1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

E. S. Bam | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

jollypumpkin.com

Style: Belgian Saison

Availability: Spring

E.S. Bam - Extra Special Farmhouse Ale
A Bam celebration of excess. More malt, more hops, same vivacious personality.

Seasonal released in April
4.7% Alc./Vol.

Reviews by SanDNigel:
4.24/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Dark golden honey. Creamy off-white head
S- Sour hoppiness. A very exciting smell. Just a ton of depth in the smell range
T- Slight sour with a nice crisp clean hoppiness. What a great beer
M- Great. Enough bubble but not overwhelming. Really clean
O- A really great beer that I look forward to enjoying again.

2.21/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A. A beautiful heady pour. High in carbonation. Being a bottle conditioned beer, just as I expected. Creamy, long lasting head that was as large as the pour.

S. Earthy,sour barnyard straw with acid overtones.

T. Wow! Feels like I am breathing in the Lancaster air on a Spring day(the same day they are spreading the winter manure).

M. Dry, thin like boiled hay.

D. This is one of the few beers that my Father-In-Law and I could not finish easily. Felt like I was riding too closely behind an Amish buggy.

Overall this was an amazing beer, able to capture the essence of my days shoveling manure for my organic garden. Unfortunately, it was not a flavor that I was looking for in a beer.

4.08/5  rDev +7.7%

Being a hophead that also loves Saisons, I wasted no time picking up a bottle when I saw it on the shelf. Pours a deep amber, almost brown with a decent off-white head that was lasting and left decent lacing. Aroma is a nice balance of biscuity malts and nice floral hops. The taste is an interesting blend of hoppiness and Belgian spice, there was even some wild yeast funkiness. The beer was light and crisp with low carbonation. This was an enjoyable unique beer to say the least.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

3.98/5  rDev +5%

A: The beer is hazy yellowish amber in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger high dense off white head that has excellent retention properties and consistently left a layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: There are moderate earthy aromas of spices and yeast in the nose along with some notes of sourness. The sour aromas become stronger as the beer warms up.
T: Like the smell, the initial taste is quite spicy; however the sourness is stronger and persists into the finish. Notes of the underlying grainy malts are also detectable.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and a bit dry on the palate with a high amount of carbonation.
O: The spiciness and dryness make the beer feel rather refreshing and the sourness adds a unique twist. Drinking a full bottle of this was a breeze.

Note: Batch 763, Bottled March 30, 2011

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

Bottle date of 4-15-11

Poured into a Riedel Burgundy wine glass.

Looks great for a Farmhouse. Nothing to get too excited about though. Typical, maybe darker than usual. Smells of orange orange rind, bannana, clove, malt, and some sourness. Rich, complex nose with a "fresh" sense about it. I really enjoy the aroma of Jolly beers, there is a signature smell to them that's great. Smells great for a Farmhouse. Taste is on board with the smell. Starts off with a great citrus flavor, lemon maybe. Great creamy mouthfeel, good carbonation as well. I pick up some "green" on the palate as well. By "green" I mean herb and green vegetal. Not a bad flavor though. Mostly on the finish of this beer. Slight dank note to this beer as well, along the lines of grassy. If you like farmhouse ales this is a great offering. Complex, interesting, refreshing, all around nice beer. Get it if you can.

4.01/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance: Dark amber, almost opaque. A thick, frothy three finger head forms from a gentle pour. JP beers always have fantastic head retention and this one is no exception.

Smell: Earthy, herbal hops with a slightly metallic undertone. This is pretty subtle in aroma, and it's very homogenous; I can't really pick out anything specific.

Taste & mouthfeel: Flavors of spice and savory herb (rosemary, sage) greet the palate immediately, leading to a hint of bitter lemon peel and tobacco. The mouthfeel is incredibly light, almost watery, and bone-dry. This is almost lambic-like in its dryness. The finish brings out an herbal hop note with a pleasant lingering bitterness. This is definitely hoppy for the style, though still pretty tame in the grand scheme of things.

Notes: Really nice stuff, I'm glad I decided to pick up a bottle of this.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

750 ml. to tulip. Looks good; dark and hoppy for a sour. Bouquet is good, with both the hops and sour present. Taste is it's best attribute. You get both the hoppiness and the flavor of a sour, which I admit, is a combination I'm both unfamiliar with and impressed by. Overall, a good beer that I'll be having again.

4.67/5  rDev +23.2%

Batch 288/289

With some breweries, it's always an adventure. Jolly Pumpkin is one of those. Always fun to review, never boring. Apparently, this is a "hoppy farmhouse ale," which suggests a beer right up my alley. We'll see.

Poured into a Duvel tulip, this shows a huge mass of foam - a great sign considering I've had problems with flat or near-flat bottles from this brewery before. Indeed, I see a vibrant amber body along with epic foam and ice-cream-cone retention like the best Belgian saisons. When a beer fills out the Duvel glass this impressively, you just know it's going to be good.

Aromatics are wild, literally and figuratively. This is the Jolly Pumpkin yeast in fine form. Varying as the temperature progresses from chilled to room temperature, I get strong notes of lemongrass, jasmine, apple, musky leather, and at times, a rather cheesy, meaty funk that I noted in my tasting of La Roja from this brewery. When I dig a little deeper, certain whiffs (only after it has warmed) actually suggest to me rancid cheese or rotting meat, maybe 1 out of every 10 whiffs. What an impressive, varied aroma!

I almost forgot that this was supposed to be a hoppy farmhouse ale, but the taste reminds me of that right away. Spicy, lemon-perfume hops provide some solid bittering off the bat, with a very dry, mineral rock-like finish. Old leather flint flits about throughout the sip, lingering long into the aftertaste, eventually giving way to a bready malt. Did I mention this is dry? Wow, is it ever. Actually not as wildly complex as the aroma leads me to believe, this pulls together quite well.

The mineral taste I noted seems to carry over to the feel, almost giving this a grainy feel that I like. Well-carbonated to say the least, this will scrub your palate clean, like most great farmhouse ales.

I could pound this 750ml bottle much, much quicker than I am. Once I realized I was on to something special, I forced myself to slow down and smell the roses a bit. I wasn't expecting this beer to be this good. Amazingly drinkable, especially for a saison/farmhouse ale lover like me - I'm fairly shocked, and happy, to be doling out this high a rating. An impressive, tight beer.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

750 ml bottle. $12 from Bruisin Ales.

Appearance: The body of the beer is a somewhat hazy dark orange color. The head and lacing are second to none. The thickest, creamiest, rockiest head with furry lacing all over my La Chouffe tulip.

Smell: Its got a nice tartness and barnyard funkiness with wet hay and stable aromas. Lemon and grass. Spicy yeast phenolics aren't like cloves, but almost like bandaid without seeming off. A little sweet apple and pear and a whiff of underlying pale malt.

Taste: Hops come through much more in the flavor. Grassy, spicy, and bitter. Much less funk in the flavor, but it goes well with the hops, as does the tart lemon flavor. Nice crisp, dry finish.

Mouthfeel: The beer is highly carbonated, but still soft rather than sharp. I love the dryness from high attentuation and how the carbonation and bitterness accentuate it.

Overall: This is close to being really great. I love the idea of a hoppy saison, but this one has too much bitterness, and not enough good hops flavor. The bitterness covers up the funk and tart. Good, and different, but needs a tweak.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

4.16/5  rDev +9.8%

Batch 267/268, straight from the brewery, into my La Chouffe tulip.

A - Beautiful, rocky, light tan, HUGE head sits atop a carbonated dark amber. Head retention is outrageous, like all JP brews.

S - Belgian yeast, green, freshly picked hops. Citrus notes plenitful. Nothing mind-boggling, but appetizing.

T - Slightly one dimensional, yet wonderfully balanced and tasty. Very reminescent of Bam Biere in my opinion, but slightly less dry, sweeter malts, and a little hop bitterness on the finish. Interesting perfumey hop/yeast interplay. The more it warms, the greater it becomes in terms of complexity and flavor. The final glass really displays the roastier side of the beer, with the malts playing a giant role in the taste... which is something I'm not very used to with this brewery.

M - Sparkly and light. Very Jolly Pumpkin. Gets creamier the more it warms.

D - Supremely drinkable. Great taste, undetectable ABV, and a truly well done brew. 3/4 into the bomber, I have a slight buzz... so my prediction of the ABV is around 5%.

Notes: This is a great beer that should be in JP's lineup year-round. Perfect for warm spring afternoons!

4.22/5  rDev +11.3%

A- Lots and lots of carbonation! Have to pour about 6 ounces (at the most) at a time. Poured into a large snifter. I would say 50/50 body to head for the first 90 seconds, or so. Head eventually settles down to about an inch of whispy foam.

S- Lemons, barnyard funk and some minerals.

T- Bone dry. A little bit of a metalic, copper flavor. Some earthy tobacco and spice notes. Nice big bitter finish. Did not expect that one.

M- Exceptional. This is how I want a sip to feel like after a long day at the "office".

O- Less sour than I was hoping. In the same breath, as good as I could have hoped it would be. This is a quality beer and very unique, at that.

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

750ml bottle into a Tulip glass. Aroma is Sour apple, yeast, tart, some malts in the backing, and nice and rounded light floral hop aroma. Pours a cloudy amber with a milk tan head that lingers. Taste is got more of a hop presence than other JP beers then melds into the classic belgian tastes that I'm used to from Jolly Pumpkin. With the sours apple, yeast, and a slight amount of roasted malts intermingled. Palate is bubbly and lively on the tongue with an aftertaste of slight tartness. Overall, A really enjoyable session brew in my opinion. Cheers!

E. S. Bam from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales