Maracaibo Especial | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by marburg on 02-28-2005

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

3.98/5  rDev 0%

Batch 958 bottled 12/14/2011. Served in a Dogfish Head snifter. Like every Jolly Pumpkin beer I've had, the bottle was a gusher (good thing I opened it over the sink). When the beer was safely in the glass I was treated to a slightly hazy, dark reddish-brown brew with a huge, well-sustained head. The nose doesn't say Brown Ale. I get woody, nutty notes, but also some tart fruit, spices, and a slight herbal quality.

The flavor is something unusual. You get a slightly fruity sweetness up front, reminiscent of toast with marmalade. Almost immediately, the sweetness turns slightly sour, like sweetened iced tea with lots of lemon. I definitely get cinnamon and orange peel at mid-palate and a nice, drying finish. The mouthfeel is a bit thin.

I'm not sure this beer should be classified as an American Brown Ale. The barrel-aging, spices, and wild yeasts may take some by surprise if they come looking for a mild, malty beer. This is a mild, acidic beer. An American Wild Brown Ale. Definitely something new and different. It reminds me that I still have much to learn.

4.12/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Slightly hazy mahogany with a thin layer of dense head.

S: Complex aroma that reminds me a little of a flanders red. Tobacco, oak, grape juice, cantaloupe, cinnamon, cocoa, cherries, some diacetyl, lemon peal. Fantastic aroma, mellow compared to the other JP beers I've had.

T: I think this beer finds an interesting sweet spot in terms of acidity. It's a lot less tart than Calabaza but the darker malts round everything off nicely. Highly drinkable.

M: Low carbonation with a creamy and very pleasant mouthfeel.

O: A great introductory sour beer, very complex and highly enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

2.75/5  rDev -30.9%

2.61/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance is brownish-copper with no appreciable head. There was some fine lacing on the glass, but not much.

The nose was too mild to discern much of anything - there was a touch of sourness, perhaps. The taste offers a quick shot of cocoa and then fruity sourness that was like biting into a beer flavored jolly rancher.

I've heard a great deal of good hype about Jolly Pumpkin, but my first try at one of their offerings was a complete disappointment. I will certainly try another of their beers, but I will certainly not believe the hype again until I taste the proof.

Maracaibo Especial from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales