Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by Shovelbum on 02-12-2006

Ratings: 1,019 |  Reviews: 382

1.12/5  rDev -70.6%

Q: Can a good beer go bad in the bottle while waiting for a good home?

I am so sorry to rate like this, but this Stout had all the markings and ambiance I was looking for, but is the only beer in my known history that I leapt from the table to wash my mouth out upon first taste. Please, someone tell me the whole lot is not this way.

But just in case... This beer poured black as a cold night, just what I like! But didn't head very much. And what little head (foam) appeared was brownish and collected around the rim. The smell was acidic, sour, and had a full body underneath, but was overpowering in the sour. Upon first taste, it was not a swell of flavors, rather a sharp and staunch attack on the taste buds. I tried to stomach through, but could not withstand. I did, literally, jump up and run for the sink.

I double-checked afterward, and had the same reaction. I asked for a second opinion, and my wife, too, thought there was something wrong.

If anyone believes a beer could go bad, like it sat on the ocean floor for 100yrs after a shipwreck, just got brought to the surface and we're tasting for posterity sake, please let me know. I hate to give a bad rating if something was wrong with the juice. But if this is the way it's supposed to taste, believe me, it's not for the weak at heart.

I was really looking forward to a stout with my T-bone. :-(

1.18/5  rDev -69%

Not a stout - more like a gusher sour

1.27/5  rDev -66.7%

Looked to be ok, smell, ah....taste....yuck! Disgusting is a gift for how this beer tastes. Truly undrinkable.... I took three drinks, tried hard to like each drink....cringed each sip and unfortunately, yet thankfully, poured this bottle of shit down the drain. The drain even puckered as it reluctantly accepted the shitty contents of this bottle.

Appearance, not bad....looked ok
Smell, a bit off, but wanted to try this beer
Taste, yeah this is where everything went to shit...sour nasty filtered through a dirty pair of underwear taste...repulsive
Mouthfeel...the taste just made it downright tough to swallow this crap
Overall, disgusting

The really unfortunate thing...I traded some good beer for this crap! Yuck!

1.41/5  rDev -63%

2008 Bottle, Batch 266.

Popped the cap and beer gushed like Mt. St. Helen's. Made a nice sticky mess all over the floor. Placed the bottle in the sink and it proceeded to spew beer all down the drain. Poured softly into an oversized snifter producing 3+ inches of dark brown froth. This has the appearance of infection.
Black in color, no light penetration, slick thin legs of lace.

Aroma of wet cardboard, sour funk, fermented cherries and boozy heat. As well as roasted grain and dark bitter chocolate and a little chemical cleaning solution.
Taste....to be completely honest this tastes like shit. I haven't eaten shit, but this is what I imagine shit tastes like. Dark burnt grains, burnt coffee, dads burnt food he forgot on the grill. This leaves a horrible aftertaste. Fermented cherries, just an awful mess.
Mouthfeel is thin and extremely over carbonated.

Horrid beer.

1.46/5  rDev -61.7%

Poured from a 1.5 year old bottle into my troegs glass...

A: Standard black, builds a thick, unrelenting, microbe fueled chocolate head. Wayyyy too much head for a stout.

S: Sour...microbe...jolly pumpkin funk. No roasted/alcohol smells to be found. Funk is good in certain styles, not what I want to smell when I open a stout.

T: Terrible. This was officially my first drain pour...ever. Lots of jolly pumpkin style funkiness, a flat bitter finish. This was the biggest letdown I've ever had. Perhaps sour stouts just aren't for me. Sour funk isn't what I look for in a stout, and I think the microbes worked on this one a tad too long.

M: Thin and watery.

D: Again, was a drain pour. Not too drinkeable. IMHO the worst offering from Jolly Pumpkin I've had.

1.5/5  rDev -60.6%

A- Black with a dark brown head, spewed everywhere upon opening

S- Sweet fruits

T- Sour, tart watery, lots of carbonation

M- Watery and fizzy

O- Not a stout at all, nothing about it is a stout except maybe the color. It is a dark sour, terrible lableling and garbage for a stout

1.5/5  rDev -60.6%

1.51/5  rDev -60.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Looks ok, black, what else do you expect a stout to look like, right. Barely any head, ok overall.

Smell is sour with a hint of roast. More than sour, acidic. Not nice, no way I was expecting this. Did not like it at all.

Taste is plain awful. I like sour beers, but this is more acetic than lactic. Vinegar. That's good for salad dressing, not for beer. And if you add the roast to the mix... What kind of joke is this? Not a good one.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Where's the creaminess of an imperial stout? Is this infected or was done like this on purpose?

Overall an awful beer. I'm glad I paid $2 for a taste rather than $14 (YES, $14) for a 12oz pour. Bad beer, bad price, great disappointment. Why had I ever heard anything good about this beer? I do not get it. Will not try again.

Cheers!

1.56/5  rDev -59.1%

The back of the bottle reads "Blend 2, 2010.

I got this beer as a birthday present from a very good friend.
I appreciate his effort to give me a beer I never had before but I will most likely never drink this beer again.

This beer has a very sour scent, it smells almost rancid. It's very tart. I don't see why they categorized this beer as a stout. It only looks like a stout.
I don't taste almost any malt in it. This beer has a very vine-like character. The taste is extremely sour.
This beer is very hard to drink.

1.6/5  rDev -58%

750 ML bottle & let's get right to it.

Pours dead black, plenty of carbonation that races right up to the edge of the glass. Smell is pretty nice, chocolate, roast, but a bit on the light side. That's OK.

Madrugada Obscura should be bloody fucking sued for false advertising. This is either god-awfully infected or brutally intentional & not noted on the label. Straight-up vinegar, with a backdrop of sour puss. Three sips. Done.

Fucking offal. If this was intended, shame on Jolly Pumpkin. If it's not, shame on Jolly Pumpkin. This blows. Drain pour.

1.72/5  rDev -54.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Blend 4 (Jan. 2011). Opened on November 11, 2011.

Huge gusher here. Poured as quickly as I could into my glass - managed to get 3-4 ounces in before the head brimmed over the lip. I poured more into a second glass. And guess what? The beer still managed to slow gush out of the bottle, even as only 4-6 ounces remained in it.

The beer itself has a massive lightly-tanned head. Dark, dark purple.

Oak, leather, licorice, and sour cherries on the nose. A tiny bit of chocolate, but this one has a fairly "spoiled" lactic acid plus funk nose.

Immediately tart, with some sweet and tart cherry. A good bit of roasted, bitter malts hit the mid-palate. Not a pleasant transition on the palate - to boot, I don't even like the opening note - with a woody/oaky finish. Some lactic acidity; lots of vinegar/acetic acid. Weird, spoiled fruit with the bitter and sweet chocolate just doesn't work.

Medium full with high carbonation.

I normally like JP, and I knew the style coming in, but this just doesn't do it for me: overcarbonated, too bitter, major sour milk component, disjointed. I drainpoured what the drain hadn't already claimed. I'm guessing this is better "fresh."

1.75/5  rDev -54.1%

1.78/5  rDev -53.3%

Blend3, 2010 on the back of the bottle.

So far not impressed with this beer. I opened the cap slightly to release the pressure and after a few seconds it started oozing out the opening. Not beer - just head. I finally got the cap off after draining some of the foam and it just oozed out like soft serve ice cream. After pouring a bit off and getting a glass full of foam, the bottle kept oozing.

Extremely sour scent - it smells almost rancid. There is nothing stout, Belgian, nor any combination of the two in this. Very tart and unpleasant.

The taste is similar, though I do detect some presence of roasted malt, black coffee and even chocolate. Not as bad, bit still very sour. If most imperial/double stouts display a wine-like character, this would be vinegar.

Mouthfeel is decent in terms of carbonation, but this is very thin and not at all stout-like.

Very hard to drink. A struggle. Bad bottle, bad batch? Even after letting it breathe and warm there is negligible improvement. Definitely not worth repeating.

1.84/5  rDev -51.7%

Note here that I can understand that people enjoy their sours. I cannot attest to being an expert on all styles, or even enjoy all styles enough to judge their worth effectively...

That being said, if you call a beer a Russian Imperial Stout that is "Brimming of roasted malts and bitter hops)", and it turns out it's actually a sour ale (with NO heads-up whatsoever on the bottle giving you a hint that this is actually a sour), I think it's understandable to be irritated after dumping a fair amount of cash into what you thought was a barrel-aged stout.

So, because of the poor labeling, I believe I can rightfully critique this as a Russian Imperial Stout. After all, if I order a cheese burger and you give me a salad, I think I can safely call it a terrible burger on account of the lack of beef and cheese.

The appearance is a 4. Looks like a Russian Imperial Stout. Dark, with a little bit of a head (not that much, but it's understandable being barrel aged). The lack of head is what knocked it down to a 4.

Smell is a 2.5. While not offensive (kind of citrusy), this is where you start to have your doubts about what you're drinking.

For taste, I give it a 1. There is no hint of the dark roasted malt or the heavy hops that characterizes a Russian Imperial Stout. The palate is overwhelmed by sour. Being unaccustomed to sour beer, I honestly couldn't taste the beer over the lemon juice. Again, I'm not judging sour beer as a whole. I don't care for it, but understand that others may be fond of it. That being said, it might be a great sour beer, but it's a god-awful Russian Imperial Stout. The only thing that it has in common with an RIS is the color.

Mouthfeel is a 3. I can't honestly say that the mouthfeel was offensive (the mouth-taste was doing the heavy-lifting there). Nor can I say the mouthfeel was spectacular. It was average.

Overall I give it a 1. It is the absolute worst RIS I've ever had, and had to drain pour. I apologize for the soap box, but I believe Jolly Pumpkin needs to label their product better. Otherwise I might just start selling tap-water and call it Scottish Ale.

1.93/5  rDev -49.3%

I looked this up to see if they had a batch gone bad and I got a bottle. But from the reviews it seems the funk is the norm. I could not get past it, I had to dump it. I opened the bottle and it kept gushing. I still think I might have had a bad one. It tasted like a home brew gone bad. Too bad, I like their other beers a lot. The appearance was lovely and I was very excited. I was not expecting a sour beer, I was looking forward to something dark and roasted. I really don't know if I can judge this beer from this bottle. Did anyone else have one that was just over the top yucky? Or do I just not like this style?

I generally enjoy sours and most other Jolly Pumpkin offerings out there, but this is way too sour for a stout and besides the dark appearance there are no other stout characteristics. Plus too much of a vinegar taste. Definitely outside of the bell curve on this one.

2.15/5  rDev -43.6%