La Parcela | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Added by Kegatron on 11-04-2008

4.27/5  rDev +10.6%

284th Review
75cl bottle poured into an unlabeled tulip glass
Didn’t catch the vintage on this

From notes. Enjoyed a couple summers back at a backyard BBQ with the usual suspects in the Mile High Knight's tasting crew. If memory serves correct, I can thank Knownfactor for this one. If memory fails, then it was Bardwashrind. Either way...cheers!

A: Medium copper. Half (frothy white) fingernail head on medium pour. I really dig the art work on the label!

S: Notes of all-spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, and soft yeast character. Touch of brown sugar sweetness in the nose as well with a slight hint of funk. Reminds me of fall, but in a glass! MMMmmm.

T: Per the usual with Jolly Pumpkin brews, a nice mellow funk to kick this off on the palate. That is followed by a very pronounced caramel sweetness with mix of pumpkin, spices, and touch of vanilla towards the end. Reminds me of a saison, but a bit more complex and enjoyable. Very good stuff here.

M: Light/medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: Overall, this is a really solid beer. Not a traditional pumpkin crusher and I really enjoy Jolly Pumpkin's interpretation of this usually hit-or-miss style. They nailed this one with a nice twist of funk!

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

batch 13(lucky #13) pegs snifter
A: a nice dark gold, to light orange color. borders on an almost reddish orange color. nice 1 inch white/offwhite head that recedes quickly. the ring of head around the side of the glass hangs around.

S: tart, vineous, green apple skin, brett, lactic, pumpkin pie spice, fruitiness,

T: tart and winelike upfront, with that nice bretty flavor, that then gets washed away by a nice pumpkin spice, very slight chocolate, sweet and malty backbone. there is a breadiness that lingers, along with the cacao. the sour notes come back into play at the very end it is almost like drinking two different beers because of how the sourness does not linger in your mouth the entire time. It has a lot of great flavors going on. I kept finding myself reaching for another sip quickly. As it warmed, the sourness stayed around longer.

M: dry and effervescent up front, there is a slight creaminess on the finish that lingers, a slickness, which is then pushed away by a nice dry sour finish

O:I wasn't expecting to get blown away, but this is an amazing example of an "outside the box" sour. Does everything just right. the balance and flavors are downright perfect, neither one outshines the other and I felt like I was getting just enough of each flavor every time I took a sip. For the pumpkin and sour beer lover, pick this one up, you won't be disappointed.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

The color of jack o'lantern guts. Massive rocky froth the color of 2 day old snow thick enough to ski. The same as with any great wood aged wild ale the aroma presents as a still-life: Slices of pumpkin, green apple, cacao, nutmeg, whipped egg whites on a pickle barrel. Strange that I get aroma of eggwhites, but hey, anything can come out of a barrel. In the retronasal I get a small piece of scallion. Caveat: I don't know much about the sensory perception of cacao. Here I presume it adds to the mouthfeel, and maybe to the aroma by way of the "eggwhites." I don't know how cacao would taste, especially in wood. BTW I can't say cacao without thinking about Portlandia.

Thank you Ron for not slapping me in the face with pumpkin spices. This tastes of hand-cut, fresh squeezed pumpkin and fresh grated nutmeg. It has an elderflower finish, a little astringent and totally refreshing.

With a great barrel-beer I tend to forget the base: The malt bill and hop order. This beer has a smooth mouthfeel, light but lingering bitter finish. I appreciate the lower abv. and think more alcohol would have made this too sharp. La Parcela has great malic sourness, orange pithiness, marigold leaf. Restraint plus highly evolved wood equals a pinnacle of refreshment. This could have come from a Belgian valley. Fantastic! Superb! "highly evolved"

3.91/5  rDev +1.3%

1596th Review on BA
Bottle to Jolly Pumpkin/Maui Tulip
750ml

Batch 876/877
2011 Vintage
Purchased at Whole Foods, Las Vegas, NV

App- It was about the orange of the la parcela color on the label. Had a nice depth of color and looked a bit golden intermixed. A bit dense in the center and lighter on the outsides. The head was a nice 2 finger white and billowy with a good bit of lace and retention.

Smell- I think this one is probably better fresh. I did find it in June in LV so held onto it for a bit. The nose was mainly just a sour yeast aroma that I can only imagine is proprietary to JP because all the beers I have had from them are about the same. A light spice note and a bit of a prickly light oak.

Taste- Its mainly just a nice sour to me. A bit delicate and a bit floral from the spices taking a bit of a turn. A little bit of a cinnamon note as it warmed, but mainly just a yeasty sour flavor. Not a infected sour apple, but more intended and flavorful. Still fresh thing the pumpkin wouldve been there but has since died out.

Mouth- It was a fuller medium body with more a full carbonation. A good feel as a bit of a lush and candy like creamy feel. The bubbles do a good job coating the palate. Residual cinnamon, apple, yeast and a bit of lemon sour.

Drink- Well I was thinking this would be a bit more layered. A bit one-sided but thats okay. Its a sour pumpkin beer thats a year old. I would love a fresher bottle but I think even with decay to pumpkin a nice sour came out. Rating to how I liked it vs. style on this one.

4.01/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I have to start this out mentioning that I am a huge fan of sours. Opening this one I immediately was hit with the all to familiar jolly pumpkin sour apple yeasty smell.

Poured fantastic, it's a clear beer and one I appreciate being clear being it's a pumpkin ale. Still retains a nice orange color with some fantastic lacing, the nice one finger head eventually diminishes.

Smells of a fantastic drinkable sour. The sour notes do overwhelm the pumpkin flavor and spice notes. They could definitely up those notes and still be safe.

Taste is great, what can I say other than it's their usual great sour apple notes mixed with a touch spice and pumpkin. It's all very very subtle though. I was expecting more pumpkin and spice.

I really enjoyed this one, It's a fantastic sour even if the notes of pumpkin and spice are really subdued. Actually the fact their subdued is kind of nice this time of year (autumn) since most pumpkin ales overdo it. I will definitely buy this one again, if I can find it.

Edit: It's been a while since I've written this review, so After having it again. I have to up the rating slightly. It's such a nice refreshing break from the overly spiced pumpkin beers. Taste is so pleasant and is easily drinkable.

La Parcela from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales