Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Ratings: 1,018 |  Reviews: 381

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the single beer that got me started in artisan brew. Got a glass of it at the famous Lion's Pride in Brunswick, Maine where I currently live. My first sip of this sour ale was like getting hit by a bus of exotic flavor. I had never dreamed of such a full throttle experience from "just" a beer. This instance completely changed my views of beer. Sure I had special craft and micro brews but this was an introduction into something so much more. A passion had been ignited. So all of that being said, this is a very important beer to me and I finally decided to properly review it. Picked up a bottle for $15 at Bootleggers. Allons-y!

A- I am full aware of the criticism this drink has received as an allegedly calling itself incorrectly an Imperial Stout, when in reality it belongs to a much different class. Although the pitch black with a streak of dark brown suggests a stout I do agree with the misnaming. Mild carbonation with a finger of head leaves barely any lacing.

S-Major tart, sour fruity vinegar, almost grapefruit or sour apple...hard to tell

T-Oh so sour, but such sweet bliss, as a full on assault on your taste buds begins. A blitz of funky lemon, cherry, vinegar possibly grapefruit and apple. Not much yeast detected and the sour overwhelms everything including the alcohol.

MF- Heavier carbonation then it looks, very mysterious and full feel complete with intense puckerage.

Overall, one of those you kinda have to taste to believe. Very intense, quite potent, and a true adventure. I thank god for this beer because it showed me the way of respecting beer.

4.09/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark black. Moderate brown head.

S: Roasted pumpkin smell.

T: Sour pumpkin dominates malt. Light hop flavor. Near-rotten fruit but pleasant.

M: Light and upfront feel. Thinness made up for slightly by fruit profile.

Overall 4.25
In-style 3.75
Note: This is an interesting and unique beer but is not characteristic for a stout. Was slightly disappointed but should have known.

1.84/5  rDev -51.7%

Note here that I can understand that people enjoy their sours. I cannot attest to being an expert on all styles, or even enjoy all styles enough to judge their worth effectively...

That being said, if you call a beer a Russian Imperial Stout that is "Brimming of roasted malts and bitter hops)", and it turns out it's actually a sour ale (with NO heads-up whatsoever on the bottle giving you a hint that this is actually a sour), I think it's understandable to be irritated after dumping a fair amount of cash into what you thought was a barrel-aged stout.

So, because of the poor labeling, I believe I can rightfully critique this as a Russian Imperial Stout. After all, if I order a cheese burger and you give me a salad, I think I can safely call it a terrible burger on account of the lack of beef and cheese.

The appearance is a 4. Looks like a Russian Imperial Stout. Dark, with a little bit of a head (not that much, but it's understandable being barrel aged). The lack of head is what knocked it down to a 4.

Smell is a 2.5. While not offensive (kind of citrusy), this is where you start to have your doubts about what you're drinking.

For taste, I give it a 1. There is no hint of the dark roasted malt or the heavy hops that characterizes a Russian Imperial Stout. The palate is overwhelmed by sour. Being unaccustomed to sour beer, I honestly couldn't taste the beer over the lemon juice. Again, I'm not judging sour beer as a whole. I don't care for it, but understand that others may be fond of it. That being said, it might be a great sour beer, but it's a god-awful Russian Imperial Stout. The only thing that it has in common with an RIS is the color.

Mouthfeel is a 3. I can't honestly say that the mouthfeel was offensive (the mouth-taste was doing the heavy-lifting there). Nor can I say the mouthfeel was spectacular. It was average.

Overall I give it a 1. It is the absolute worst RIS I've ever had, and had to drain pour. I apologize for the soap box, but I believe Jolly Pumpkin needs to label their product better. Otherwise I might just start selling tap-water and call it Scottish Ale.

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%