Bière De Mars | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

4.09/5  rDev -1.2%

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From a 750 ml bottle to a wine glass.

A-A normal pour produces just less than a finger of white head. The retention is short and the beer leaves no lacing on the glass. The brew is dark honey in color and sort-of murky, dirty-water in appearance.

S-The aroma is musty and subtle with suggestions of wine vinegar, white grape, and green apple tartness. The malt aromas are caramel with a slight spice and dough flavor that reminds me of fruit cake. I'm not sure I'm into it.

T-The taste, like the smell, is a bit jumbled. I taste malt flavors like toffee, prune, and a musty wet wheat flavor. I also taste pear and apple fruit, and the aforementioned white grape. The fruitcake spice is still there too, lurking in the background with some white vinegar tartness. It is complex, but not in a good way.

M-The feel is medium in body with a smooth carbonation that stays active on my palate.

O-I had a hard time getting into this beer. There is just so much going on that I am not sure it all fits together. Between the tartness (that is typical of Jolly Pumpkin), the strange malt flavors, and the lighter flavors of apple and pear, it feels and tastes a bit odd to me. Oh well, I can see the appeal, but this beer is not for me.

Bière De Mars from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales