Noel De Calabaza | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Noel De CalabazaNoel De Calabaza

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
jollypumpkin.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

"Belgian Christmas Ale aged in oak barrels."

Added by BeerBeing on 10-21-2007

Ratings: 1,020 |  Reviews: 425

Batch 333/334 (I guess they mixed 'em) 16.9 oz Bottle

Poured into my new 16.5oz Cervoise from BeerAdvocate, thanks guys for the cheap set. More money for great beer.

Appearance: Dark sort of brown with a redish hint to it, beautiful lacing, not too much not too little perfection.

Smell: First thought is wine, second is malt, then some spices

Taste: winey fruity, sour aftertaste, but soft enough to be very drinkable

MouthFeel: surprisingly great, almost feel the lacing on your cheeks.

Drinkable: I agree with Sevenfiftymilly 10!

I had the privilege to visit this brewery but only one 16.9oz bottle of Noel left. I'm buying more next Christmas, if you get a chance buy it, and absolutely age one.

Special Ale indeed.

Not to mention great, great artwork, Mahalo to Laurie Jeffries who was so friendly when I came in to buy her families awesome beer. I love the Black Beard flag.

4.98/5  rDev +23.3%

Poured a deep murky red with lots of foam to spare. Smelled like rotten apples, dates, figs, and sour grapes with an uncannily deep funk perfect for the cold weather. Tasted just as funky as it smelled with the Brettanomyces (I guess) and the oak barrel aging working its magic with the nutty malts to to create a magical flavor. Mouthfeel was just as strange and as wonderful as the beer's other characteristics -- heavy and boozy for a sour or wild ale, light and carbonated for a Belgian strong ale. Overall I love this beer with its perfect and wildly unexpected marriage of dark fruit and roasted malt with crazy yeasty funkiness.

4.95/5  rDev +22.5%

*Batch: 626, Bottled: 9-29-10 (Aged a little over a year)

Poured from a 750ml into a standard tulip glass. Extremely dark brown in color with a large fluffy off-white head that hangs around through out. Smells slightly of vinegar and fermented grapes, sweetness and malt. Taste is incredibly smooth.. vanilla, Light vinegar and fermented grapes coming through. A little oak, some cherries, pear, and sour apples. After taste is similar to La Roja with a slight oaky finish and that of vinegar and sweet malt. All well balanced through out, simply perfect. This beer just made my list of favorites overall.

*also I love the label artwork big time!

4.94/5  rDev +22.3%

4.92/5  rDev +21.8%

This beer pours a mahogany color with a billowy egg shell white head that recedes slowly leaving sticky lacing. Like Pavlov's dog I salivate to the aroma of this beer...literally. It is of bretta, oak, plums, and a vague spice notes. The taste is sour and tart upfront with a hop kick that is stronger than I had expected. It finishes with with a firm sourness, oak, and some heat. The mouthfeel is full bodied with a high level of fine carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is a wonderful beer. I can see this beer pairing well with a wide variety of foods. I will certainly drink this again may times.

4.89/5  rDev +21%

Wow! Where did I score this?!? Fantastiche! The nose was musty, brett-laden, and simply wild. There was a thin, light brown head, but it quickly reduced to wisps. The color was a deep brown with ruby highlights. Mouthfeel was thick and efferevscent with just a touch of the characteristic J. P. sourness. There was a bite on the tongue, but nowhere as overpowering as some of the Pumpkin's offerings. The finish lingered with a great bite, but again, not so intense as to put off the uninitiated. It may have been my aging (dated 2, 2007), but I would serve this to guests without hesitation.

4.84/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Batch 4. Overcarbonated (hello Brett!), but glorious for Christmas Eve! Brett beautifully blended with the dark ale flavours and oak. I could drink this forever!

4.84/5  rDev +19.8%

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%

Blend 2, 2009

This is one hell of a beer!! I'd almost swear I was drinking my favorite Belgian quadruple. Hell, this might replace my favorite during the season.

A: Pours a nice brown with red hues coming through. This one has some major angry carbonation. I tried my normal vigorous pouring method and I ended up with a fist plus of head. It finally settled down to a persistent half-finger layer that produced some insane lacing.

S: Malty sweet. A little hops in the background. But the thing that caught my nose was the fruit. Cherries - sour/tart cherries. A hint of the oak comes through.

T: All of the nose comes through with the addition of a hint of apple. The spice blend really adds something to the flavor.

M: Dry yet creamy as it goes down. Effervescent. It hides the 9% well.

D: You have to find this and try it. Share it with friends - appropriate for this time of year. I'm going to get bottles for my better beer drinking friends and more than a few more for me!

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%