E. S. Bam | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

jollypumpkin.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Availability: Spring

E.S. Bam - Extra Special Farmhouse Ale
A Bam celebration of excess. More malt, more hops, same vivacious personality.

Seasonal released in April
4.7% Alc./Vol.

Added by Big78CJ on 02-14-2008

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Consumed at a tasting with a handful of fellow BA's. Review is from tasting notes.

Hazy, light amber, straw colored. Very cool to watch this one being opened. After the cap came off, foam ever so slowly started coming out of the top of the bottle. Naturally, that translated to a huge, rocky, foamy head in the glass. Pretty good lacing.

Sour scent. I've had Bam Biere, and that had a little bit of sourness/funk, so obviously this is a step above it. Very interesting aroma because of the hoppiness.

Taste follows the nose. Crisp, refreshing, clean, dry finish. Very nice mingling between the hop bitterness and the funky sour.

Heavier body than Bam Biere. Creamy and smooth. Easy drinker, as any good saison should be.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle. Pours brown with a thick light tan head. Aroma of sweet tart candies, light funkiness (barnyard funk). Flavor is sour, but not as sour as the aroma would suggest. Finish is dry and bitter. I'm a little disappointed given that this was supposed to be a hoppy farmhouse ale (or biter????), but overall I enjoyed the beer.
7/4/8/4/ (3.7/5)

750ml bottle batch 288/289 poured into pint glass. Pours a deep hazy reddish brown with TONS of head. Smell is sweet with hints of banana, clove, and raisins. Taste is the same with a strong hop presence as a backbone. Medium refreshing mouthfeel. Good mouthfeel. My first offering from Jolly Pumpkin and I'm not disappointed. Overall a very solid beer.

4.67/5  rDev +22.6%

Batch 288/289

With some breweries, it's always an adventure. Jolly Pumpkin is one of those. Always fun to review, never boring. Apparently, this is a "hoppy farmhouse ale," which suggests a beer right up my alley. We'll see.

Poured into a Duvel tulip, this shows a huge mass of foam - a great sign considering I've had problems with flat or near-flat bottles from this brewery before. Indeed, I see a vibrant amber body along with epic foam and ice-cream-cone retention like the best Belgian saisons. When a beer fills out the Duvel glass this impressively, you just know it's going to be good.

Aromatics are wild, literally and figuratively. This is the Jolly Pumpkin yeast in fine form. Varying as the temperature progresses from chilled to room temperature, I get strong notes of lemongrass, jasmine, apple, musky leather, and at times, a rather cheesy, meaty funk that I noted in my tasting of La Roja from this brewery. When I dig a little deeper, certain whiffs (only after it has warmed) actually suggest to me rancid cheese or rotting meat, maybe 1 out of every 10 whiffs. What an impressive, varied aroma!

I almost forgot that this was supposed to be a hoppy farmhouse ale, but the taste reminds me of that right away. Spicy, lemon-perfume hops provide some solid bittering off the bat, with a very dry, mineral rock-like finish. Old leather flint flits about throughout the sip, lingering long into the aftertaste, eventually giving way to a bready malt. Did I mention this is dry? Wow, is it ever. Actually not as wildly complex as the aroma leads me to believe, this pulls together quite well.

The mineral taste I noted seems to carry over to the feel, almost giving this a grainy feel that I like. Well-carbonated to say the least, this will scrub your palate clean, like most great farmhouse ales.

I could pound this 750ml bottle much, much quicker than I am. Once I realized I was on to something special, I forced myself to slow down and smell the roses a bit. I wasn't expecting this beer to be this good. Amazingly drinkable, especially for a saison/farmhouse ale lover like me - I'm fairly shocked, and happy, to be doling out this high a rating. An impressive, tight beer.

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Poured out a cloudy, orange amber color with a foamy, bubbly, small, off-white head. It left minimal lace.

S - It smelled slight funky with some citrus and lemon zest.

T - It tasted of mild funkiness, some sweet caramel and a lemon kick.

M - It was crisp and sharp with a somewhat dry finish. A medium bodied ale.

D - This is a pretty good saison. I'd recommend it.

3.67/5  rDev -3.7%

I paid $10 for this 750ml bottle. Great label...I love the stylistically-drawn dog! By the way, this is batch 278.

When I popped the cap, foam rose up inside the bottle and started coming out the top. Sometimes that's a cause for alarm, but with this beer it ultimately wasn't. A huge head formed as I poured this beer. That's not surprising considering the hefty carbonation in this one. I like the aroma a lot. It reminds me of a quality Berliner Weisse with a sharp lemon zest aroma. From the initial aroma, you know this beer is going to have some sourness. Sure enough, the flavor has a similar character as the aroma....moderately sour with a bit of funk. The beer is light and spritzy with a hint of maltiness that quickly turns to a spicy, clean-ish?, sourness. This all culminates in a dry finish with a bit of bitterness kicking in near the end. To be honest, I usually like less bitterness in a sour beer such as this. Don't get me wrong, I love some of the ultra-hoppy American brews that are out there. However, with this type of beer, I feel a less hoppy brew works better. I haven't had the regular Bam or the Noire, but I have had the Weizen Bam. The Weizen and ES are similar, but I think the Weizen Bam has a better balance of flavors. Even though I like the two Bam beers I've had, I don't think they're worth the $10 price tags. If they were $5 per bottle, I would be tempted to buy more. As it is, these are pretty much one-time purchases for me.

A - Poured a copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Has a fruity sour yeasty funk nose

T - Follows the nose with yeasty sour fruit flavor and some hops

M - This beer has a lighter body with active carbonation to it

D - This was the first Jolly Pumpkin beer that I've had and it has really turned me on to the brewery I found it to be an enjoyable brew worth trying

3.61/5  rDev -5.2%

Crowned 750 ml; Batch 288/289.

In a shaker pint glass, E.S. Bam is pale brownish amber with a glint of orange and a storm of fine internal carbonation feeding a huge, pillowy off-white head. As the cap reduces, it consolidates fine, pearly bubbles into large soapy ones at the periphery, leaving the center portion of foam drifted up in rocky, craggy fashion and large 3-D hunks of lacing scattered about the glass.

The smell is sweet and fruity with mild caramel, toffee, plus orange rind oil, a touch of muddy funk, and a whiff of apple cidery, lemony zing. Mild brown malt toastiness underlays the aroma profile, not really taking up a lot of space, but growing in stature as the drink progresses.

The taste is mild and malty with the merest toasty drizzle of sweetened vinegar and a soft mineral steeliness that dries the finish. As I'm looking for descriptors and finding the words "mild", "mere", and "soft", I realize that no matter how much I want this brew to be more than it is, it just isn't all that flavorful, instead presenting itself almost like a pretty good beer cut with a shot or three of mineral water. The funky-steel flavor and vinegary zing gain purchase in the warming drink, but the notes are left unbalanced by any significant malt backbone, leaving the finish quite dry with a little pucker. Only as the bottom of the bottle close at hand does a note of wheat straw and strawberries sweeten and freshen the drink just a tad.

The drink is light-bodied and underpowered with a fine sizzle of carbonation. The brew is quite drinkable, but only because of its uncanny similarity to the water it's brewed from. A big swing and a miss from a brewer I expect much better beer from.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Polished persimmon with crystalline clarity. The mad rush of miniscule bubbles immediately after the pour slows down to a more sedate pace within several minutes, but not before creating one of the stickiest, rockiest crowns this side of the Belgian countryside. The pint glass is coated with everything from small scraps of lace to large chunks of foam. I love it!

Like all JPAA beer, this one contains critters. The telltale aroma of wild yeast emanates from the glass with even a casual sniff. The good thing is that funk doesn't completely overwhelm everything else. This should be interesting beer. It might even be good beer.

I'm not impressed. There isn't as much malt as expected and complexity suffers as a result. E.S. Bam might have more malt (and more hops) than Bam Biere, but how much barley can any brewer pack into a saison that's only 4.7%. Even though hop flavor has surely faded in the nearly one year since the release, there's still a good bit of bitterness to be had.

My biggest gripe with most Jolly Pumpkin beer is that it's overattenuated. It isn't a flaw since that's the way it was brewed, but I don't have to like it. A few malt sugars would be great right about now. Some dry, crisp saisons are fantastic and are insanely drinkable. This isn't one of them.

There isn't much to the flavor profile. The beer tastes like a malt-deficient wild ale that has a modest amount of funk and more lemongrassy bitterness than fruity tartness. It's okay and is growing on me a little, but it isn't E(xtra) S(pecial) by any stretch of the imagination.

Part of the problem is a mouthfeel that's too light (no matter the ABV) and is too sharply carbonated. The bubbles hit hard and fast, then fade quickly, so there's no trace of creaminess on the swallow.

Granted, this was almost certainly better beer when fresh (batch 267, 268). Then again, any saison that can't go 11-12 months in the bottle doesn't deserve to be called a saison. Those who love everything Jolly Pumpkin will probably love E.S. Bam. Those who want a world-class version should look elsewhere.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass. 03/10/09. Batch 280/281.

Pours a cloudy orangish-brown color with a huge 4+ finger soft beige head. The head left tons of sticky lace as is dropped to a thin layer, with excellent retention. The aroma is peppery with lemon, floral hop, and some funk.

The taste starts with a nice sour and rubbery funkiness, zesty lemon, orange peel, grapes, and white pepper. That is followed by an herbal hop bitterness in the finish. Very fruity and earthy. This is labeled a "hoppy farmhouse ale", but the hop bitterness doesn't mend well with the rest of the beer.

Feel is medium-bodied and a bit thin with plenty of carbonation. The finish is nice and dry. Drinkability is decent. Finishing the bottle is not a problem, but I wouldn't want any extra.

Overall, decent but not great. The hops add an odd bitterness for the style. Not bad, but if you're looking for a true saison, look elsewhere.

3.41/5  rDev -10.5%

Quite a unique offering, and I will have to try out some other beers from this brewery after this one. Orange-red color with a massive off white head. I mean massive.

A nice blend of flavors, from citrus to light fruits, some light spices, but most notably a heavy floral taste. The floral tastes become a bit overwhelming making it hard to drink alone.

Beautiful mouthfeel with great carbonation. But I would only ever get it again if I'm sharing.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

An E.S....saison? An intriguing offer from Jolly Pumpkin, and one that doesn't have me turning away after the first sip as *some* of their beers have. I'm not a huge fan of saisons to begin with, but I'm intrigued enough by this one. It's got that trademark Jolly Pumpkin funk smell and taste to it, but is added to by a nice grassy hop flavor, and a nice big hit of maltiness. This is a fairly well-balanced, and unique saison. The mouthfeel is a bit dry, but okay overall. It's not something I'm likely to go back to again, but it's definitely worth giving a try.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to rmasen for this one.

Batch 267, 268. Pours a ruddy dark brown with a towering beige head. I feel like i need a spoon to dig down to the beer. It does eventually die after a few minutes to leave a small cap and a lot of lacing. Some sediment. The JP signature smell is immediately evident: grassy farmhouse funk with some acetic berry/ character. Floral hop presence and some citrus in the back. Really interesting taste. Toasted malts are huge in this, giving it some toffee character that I wouldn't have expected in a Bam Biere--nice surprise though. Tart funk is the next thing noticeable, along with a ton of earthiness. Herbal notes and citrus throughout. Nice hop bitterness at the end, giving it a dry finish. Really digging this one. Lighter mouthfeel seems a bit out of place in such a dark beer, but it works well being a properly carbonated saison. Another great JP beer.

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from the bottle a murky dark mahogany with a hint of gold. On top rests a rich chunky beige head that will not fade.

Aroma is typical Jolly Pumpkin with a sour, yeasty, funk to it. Though this one does have more hoppiness going on. The sour notes are an interesting combination of green apple, raspberry, lemon, and antiseptic. Very interesting, indeed.

Tastes of sour raspberries, green apple, lemon, antiseptic, and licorice. A very light maltiness in the finish.

Light-to-medium bodied, tart and dry, and moderately carbonated.

A very unique play on a saison. I like it...but I'm not sure how much. 750 ml is probably too much. Twelve ounces would be about right.

3.76/5  rDev -1.3%

Share this one with DrewOSU. Batch 267, 268 - not sure what that means, but okay.

Pours a clear, dark amber with a most interesting head. The head is insane. It's like massive, chunky, cumulus cloud and gets more interesting as it sits there. As the bomber rested on my countertop, the foam took on its' own agenda and began foaming out the top like a packaging peanut met a serpent. (Yeah, that's cheesy - I know, but it did!!!). Great lacing, as well.

Smells of sour funk right off the bat with traces of spicy funk and light green apple. Can't get much more off the nose beyond that...

Light bodied and light to medium flavored. Tastes of funk (band aids?), some lighted roasted malts and a light apple cider-like quality. Very unique. The mouthfeel tastes like hard water on my tongue. Very wet with medium bitterness mixed with sweetness.

Interesting and refreshing...

3.81/5  rDev 0%

Capped 750 ml bottle with a lime green label that has a heat shot drawing of Jolly Pumpkin's Jack Russell Terrier, Bam. Do you know what the regular Bam label looks like? Good! Take Bam, put a small hop bud hat on his head, put a bright lime green hop bud necklace around his neck, and put him on a lime green label with a farm scene background. That's the picture! To the left of Bam is the Government warning, barcode, and a drawing of 3 dogs. To the right of Bam are 2 paragraphs and the refund values. The first one talks about how strong Bam the dog was. He was hit by a car and he still managed to move around. The second paragraph says that it's their regular Bam beer with more malt and hops added to it. That's what I like to hear! The back should be slapped with a batch number sticker. Mine was from batch number 267 and 268.

Appearance: I poured this beer that shares it name with a very special dog into a Corsendonk Tulip. Out of the bottle came a beer that was an extremely murky caramel brown with apple cider highlights. What I said murky, I mean this beer was just as murky as a swamp. It wasn't murky because of hop particles, it was just a naturally murky beer. This bottle was a small time gusher and when it was poured, it had a self rising 3 inch creamy pure white head of foam. This pure white head of foam had slow retention. It was so slow that it took at least 5 minutes to settle down to a point where I could actually taste the beer. when it receded, it left behind a milky white film and a massive amount of sticky white streaks of lace. As you can tell, the color of the beer was just as cool as the the head of foam.

Smell: Like every other Jolly Pumpkin beer I've had in the past, the aroma was sour. Not a beer gone bad sour, but a pleasantly natural sour aroma. The first half of the aroma was sour with a hint of sour raspberries, a splash of sour cherries, a subtle whiff of oak, a speck of tart grapefruit, and a pinch of malted wheat. As you can tell, the first half of the aroma was a little bit of this, a little bit of that, and mixed in with a little bit more of this. Get it? If the beer is swirled around, this is where you'll find the second half of the aroma. The second half consisted of more oak and plenty of grassy hops. I honesty didn't care for the grassy hop aroma all that much. It matters a little bit, but that's OK because I really enjoyed the first half of the aroma. I've always liked Jolly Pumpkin's natural sour aroma.

Taste: The taste was dry hopped and lightly sour at the same time. It actually made for a pretty interesting taste. "E.S.Bam" started off dry hopped with some lightly bitter grassy hops, a hint of bitter and tart grapefruit, a pinch of dried pine needles, a speck of malted wheat, and then this dry hopped taste finishes up with a splash of of lemon peel. After the dry hopped part is where the sourness comes in. There wasn't that to the sour part. That part only consisted of a little bit of oak and a subtle touch of sour cherries. Do you think the taste is over yet? If you think it's over then you're wrong. I thought the taste was over too, but then I noticed that at the bitter end, there was a slight farm yard funkiness taste to it. I think Jolly Pumpkin uses Brett yeast in and that farm yard funkiness proves it. I don't think regular yeast would create that distinct taste.

Mouthfeel: This was a light bodied dry hopped Farmhouse Ale that featured a funky aftertaste of hay, dry hopped grassy hops, a subtle touch of oak, a splash of tart grapefruit, and a hint of sour cherries. It tasted like the aftertaste randomly picked out flavors from the initial taste. The hay and the grassy hops were the only ones from the aftertaste that stood around. They stood around for about 20 seconds and then they decided to leave under their own powers. No water was needed to get rid of them.

Drinkability: Since this was a Jolly Pumpkin beer, I originally thought that it was going to be more sour than hoppy, but I was wrong about that. The sour aspect did take over the aroma, but it was in the taste where the hops made the beer's natural sourness ride behind them. In the end, I enjoyed this light grassy with a slight farm yard funkiness beer. I wouldn't mind having another one of these. If you would like to try a sour Farmhouse Ale with the taste of grassy hops mixed in with it, then this beer is the one.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Batch 267, 268. Warning: Slow gusher alert. It didn't quite go crazy after the cap was popped, but I wouldn't leave it unattended either.
Clear burnt orange with a solid cap of fine beige bubbles. Good retention, aided by constantly surfacing bubbles, with some moderately sticky lacing. JP funk hits the nose right away, a combination of tartness and acidity, almost like salt and vinegar chips, but much more mellow. Earthy berries and grass, this is hoppier than the regular bam, but it seems like the hops have faded somewhat compared to other reviews of the same batches earlier in the year. Still, very nicely balanced on the nose. The flavour was... everything in the aroma, plus more. Hops were much more pronounced, leafy and grassy with a slight mint character in the finish, quite floral, and the bitterness was sturdy and forceful. This worked well with the light acidity, keeping the palate quite clean. Less fruity than the aroma with just a hint of the berry tartness I expected based on the smell. Light bodied, very dry, with plenty of carbonation that kept the texture light and airy. What can I say, I like just about everything JP puts out. My only (minor) issue was the dryness seemed to work against this beer, crowding out some of the flavour.

3.97/5  rDev +4.2%

Had this and Bam Bier 750's back to back over 2 evenings. I actually think I liked the Bam Bier a bit better. This one just seemed a bit less complex, and a bit more unrefined.

Poured a dark amber into my Church BrewWorks tulip glass. Craggly white head sits aloft.

Immediatly getting a big ole yeasty farmhouse brett funk, which I definitly dig. Some other earthy grassy aromas in there too as the hops show up. I totally love the open fermentation and the tasty saison funk, but this just didnt meet my apparently high expectations.

It;s basically funly yeast with some hops dumped in. It's just kind of flat...not carbonation wise...but flavor wise, compared to other JP brews ive had.

3.35/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a brown raisin type color with a nice head almost an inch and a half thick.

First smell is a blast of sour and maltiness.

Taste is sour up front. Funky. Then sweet and a dash of hops for good measure. Definitely a wild beer from a brewery known for its eccentricities.

Not sure if the nailed this one or not, but I won't say it isn't worth trying. The balance of the sour and funk doesn't necessarily match up with the hops in my opinion.

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%

Presentation: 750 capped, No ABV or date information.

Appearance: Reddish brown with a big head, tan colored.

Smell: Sour is just about the only aroma I can pull out. Maybe a bit of yeast funk, but its buried by the sour.

Taste: Sour, a bit of a tinny flavor. There is some yeast funk, but not much malt flavor in there.

Overall impression: This one seems sour for the sake of sour, without a lot of depth to it. Still interesting, but not one of the better sour beers I've had.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Bottle: Poured a medium brown color ale with a huge foamy head with good retention and good lacing. Aroma consists of tart and sour notes with some grainy malt. Taste is also a weird mix between some grainy malt with some tart and sour notes and an astringent final. Not as balanced as the Weizen Bam that I tasted a couple of days before.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Sampled from a 750ml bottle in a DFH snifter.

A - Amber in color with a cherry hue and a huge off-white head. Good lacing.

S - A tart and floral aroma with lots of green apple.

T - Starts with a nice sour, tart flavor but that fades quickly and becomes a bit dry and a little hoppy. An interesting combination. I wasn't a huge fan after the first few sips but it grew on my as I went on.

M - The carbonation and consistency are about right for the style.

D - A decent American attempt at a farmhouse but it's a tough style to reproduce.

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

A - pours a deep amber with lots of lovely red highlights when held up to light. MASSIVE frothy head. Seriously, this thing rules, and the shape it's as it dissipates making is totally wacky. I seriously can't get over the foam sculptures this thing is making. In fact, here is a picture: http://i33.tinypic.com/2rhtpw9.jpg

S - woah. Some of that bitter/tart barnyard funk came to town tonight. I'm also getting some fruitiness, mainly apples, out of the nose from the hops and hints of yeast and spice

T - wow, again, massive bitter/tart fruity funk. Awesome. I like this taste. Sour apples somewhat? Very similar to the nose anyway

M - Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. Some dryness to the mouthfeel as well

D - well, I like this beer. Wasn't sure what I wanted to drink tonight, and this is really hitting the spot. Would totally recommend if you like sours with some extra hoppiness. Good work, Jolly Pumpkin. Drinkability may be a bit limited by the flavor, but like I said it, I like it

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Batch 267/268
Pours a deep red/ copper color with a big light tan head. In the aroma, small tartness, earthy, and small hop hints. In the taste, earthy, a small fruity tartness, and small hop presence up front. A bitter and a medium mouthfeel, and a small dry bitterness, and a green apple tartness in the aftertaste. Not a conventional ESB, nice green apple tartness, and a good hop presence. I don't think Jolly Pumpkin makes a bad beer.

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured from the 750ml capped bottle into an oversized brandy snifter.

Appearance- Beer pours a ruddy reddish brown with a substantial finger and a half of head and lacing clinging amply to the sides of the glass when swirled. Carbonation persists across the top for the duration of the beer.

Smell- Smells a bit like spoiled milk and Jolly Pumpkin yeast. Hops are fairly strong and musty. It smells to have all of the funk of the other JP brews and smells a whole lot like Bam Biere. Musty basement seems to cling to the nosehairs, and unfortunately there isn't much else coming through on the scent.

Taste- Very thin. The hops are big on the beer and the malt isn't picking up the slack here. The funky yeast and bacteria are here, but there isn't near enough malt to call this an ESB, a Saison, or and IPA Saison, which was what I was thinking it may lean toward. The hops give a lot of sour bitterness, but it's really not working out too well in the beer's favor here.

Mouthfeel- Thin, watery, astringent, bitter, light bodied, and highly carbonated.

Drinkability- It drinks like water, refreshing in that respect, but not really great overall. Ron has pleased me very well in the past, but this beer doesn't quite cut the mustard for me.

E. S. Bam from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales