Noel De Calabaza | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Noel De CalabazaNoel De Calabaza

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
jollypumpkin.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

"Belgian Christmas Ale aged in oak barrels."

Added by BeerBeing on 10-21-2007

Ratings: 1,020 |  Reviews: 425
3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Home alone for the night, thought I would drink something delicious.

Pours a deep mahogany with ruby edges. Produced 2.5 fingers of rocky roasted marsh mellow colored head. It took well over half of my glass before the head had reduced to a thin film all while leaving some spotty lacing.

The nose is somewhat mild producing the Jolly Pumpkin signature funk that I have come to love. Sweet, yet tart with notes of dark fruits, cherries, a ginger bread spiciness and a touch of oak.

Dark fruit forward with some cherries shining though just a touch more than the rest. The dark fruits really come through with the lactic tartness giving them a little boost. Once it warmed up to just below room temp. I started to get a tart lemony flavor that enhanced this brew tremendously. Great spice cake flavor on the finish.

Medium bodied, chalk full of carbonation giving it a very effervescent mouthfeel. The drinkability of this 9% abv is amazing! Tart drying finish covers the tongue.

Overall, I was very surprised by this brew. I have thoroughly enjoyed every Jolly Pumpkin beer that I have had. I guess the "Belgian Dark Ale" through off my expectations a little bit... this was not your typical Belgian Dark Ale. I loved Jolly Pumpkins take on this and I will definitely be seeking one out for the winter.

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

4.24/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Batch 890. Poured from a 750mL bottle into a chalice.

A: Pours a murky, dark, muddy brown color. It has a two finger, rocky, light khaki colored head that sticks around for a while and leaves some scattered lacing. It appears to be fairly highly carbonated.

S: Lots of phenolic spiciness, a touch of alcohol, and plenty of dark fruits. Dates and plums are big players here as is a touch of woodiness and dark malts.

T: Like the aroma, the dark fruits are again very prominent. Dates, plums, and raisins provide a noticeable sweetness. Mild dark malts and belgian candy flavors provide a nice backbone. A subtle oak flavor from the barrels is present towards the finish.

M: Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. It is very easy to drink and hides the alcohol deceivingly well.

O: This is my first offering from Jolly Pumpkin, and I can say that I'm a big fan. BSDA's aren't really my favorite, but this one might just change my mind. It has everything you'd want in a good BSDA. Solid in every aspect. I look forward to trying others from Jolly Pumpkin.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Not my favorite of the Jolly Pumpkin beers but it was pretty good all around.

Pour-Darkish brown with a little bit of head on it I even saw a little bit of red in there as well.

Smell-Had a citrus kinda of floral smell in there with a hint of spices and apples.

Taste-Sweet flavor with some toasted malts dark fruit and some spices. The sour finish I'm used to on a Jolly Pumpkin I couldn't really detect which I didn't like. It was unusual for Jolly Pumpkin. Just wished it had a bit more an acid sour taste but that's just my preference.

Overall this beer is still really good. Not worth the price tag of $18.00 though that's getting a bit outrageous I think. Still Jolly Pumpkin remains on of my top favorites in the united states.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

Time to start catching up again. Reviewed from notes. On tap at Capone's over Christmas break. Served in a Rodenbach Grand Cru tulip...

A - Presented a murky, brown color with some subtle hints of a dark red when held to the light. A brownish cream colored head about 2 fingers thick retains nice but leaves no real lacing.

S - The aroma reminds me of a holiday spiced BSDA with a blanket of funk that I've gotten used to with Jolly Pummpkin. Hints of chocolate, some spices and dark fruits. There is also a slight lactic acidity mixed in with some oak and funk.

T - Favors of dark fruits, spices, chocolate and toffee come out first. The dark fruits mix nicely with the spices and the chocolate. The funk comes in nicely. There is also a vinous flavor present.

M - Light to medium bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation. The acidity makes this one a bit lighter than mose BSDA's I have had.

O - Not a bad beer, but one I wouldn't rush to get back to. I like my holiday beers to be a specific way and I think the sour treatment takes away a bit from this one for me.

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought a 750mL bottle of this as a closeout special at Everett’s in South Beloit, IL originally priced $13.99 marked down to $7.97.

Batch 897 bottled on 9-27-2011. Pours a dark brown color with a hefty head of big bubbles on top and small bubbles on the bottle. Carbonation constantly rising throughout the pour and well afterwards. Scent is loaded with yeast, some floral hints as well as citrus. Taste is tart like that of pears and sour apples. Texture is creamy and filling. Finishes with a bitter/tart after taste. Not noticing too much of the oaky taste but I’m sure the aging in oak did this beer wonders. A great, full-bodied, refreshing beer. Now if they only they sold Jolly Pumpkin beers where I live, I’d be set!

Noel De Calabaza from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales