Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Noel De CalabazaNoel De Calabaza

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
jollypumpkin.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

"Belgian Christmas Ale aged in oak barrels."

Added by BeerBeing on 10-21-2007

Ratings: 1,021 |  Reviews: 425
3.94/5  rDev -2.2%

750ml bottle. Batch 626. Bottled 9-29-2010. Served in a Unibroue snifter. A strong pssst upon opening, and some beer may have been loss in foamy overflow had I not had my glass ready at hand.

Pours a very dark brown with reddish highlights. A large, foamy/creamy beige head starts a bit pillowy, and gradually settles to a full covering, leaving gobs of sticky lacing on the glass.

Aroma: The rich and complex aroma is woodsy, spicy, fruity and boozy; sweet but with a hint of tart too. Seems every bit of 9% ABV if not higher, but pleasant and inviting nonetheless.

T: Mildly tart and bitter from start to finish, but has some sweet fruit too. A bit spicy, including white pepper, nutmeg, salt and allspice with some oak.

M: medium-full bodied; near creamy smooth; rather high carbonation that works very well. Some warming from the alcohol both in the mouth and on the way further down.

O: A delicious Christmas beer that remains quite enjoyable on this early summer night. True to style; in this case meaning this could pass for a fine Belgian brew but has its own distinct sensory profile.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Home alone for the night, thought I would drink something delicious.

Pours a deep mahogany with ruby edges. Produced 2.5 fingers of rocky roasted marsh mellow colored head. It took well over half of my glass before the head had reduced to a thin film all while leaving some spotty lacing.

The nose is somewhat mild producing the Jolly Pumpkin signature funk that I have come to love. Sweet, yet tart with notes of dark fruits, cherries, a ginger bread spiciness and a touch of oak.

Dark fruit forward with some cherries shining though just a touch more than the rest. The dark fruits really come through with the lactic tartness giving them a little boost. Once it warmed up to just below room temp. I started to get a tart lemony flavor that enhanced this brew tremendously. Great spice cake flavor on the finish.

Medium bodied, chalk full of carbonation giving it a very effervescent mouthfeel. The drinkability of this 9% abv is amazing! Tart drying finish covers the tongue.

Overall, I was very surprised by this brew. I have thoroughly enjoyed every Jolly Pumpkin beer that I have had. I guess the "Belgian Dark Ale" through off my expectations a little bit... this was not your typical Belgian Dark Ale. I loved Jolly Pumpkins take on this and I will definitely be seeking one out for the winter.

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Batch 890. Poured from a 750mL bottle into a chalice.

A: Pours a murky, dark, muddy brown color. It has a two finger, rocky, light khaki colored head that sticks around for a while and leaves some scattered lacing. It appears to be fairly highly carbonated.

S: Lots of phenolic spiciness, a touch of alcohol, and plenty of dark fruits. Dates and plums are big players here as is a touch of woodiness and dark malts.

T: Like the aroma, the dark fruits are again very prominent. Dates, plums, and raisins provide a noticeable sweetness. Mild dark malts and belgian candy flavors provide a nice backbone. A subtle oak flavor from the barrels is present towards the finish.

M: Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. It is very easy to drink and hides the alcohol deceivingly well.

O: This is my first offering from Jolly Pumpkin, and I can say that I'm a big fan. BSDA's aren't really my favorite, but this one might just change my mind. It has everything you'd want in a good BSDA. Solid in every aspect. I look forward to trying others from Jolly Pumpkin.

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

Not my favorite of the Jolly Pumpkin beers but it was pretty good all around.

Pour-Darkish brown with a little bit of head on it I even saw a little bit of red in there as well.

Smell-Had a citrus kinda of floral smell in there with a hint of spices and apples.

Taste-Sweet flavor with some toasted malts dark fruit and some spices. The sour finish I'm used to on a Jolly Pumpkin I couldn't really detect which I didn't like. It was unusual for Jolly Pumpkin. Just wished it had a bit more an acid sour taste but that's just my preference.

Overall this beer is still really good. Not worth the price tag of $18.00 though that's getting a bit outrageous I think. Still Jolly Pumpkin remains on of my top favorites in the united states.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

Time to start catching up again. Reviewed from notes. On tap at Capone's over Christmas break. Served in a Rodenbach Grand Cru tulip...

A - Presented a murky, brown color with some subtle hints of a dark red when held to the light. A brownish cream colored head about 2 fingers thick retains nice but leaves no real lacing.

S - The aroma reminds me of a holiday spiced BSDA with a blanket of funk that I've gotten used to with Jolly Pummpkin. Hints of chocolate, some spices and dark fruits. There is also a slight lactic acidity mixed in with some oak and funk.

T - Favors of dark fruits, spices, chocolate and toffee come out first. The dark fruits mix nicely with the spices and the chocolate. The funk comes in nicely. There is also a vinous flavor present.

M - Light to medium bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation. The acidity makes this one a bit lighter than mose BSDA's I have had.

O - Not a bad beer, but one I wouldn't rush to get back to. I like my holiday beers to be a specific way and I think the sour treatment takes away a bit from this one for me.

Noel De Calabaza from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales