Bam Bière | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Bam BièreBam Bière

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
jollypumpkin.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

This delicious farmhouse ale is named for our Jack Russell, who struck by a car, bounced back in fine tenacious Jack Russell fashion, and is brewed for those of us who knocked down, have picked up, dusted off and carried on undaunted. Golden, naturally cloudy, bottle conditioned and dry hopped for a perfectly refreshing balance of spicy malts, hops and yeast. Please enjoy our beers in good health, And look both ways when crossing the street!

Added by nomad on 02-04-2006

Ratings: 1,404 |  Reviews: 652
3.77/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into tulip from bottle. Massive, massive head! About 2 inches I swear Hazy yellow, some sediment, good retention and lacing. Very sour/tart smell, some grain, and spice, but I keep getting the sour which I thought was fine. Taste is about the same. Some grain and general earthiness, yeast, some spices and a little tart to it. Pretty good I thought. Mouthfeel was very light, lots of carbonation and almost a little too thin. Would probably be refreshing on a hot summer day. Overall a good beer, not the most memorable but fine nevertheless.

2.73/5  rDev -30.7%

22 oz bottle split with Beerwolf77. Poured into my Unibroue tulip. Batch 401 sticker on the back. No other info.

Thanks to Sweemzander for this bottle! Haven't had Jolly Pumpkin before.

A - Totally clear golden yellow with bubbles constantly coming up to a well formed white head. Good retention with moderate lace left on the glass.

S - A light horseblanket funk hides behind a mildly spice pale malt and wheat nose. The most interesting thing about this beer is the hint of salsa. To make it interesting, there is also some weird wet wood too. The nose is all over the place. It changes constantly with the head level.

T - Despite the abundant nose, the flavor is harshly lacking. Very thin and watered down pale malts and a mild spice hint with an insanely dry finish. Where did all the flavor from the nose go?

M - Sparkling like champagne and as thin bodied. Watery with an intensely dry and lightly bitter finish.

D - Not what I was hoping for after the nose. It's not terrible but definitely disappointing for the first Jolly Pumpkin. Maybe it's old?

2.51/5  rDev -36.3%

BeerFMAndy decided to share this beer with me. Thanks(I think).

The beer pours a crystal clear golden yellow with an enormous white head that nearly escapes my glass. The head rests on top like a thick dollop of whipped cream and just sort of camps out. It litterally hung around for several minutes. Decent lace rings are left in its wake (looks can be decieving)

The aroma is a whirlwind of olfactory dichatamies. I picked out a strong woody aroma. Then that changed to black pepper mixed with apples. This then faded to a funky barnyard, wet straw mix. I then picked up a black earth grassy tone in the finish. Very complex.

The flavor is WTF! Super dry an tart. This reminds me of perrie sparkling water. Light black pepper and a hint of yeast. There really isn't even a whole lot of flavor period. Just what is there is as foul as I've ever tasted. We passed this beer along to other people in the house and got the same reaction so it wasn't just me. I believe someone said it tasted like "having perfume sprayed in your mouth." I've had plenty of saisons and this ain't what I remember one tasting like.

The body was medium to light with moderate carbonation. Dry dry dry. The Sahara desert thinks this beer is dry.

Overall the look and the smell were fine. That's the only redeeming qualities of this beer. Never again. Drain pour city! I hate it when someone cracks a beer with you and it turns out horrible. Sorry Andy.

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

A- Poured from the bottle with a thin white head, which quickly receded to a white collar. The body was a hazy pale yellow color, which did not seem to exhibit any visible carbonation.

S- FUNK (brett and pedio?) with aromas of leather and lemongrass. Smells quite interesting, yet light and zesty!

T- A perfect replicate of the nose... packed with funky, leathery and lemongrass flavors. Finish is long and funky, turning a bit earthy at the end.

M- Thin and highly attenuated. Not unlike others I have sampled in the style... just nothing impressive. A nice soft carbonation scores it a notch above average in the mouthfeel department.

D- A wonderfully complex, delicious and sessionable brew. Never would have guessed it to come from the US!!

4.42/5  rDev +12.2%

Bottle was opened straight from the fridge. A bit of a gusher but I didn't lose too much.
Let it sit for an hour or so before very gently pouring into a Chimay goblet.

Pours a perfectly clear gold. A very bare bit of white head. It falls into a thin island in the middle. Playful carbonation. Very little lace but that may be because of my housemates handling of my glasses.

Aroma is bright, as clear as the color. Tart melody with a harmony of spiciness. Bass riff of earthy funk. There's light orchard fruits in there, way in the background.

A light sweetness just starts when it's overtaken by a sturdy but polished bitterness. Pithy. Finish is a wonderful blend of bitter, sour, spice with a long lingering dryness.

Generally light on the palate with a good amount of carbonation.

It's been a while since I had either a saison or JP brew. The aftertaste was such that I wanted time to enjoy it but the dryness kept me coming back. A lovely version of one of my favorite styles.

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Acquired via trade...thanks Frank. 750 ml bottle poured into a snifter. No abv info is given. Batch 407/408.

A-Pours a semi-hazy straw yellow with a one finger off white head that some some great retention. The head results in some really nice lace patterns. Lots of bubbles can be seen rising and there is also some visible sediment floating around.

S-The nose isn't overly complex. It is definitely rustic smelling thanks to some nice barnyard funk. There is also some noticeable lemon that livens it up.

T-It starts out nicely with barnyard funk. Midsip is when the lemon kicks in and gives it a nice tart character. The funk returns as it goes down. There is a nice level of bitterness in between sips.

M-Lighter bodied with very active carbonation. It has a tart, dry, and crisp finish.

D-A refreshing low abv farmhouse ale.

I really enjoyed this beer. The low abv makes this a great session beer. Would gladly buy more of this one.

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%

Batch 273,274

Bottle conditioned, 1 pt., 9.4 fl. OZ.

A - straw yellow with some gold highlights, pillowy soft head retention, vibrant co2 release. this beer looks refreshing.

S - This bottle has some age on it... im kicking myself for not drinking this one sooner. Brett takes the forefront with citrusy lemon peel, some tropical fruits but that big unmistakable medicinal/barnyard funkiness... nearly Orval-like. Some grainy notes, some light notes of fresh cut grass. The brett wins the aroma battle, hop character has dimished quite a bit.

T - The brett character is much more tame in the flavor then it is in the aroma. There is a bit more hop character (bitterness and flavor) as well. Think of lemon and orange rind. Lemon acidity, medicinal flavors with a background of grainy/doughy maltiness blend in with the brett/hop character. The flavor is fairly balanced but i think would do much more justice a bit more fresh.

M - Bright carbonation and bone dry... no astringency, no sweetness... it makes this beer so damn refreshing.

D - All day. If this beer was a bit more inexpensive, I would have this around all the time. Very refreshing, I imagine even more so during the summer months. Will try again a bit more fresh.

3.32/5  rDev -15.7%

The Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere Farmhouse Ale is the second of this style that I've tried (the first being the Liquid Sun Saison from Rock Bottom Brewing). Given the amount of darker beers that I've been enjoying lately, this was a refreshing dip into the lighter end of the beer pool...hmmm...beer pool. Upon pouring, I noticed a whole lot of head on this beer and a cloudy, light golden color. It seems a lot of beers I've tried have had pretty wimpy heads, so this was really refreshing. Expect some malt, spice, lemon and very fruity notes when you take a whiff. There is a slight sourness to the taste at first, but it mellows out to being a bit sweeter fruit flavor. The beer finishes smooth with a touch of bitterness. It was enjoyable, but nothing so enjoyable I'd make a particular effort to get it.

Appearance - 3.5/5.0 - really heady, cloudy light golden color
Smell - 4.0/5.0 - fruit aroma, malty, spicy, lemony
Taste - 3.0/5.0 - slighty sour, but mellow taste - nothing that sharp or anything
Feel - 3.5/5.0 - not aftertaste, smooth, some bitterness at end
Drinkability - 3.0/5.0 - ok, but nothing to write home about

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

Split a 750 with my roommate. Poured into wide snifter.

A- Caramel, orange, and yellow mixed together with a frothy two-finger head in my snifter. Looks damn impressive, if I do say so myself.

S- FUNKY. Wow. Brett, tart, wet dog, musty clothes, grassiness, and mild overripe fruit.

T- Very good. The tartness and sourness is there, but the sweetness adds depth. This beer is more than it appears at first sip. While I feel like it lacks a certain 'punch' that a higher ABV might have delivered, for a 4.5% beer it is pretty damn tasty. A unique farmhouse, a tad bit funkier than most I've had. Fruity pear and unripe banana, mild grass clippings, and some notes I can't quite put my finger on. Tasty, though.

M- Tart, light, and highly carbonated. Nice. Very dry.. Moreso than I'm used to seeing.

D- Moderately high. An easy drink, but I took my time with this one to draw it all in. And I'm glad I did.. this is a very good beer and Jolly Pumpkin is 2 for 2 in my book!

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

750mL bottle poured into a tulip. Batch #291. How old or fresh is this? No info on their website.

(A)- Pours a cloudy yellow goldenrod color that produced a huge fluffy & billowy white head, that as it slowly dissipated, is leaving clumps of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. Decent retention.

(S)- A straw-like grassy note with lemon & lime citrus. Yeasty with a thick clay in the background. Light biscuits that turn to hay.

(T)- Really dry with a predominant grassy/hay field-like barnyard funk. Good lightly sweet lemon citrus in the background. Finishes dry with the tiniest twinge of bitterness.

(M)- Dry, yet has a crisp bite. A playful carbonation level that fizzes to life on the tongue. Great balance and complexity of flavors that fits the style very well. Very traditional with no surprises.

(D)- At first, I didnt like this at all. The more I had of it the better it got if that makes sense. Primarily barnyard/prairie characteristics with a delicate citrus to it that make it an invigorating farmhouse that rolls off your tongue. Well done Jolly Pumpkin!

3.41/5  rDev -13.5%

From 10/24/09 notes. Batch 324/325. 750 ml poured into a tulip glass.

Excellent bright white rocky head with incredible retention. Right on par with the best Belgian style ales. Very hazy blonde colored body. Beers don't get much better looking than this.

Initial aroma is of tart yeast (a thing with Jolly Pumpkin brews I've tried to this point) along with some spice, mildly bitter hops, and a pleasant earthy character.

Flavor is also fairly tart and also somewhat grainy. Hints of the spice I picked up on the nose are also detectable. Very clean for the most part but the mild phenolic character that can be present in this style comes out a little much for my tastes. Not that it's strong, probably just not enough other flavors to keep it in check.

I have to say I started to feel less enthusiastic about this one as I went. I was kind of excited about a nice drinkable low ABV American Saison but this one just didn't do it for me. I'm not likely to purchase again.

3.98/5  rDev +1%

GLASS: Tulip
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
BATCH 280/281

Pours a golden yellow color, with a slight orange tint and a light touch of haziness. A massive head of loose white foam sits on top. Retention is good and lacing is in little, sticky spots.

Big yeastiness. Lots of barnyard funk. Wet hay. A very nice sourness. Unripened grapes and tart apples are prominent.

The sourness gets you first, but it is relatively mild and totally enjoyable. Then you get a nice amount of earthy/wheaty notes. A mild level of yeastiness. Very minor presence of hops. This is all covered in a funk blanket, which is once again on the mild side.
All-in-all, this is quite a nicely balanced and enjoyable flavor profile.

Medium bodied beer with a high carbonation level. It is crisp, light and refreshing. The bubbles are almost going into soda pop territory, but not quite.

Very drinkable. Especially in the realm of sours. This would be a great one to get someone started into the world of sours.

2.85/5  rDev -27.7%

Review from notes taken 10 15 09. Poured from tap at Jolly Pumpkin Ann Arbor into a clean, clear glass.

A Slightly cloudy but otherwise nearly clear, light yellow body with little to no head. 3.0

S Slight citrus to the nose. Really not much smell here. Interesting since the Hefe/Bam mix carried a more significant lemon citrus aroma. 3.0

T Well, really straight forward lemony citrus taste without a lot of complexity at all. 2.5

M Thin but made to feel a bit fuller by the lemon citrus tartness. 3.5

D Fair since it is, to me, such a one dimensional beer, it does not carry enough interest to want to drink it repeatedly. 3.0

Notes: I had seen this in bottles and read about it here on BA many times. I was looking forward to trying it here on tap. It is a fine, artisan beer but it is too one dimensional for me.

3.87/5  rDev -1.8%

A - light and cloudy like a thick fruit juice, small head with little to no lacing

S - sweet and pleasant

T - refreshingly sour, a little thin at the end but a pleasant bitter flavor helps to hide it

M - slightly over-carbonated and thin

D - very refreshing, easy to drink, would be a great session beer on a hot day or while tailgating.

Bam Biere is a sour beer that could be widely appreciated.

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy yellow body with a musty, funky, grassy, barnyardy aroma. Taste starts flat with an salty, effervescent selztery quality, moves into a tart mid-palate followed by a sharp, hop bitterness in the finish. A touch overcarbonated, even for the style.

The aroma is this beer's high point, but I would recommend this beer to a Saison drinker on the strength of the aroma alone.

4.04/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Large 2 to 3 fingers of extra active, foamy white head. Leaves a surprising amount of head. Cloudy yellow in color with little dirty brown yeast chunks settled on the bottom of the glass.

S: Bright, vibrant, clean lemon. Noticeable tartness.

T: Predominantly lemon. Less predominantly green apple. With a mild sweetness and a little sour yeast twang. Slightly acidic.

M: Light with high carbonation. Clean. Tart.

D: Good beer. Highly refreshing and not a funky as some other JP beers can be. But that is not a bad thing either. Reminds me of carbonated, not-very-sweet lemonade. Fun and enjoyable.

3.45/5  rDev -12.4%

Presentation: 750ml brown bottle, pop top, with nice label..."batch 291"...poured out into a Hennepin saison glass...been looking forward to this one for a long time

Appearance: Slightly hazy dark golden beer with light carbonation, a big billowy bright white head which soon fades to a thick, patchy film with good retention

Smell: Lots of tart funkiness; this is bright, citrusy, and a bit wild, kinda musty, just a bit of sugariness as well...typical of Jolly Pumpkin's brews

Taste: The flavors aren't nearly as intense as the aromas suggest (I'm wondering if this has to do with the beer being bottled some 18 months ago...my local bottle shop just got a case of this in, so I think this might be as fresh as it gets)...there is some mild fruity tartness and definitely some funk...and then a big hit of hoppy bitterness on the finish...

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied

Drinkability: Medium

Conclusion: I was really looking forward to this, and I must say, I was a bit underwhelmed...I absolutely loved JP's Calabaza Blanca, but this was just a bit light on flavor, not quite providing the intensity the aromas suggest...I would probably not get this to drink again by itself unless I could get a fresher batch, but it did pair nicely with a crostini with mild goat cheese

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

Pint glass on tap.

Vibrant sunny golden yellow with a whispy effervesant head and slight lace. Bubbly.

Smells like sweet tart candies-fruity easters, wheat malts and spicey hops.

Taste is a tart and spicey refreshing. There is a lingering spicey hop quality that is enjoyable. Also the cask conditioning comes through this beer in the finish-ripe melon and lemon zest.

This might be one of the best hot day beers I have in a while. The modest ABV makes this a great summer day session beer.

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%

Inviting sunny golden yellow in color with a brilliant white, yet whispy head. Carbonation bubbles rise continuously up the sides of the glass.

Smells fruity and tart/sour, with notes of pear, and granny smith apple skin, and pineapple. Some honey and some earthy, funky back notes. Herbs--mint (hops?), perhaps chives.

Taste is an initial rush of fruit and tartness, then a big hit of puckery sourness. Tastes of apples, lemons, some butteriness. A hint of bubblegum. Finish is clean, tart, and quick.

Mouthfeel is creamy, silky, and effervescent all at once. Refreshingly light in the mouth. Drinkability is high for that reason, though some points are taken away for the tartness.

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Hazy yellowish orange color with an enormous rocky off-white head that slowly slowly settles down. Lots of chunky lacings.

S: The smell is really good. Refreshing fruit aromas, floral notes and a mild funkiness reside on a delicate biscuity malty backbone. Hints of spices and medicinal phenols.

T: The taste is surprisingly clean with notes of lemon-peel and melon up front. The fruits quickly step aside and make way for spices, faint malts and grassy and earthy hop notes. A very mild funkiness and a semi-tart note is overpowered by a moderate sweetness. The finish is surprisingly short, mildly tart and bitter with notes of medicinals, spices, minerals and brett flavors.

M: Medium body, crisp and refreshing with a rather aggressive carbonation. The finish is really dry.

D: I like this one, and in general I find Jolly Pumpkin's brett character quite pleasing. Perhaps Bam Bière can't compete with the best Belgian representatives of the style, but it's quite close.

4.48/5  rDev +13.7%

A: Hazy, light golden color with a rocky head.

S: Refreshing citrus notes, spicy yeast aspects and a great earthiness.

T: Flavorful and refreshing at the same time. A great blend of hops and saison complexity.

M: Amazingly light with a really nice, extremely dry finish. This, to me, is exactly what a saison should be like.

D: All the flavor you could ever ask for in a 4.5% beer.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance - Pours a very cloudy/hazy golden orange hue with just loads of white fluffy head that dissipates slowly. Great lacing follows.

Smell - Very floral with a nice sweet overtone (malty) with some apple sent wafting up my nostrils.

Taste - Tastes fruity - funky. A very nice tartness to it and it follows up and finishes nice and dry.

Mouthfeel - Light body with a decent amount of carbonation. Fits this beer well and it feels pretty good when I quaff a bit of this down.

Drinkability - Very drinkable. First time I had this I was at the Jolly Pumpkin satalite brewery up in Traverse City Michigan. My father and brother-in-law got a pitcher of this and sat on the deck outside looking at lake Michigan through some tall pine trees. Extremely enjoyable in such a nice cool setting. This beer will always be associated with good times with family.

3.51/5  rDev -10.9%

750 mL bottle with a label that reads Batch 280/281.

A: The beer is a murky gold color with ample amounts of rocky head that clings nicely to the side of the goblet. Retention is above average and never disappears completely.

S: Strong spicy notes and some muted hop aromas. A faint earthy must is also present. There are too many competing aromas for me, and none really stand out.

T: Crisp taste of lightly toasted malt with strong peppery notes. Hop balance is present in the back of the mouth, but no noticable flavor contributions. I got a faint note of sourness when the beer was refrigerator cold, but that has disappeared as the beer has warmed.

M: Light and effervescent. The overall feel is fairly dry. No residual sweetness is left on the tongue.

D: Not my favorite farmhouse ale. I *can* drink it, but I'd prefer to be drinking something else.

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a glowing straw color with a frothy beige head.

Nose has tart citrus, bready malts and a nice farmyard funk presence.

The wild yeast is not as evident in the nose. Still a good farmhouse though, well balanced.

Crisp body drinks well. Nothing like a funky Saison.

Considering how much I enjoy JP's other brews, I can't beleive how long I waited to try Bam. Another impressive offering from this impressive Michigan brewery.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to brianj555 for this 12 oz bottle.

A: The saison is a beautiful hazy golden yellow color. Sitting still in the glass, the ale look still but a thin pool of head, originally 3/4 of a finger, tries to lace.

S: The nose is refreshingly dirty, citrusy and tart with an aroma that refuses to back down. Pepper and barnyard highlight the funk. Brett has kicked this ale's ass.

T: The saison's taste, being rather muted, is a nice foundation for the funk to build off of. A dry, Belgian-yeast dominated landscape is a nice accompaniment to the brett. Both are dry but the Belgian saison side has a mild fruitiness that stands up to the citric funk. A peppery flourish unites the saison and the funk. The sharp lemony tartness towards the end of the sip leaves a nice flourish.

M: The funk and citrus are a nice combination, almost yielding an anise flavor. The lemony citrus leaves a pleasing tartness. This is what a wild saison should be.

D: Weighing in under 5% with this flavor profile? It's hard to imagine. The ale is dirty and proud of it.

Bam Bière from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales