Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

La Roja | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

La RojaLa Roja
4.03/5
Exceptional
La RojaLa Roja

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
jollypumpkin.com

Style: American Wild Ale

An artisan amber ale brewed in the Flanders tradition. Deep amber with earthy caramel, spice, and sour fruit notes developed through natural barrel aging. Unfiltered, unpasteurized and blended from barrels ranging in age from two to ten months.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2004

Ratings: 1,994 |  Reviews: 790

reviewed from notes 5/20/12.

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: medim red almost crimson bodied beer with a white head that drops to a ring around the glass.

Smell: tart cherries and apples with a hint of oak.

Taste: mild to moderate tart cherries. Also getting apples, pears, and honey.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. This beer is really carbonated. Little prickly and almost overly aggressive carbonation for this beer. Still drinks nicely for a 7% beer.

Overall: I really enjoy this jolly pumpkin beer. I should really consider more of there beers on a regular basis. Little pricey, but worth it.

My third attempt at trying a sour/wild. Bomber with a sticker that reads 'Blend 10 Bottled 8-27-10'

A - Brick red, orange/reddish brown. Cloudy. Small head that doesn't last.

S - Funk, Sour Cherry and apple. Not off putting for a beginner in this realm.

T - Much like the smell, i get tartness and sour cherry up front. Little bit of sour green apple. I taste a bit of nice oak, and funk as it glides across the tongue.

M - High on carbonation. Medium body.

D - The 7.2% isn't noticeable a bit, and for a sour I could drink this all night. Finished a bomber by myself without a problem.

As far as I'm concerned, this is an exceptional brew. I'm glad that I went with La Roja as my next attempt to appreciate sours. The wood, the sour and funk are extremely well balanced. I'd say this is a great sour for somebody who is just starting in this style.

Re-review notes 1/2/12 - la Roja was one of the first wild ales that tried and I loved it. I still think it is a quality brew, I just like different things in this style now. It's Tart, but does not have the lactic bite that I strive for. I readjusted my ratings based on what I felt after I recently tried nit. Still a great soured brown, and I'd like to see what this beast taste like with some age on it. I still think everybody should start with this beer if dabbling in the style, as it is a great example of what is to come when drinking further 'wild/sours'.

La Roja from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales