Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2.4/5  rDev -40.6%

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

2.93/5  rDev -27.5%

I don't know why I keep doing it... Despite never truly liking a beer from this eclectic Michigan brewery, I still doled out $10.99 for this 750ML Autumn seasonal bottle from Jolly Pumpkin Artisian Ales...
The aggressive oak-aged flavoring seems to render most of their brews extremely similar... Nothing too special in my opinon about this one despite obvious craftmanship in the making... Noticeable oak aroma, flavor, and finish paired with hints of chestnuts, bread, butter, caramel, and cinnamon... Interesting beer to say the least despite not particularly tickling my fancy...

2.94/5  rDev -27.2%

Batch 3, 2007

A - Uh-oh....looks like cloudy, unfiltered apple juice. Pours dead flat.

S - Rotting apples and somehow cheesy funk. Not necessarily the most appetizing beer I've ever smelled.

T, F - Yup, flat, and I have no idea why, as this beer isn't that old, and there was no visible problem with the cap; things looked to have been in fine condition. Tastes like alcoholic oaked apple juice, a nice flavor, but inexcusably flat.

D - Not good. I have no idea what happened to this beer. I paid too much for this; quite a disappointment for a beer that is only a year old. It cost way too much to be a drain pour, so I soldiered on.

3.09/5  rDev -23.5%

PoopGo rftg tar tvt tv

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours out deep orange, clear, with a moderate, frothy white head on top. Smell is estery...oak edged, almost some barnyard like elements. The oak/fruit combo seems common to JP beers...I like it.

Taste starts very sour, and then segues into yet more sour. Oak elements come in strongly, and the fruit esters also come into their own, providing a sweet off to the persistent sour. A lot of spice also is present. Strange sour/bitter closing. Not hoppy, almost like eating spice straight up... This flavour reminded me in several ways of Maracaibo mixed with Bier de Mars.

Mouth is average. It doesn't have a lot of action, but a bit of tingle here and there is enough to keep it even. Drinkability, moderate. It's a pretty easy drinking beer, but the flavour is a little odd and intense, and makes drinkability somewhat of an issue for me.

Fuego is the second Bier de Garde that I've had from Jolly Pumpkin, and while interesting, is another beer by them that I wasn't personally that impressed with. I like the fact that they're experimenting, but the strong, estery, oakey character that their beers all seem to have is not something that I find myself particularly caring for.

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

Pour a mahogany and bronze color with a tan and white head that dissipates very quickly.
Aroma has some white pepper, caramel malt and very sour, almost tnagy notes with some fall spices in the background.
Flavors of dark fruits are overhwhelmed by a big sour and tart oranege peel note that is followed by a chocolately type of hit. Transition is very odd and doesn't seem to flow well at all.
Mouthfeel is beyond medium-bodied but the overwhelming tartness makes this beer border on the brink of drinkability. The tart sour notes just overpower any subtlety what so ever and render it very one-dimensional.
Drinkability is simply average. A Belgian sour bomb, not my favorite style at all but this is by far the most mundane brew I've had from JP.

Fuego Del Otono, Autumn Fire from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales