hints of dark fruits. It has a sour dry aftertaste. Nice lacing on the glass, and enjoy the sour dryness, and smooth. Like nothing else, but very good!

750mL bottle - batch 2008, 4 - served into a goblet

Pours an opaque butterscotch/garnet color. It is mostly butterscotch brown but has a certain reddish tint to it in places. Two solid fingers of buttermilk colored head sits on top - all creamy like - and never goes away. Lovely, spindly lacing too.
If only the color itself was more attractive.

Lactic acid, canned fruit cocktail and this unique potpurri/lavender/body wash sort of fragrance all hit the nose with equal strength. Some lemon, of course. A bit of barrel aged woodsy quality (but not up to the strength of a Russian River wild ale).

The taste is, well, more muted than I expected. The first thing you notice is that La Roja is less sour than you expected. I've had bottles of Bam Biere that are more sour. Faint lemon juice, wild strawberry, some bile. Not much funk to speak of, just a light touch of musty basement. There is way more sweetness than in most Wild Ales I've had. Sweet amber malt is evident. Some bread crusts and light honey. I'm scoring it a 4.0 because it is pretty nice, even though far less tart than I'd prefer.

Mouthfeel is pretty solid. Appropriate carbonation - not prickly at all but evident - but perhaps a bit thin given all the sweetness. On one hand, the light tartness makes this very drinkable. On the other hand, experienced sour beer drinkers wouldn't want to drink a whole lot of this. Good overall, I'd say.

Very solid beer. Not spectacular. Needs to be more sour for me. But I can't deny that it does a lot of things very well. I think it objectively a good beer, even if I don't see myself buying this again.

La Roja from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales