La Parcela | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

1.06/5  rDev -72.5%

1.5/5  rDev -61.1%

1.5/5  rDev -61.1%

1.72/5  rDev -55.4%

At the darker end of the spectrum for pumpkin beers with a brilliant white head. Beer is a mix of orange and brown. Slight haze. The head isn't thick but it's foamy and the contrast in color between it and the beer is extreme. Moderate retention and a decent lace.

Just from the nose, I'd not guess this to be a pumpkin ale. It's got a vinegarish, kriek-like scent. Granny Smith apples and or pears is the most dominant scent. The spicing is faint at best, and there's little presence of pumpkin if at all.

There's no indication of pumpkin in the taste. Like in the nose, it's more vinegar than anything. Like some other sours/krieks/lambics, it doesn't work for me. There's a bit of spice til mid sip, at which point the vinegar flavor takes over and kills it for me. Awful, lasting tart cherry taste that lingers.

Initially sweet, but it's short and you're immediately overwhelmed by tart and sour. That tart and sour lasts til the next sip starts. It's medium bodied and fairly low in alcohol. Once you swallow, there's a burn in the throat like carbonation. For a pumpkin beer, one of my favorite styles, the feel is simply awful.

This beer is terrible. The brewed date was September 2012, so maybe it was skunked, but I got it form a reputable beer store so I assumed it's still good. The smell, taste and feel are nothing like a pumpkin beer and something I'll pass on in the future.

1.75/5  rDev -54.7%

1.84/5  rDev -52.3%

Served from a bomber into a pint glass.

A-Very very pretty beer. Gives of the very heir of pumpkin itself. A thick, cloudy mix of yellow and orange, with just enough amber to give it a very distinct character, topped with a nice head that has some real staying power.

S- Surprisingly lackluster. Given the look of the beer I was expecting a nose of equal accompaniment, but there was hardly anything there. Faint hints of yeast are there and you can already smell the tartness in the brew. The smell dissipates quickly however leaving nothing noteworthy.

M-The beer coats the mouth quite nicely to start, but the tartness quickly swoops in and ruins the experience. The brew puckers your lips and makes it hard to swallow.

T-The taste takes on the low notes of the feel and fails to pair them with any sort of upside. The label reads a brew mixed with all sorts of things from pumpkin to cacao to various spices, but none of that is apparent as the sweetness blows out each and every flavor. I gave this beer one shot after another hoping the flavor would meld into the other aspects of the beer, but it never came. Frankly, and I do not use this term lightly, I found it to be undrinkable.

O-Very disappointing on almost all fronts. The very essence of pumpkin is often misconstrued as a sweet and sugary taste, which often eliminates the more earthly elements of the fruit. To me, La Parcela takes that misconception and puts it on steroids. I will not be purchasing this again.

1.88/5  rDev -51.3%

I bought the 750 mL bottle here last Sunday. The ale was bottle on 9-14-2011. The ale had a nice aromatic smell and the color I expected. The taste however, I did not find appeasing. It tasted more cider like rather than an ale to be truthful. It was very sour not what youd expect from a pumpkin ale. So if youre not a fan of sours, I would not recommend.

2.11/5  rDev -45.3%

Was pretty excited to try but excitement ended rather quickly. Nice color and smell but could taste hardly any pumpkin. Very sour and bitter after taste. Expected better from Jolly Pumpkin especially at an $11.99 price tag. Out of all the pumpkin beers I have had this year this at the bottom of the list.

2.29/5  rDev -40.7%

A: Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a stein. Gold with about 2 fingers of fluffy head.

S: Tart citrus fruits and applies, with a little horse blanket and funk thrown in.

T: Strong funk flavor: hay and horse stall, with some apple and pear thrown in, off-putting sourness and a bit of pepper. Definitely more of a wild ale than pumpkin ale.. I can barely taste the pumpkin.

M: Medium body with decent carbonation and a dry finish.

D: If I didn't know better, I'd say this was completely an American Wild Ale. I don't taste the pumpkin or the accompanying spaces at all... I would've thought a brewery named "Jolly Pumpkin" would produce a more pumpkin-like brew. And at $14.99 a bottle, it was completely not worth it.

2.43/5  rDev -37%

I had high hopes for this beer. I had heard there was a little bit of funk in it and I was excited to try a funky pumpkin beer.

Pours a nice dark orange looks good with a bit of over carbonation.

Smell is alright nothing too overpowering, you can smell that there is going to be a little bit of funk. It all goes downhill from here in my opinion.

Taste...Oh god the taste. This beer starts with a hint of sweetness before it punches you in the face with funk. I think this bottle may have been infected because it was overpowering. I tried to drink a few sips but just couldn't finish it.

Mouth it was light on the tongue but the flavour stayed. Normally that's a good thing but this time not so much.

Overall over half was drain poured and the other half turned into a beer cheese sauce.

2.48/5  rDev -35.8%

2.6/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured from a $18 bomber (the most I paid when evaluating oktoberfest/autumn beers) into dimpled mug. I expected more out of this highly-touted pumpkin beer. Pours a nice golden orange with a small white head with a small amount of sediment floating around. Big aroma consisting of pumpkin, sour yeast, spices (nutmeg, cloves, coriander), with an almost mentholated funk. Largely tart flavor, minerals, grassy upfront with the pumpkin flavors subtlety lingering behind a large layer of funk. Acidic and somewhat hopppy. High level of carbonation usher in spices and funk that roll into an acidic finish.

2.61/5  rDev -32.4%

Frothy white head that settles lumpily.

My first impression is sweet & sour sauce. Odd, eh? Leans to the sour side. I do not detect any spice or pumpkin in the smell. I think if I were blindfolded, I would guess this is a Cyser.

It tastes like a Cyser, meaning it seems to have soured apples, not pumpkins. Very sour flavor. I frankly don't know what to make of this--I detect no pumpkin, cacao or other spices here. The finish is similar to sucking a lemon.

My wife thinks its okay. I'm finding it difficult to finish.

La Parcela from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales