Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

La Parcela | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by Kegatron on 11-04-2008

4.01/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I have to start this out mentioning that I am a huge fan of sours. Opening this one I immediately was hit with the all to familiar jolly pumpkin sour apple yeasty smell.

Poured fantastic, it's a clear beer and one I appreciate being clear being it's a pumpkin ale. Still retains a nice orange color with some fantastic lacing, the nice one finger head eventually diminishes.

Smells of a fantastic drinkable sour. The sour notes do overwhelm the pumpkin flavor and spice notes. They could definitely up those notes and still be safe.

Taste is great, what can I say other than it's their usual great sour apple notes mixed with a touch spice and pumpkin. It's all very very subtle though. I was expecting more pumpkin and spice.

I really enjoyed this one, It's a fantastic sour even if the notes of pumpkin and spice are really subdued. Actually the fact their subdued is kind of nice this time of year (autumn) since most pumpkin ales overdo it. I will definitely buy this one again, if I can find it.

Edit: It's been a while since I've written this review, so After having it again. I have to up the rating slightly. It's such a nice refreshing break from the overly spiced pumpkin beers. Taste is so pleasant and is easily drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Batch 876/877 bottled 9/14/2011

A - pours with a pillowy thick 2 finger lightly tan/off white head with excellent retention atop a hazy orangish-hued brew, on the orange side of unpasteurized apple juice

S - Tart, sourdough aroma overpowers the presence of any other ingredients, except some yeast esters: pineapple, granny smith apple; maybe a hint of pumpkin flesh, but my mind/nose could be playing tricks on me

T - the lactic acid is upfront - it takes some focus to tease out a malt breadiness and pumpkin accents, not to mention the touch of cacao under the tongue - and there's a lingering bitterness, especially as it warms - either the product of age/improper cellaring (probably, as this was purchased in Phoenix, AZ) or some recipe problems, an unwanted reaction between oak tannins and the cacao

M - the high carbonation level suits the tartness very well, and this combination does well in the face of such a dry and well-attenuated brew, a significant difference from many other pumpkin ales

D - not the home run I've come to expect from Jolly Pumpkin; I would have liked to have tasted this beer a little younger and closer to its source, and while it's a welcome departure from many other pumpkin ales, it seems a little more befitting of the spring - or best, an Indian summer - rather than the fall. Still, a quite good beer.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

a sour pumpkin beer? it was only a matter of it. i opened this with much excitement. it poures a hazy pale orange color, with a one inch head made of tiny white bubbles. it lasts quite awhile too. the nose is very strange, sour and acidic like lacto at first, then a smooth sweet vibe from the cacao, and finally tart pumpkins, almost composty if you didnt know what sour beer was. its taste is also very different. theres a bit more spice, cinnamon for sure, and the pumpkin flavor is more pronounced than in the smell. smooth feel, again i think from the addition of cacao, which is an interesting additive in a beer. there is a little vinegar taste in the finish, but it matches up well with the sweet component. great carbonation and enough body for a fall beer. ive definitely never had anything like this, and it grew on me as i drank through it. definitely search this out if you dig pumpkin ales.

edit: recently had a dry hopped version of this that was absolutely incredible. it really brought the wild yeast to life and was neat in highlighting the vegetal aspects of the pumpkin. better than the original i reckon!

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

*Bottled 9-14-2011 Blend of Batches 876/877*

A- Pours a hazy orange amber color with a huge head that sticks around. Classic of the Belgium style. In many ways belgium style has the foam and carbonation of any style of beer in my opinion.

S- Awesome funky with citrus and sour cherries. I don't detect any of the classic pumpkin notes that are typical of pumpkin ales, but then again this isn't a typical pumpkin beer.

T- Pretty good sour notes, tart cherries. Okay, I love the flavor I just want more from it. I like the big sour tartness and I just feel the beer is missing some of the umph I get from a lot of these beers.

M- Medium/light body with big carbonation again classic belgium style again here.

O- Great beer all around and a wonderful take on the pumpkin beer style. This really mixes it up in this season of pumpkin beers with all spice, and cinnamon.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

A- Pours a hazy orange color with a Nice 2" white head that leaves excellent lacing

S- Sour notes? Wasn't expecting that, not too much pumpkin but I do like the smell here

T- Nice sour notes here as well :) Touch of apple and maybe some pumpkin? Just enjoying this sour aparently

M- Nice and carbonated, nothing crazy but nothing thats a let down

O- I really liked this. For the price I'll never get it again but I was glad to try it this once

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just watched my Bears win on this chilly October twilight and with all the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror commercials, I figured I'd give this one a try.

Poured a hazy, non-translucent medium golden amber that produced a thin, bone white fizzly head that quickly faded to an inconsistent lacey ring around the glass. Smells of artifical pumpkin, spices and citrus. The tastes align with he the smells. Has a very sour, tart taste. Definite carbonation with a champaigney dry finish. It isn't the spicey, rich ale as many pumpkin ales tend to be. As others have mentioned, this one has the consistency of a cider. Enjoyable and refreshing, nonetheless. Glad I tried.

Cheers!

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

A-amber with a hint of orange. Thin white head

S-sweet pumpkin cream. Slight roasted scent. Definitely a tartness here.

T-a complex taste with levels of flavor. Comes in with a tart taste of pumpkin. Almost like pumpkin flavored sour cream. It has autumn spices. They're subtle and different though, more like roasted chestnuts. The tartness sticks all the way through.

M-medium carbonation with a dry finish

O-a very complex beer that is nicely sour. Actually I bet if I gave this to someone and had them taste it, I bet they wouldn't realize it's a pumpkin beer. It could have a bit more robustness to it, but it'd be difficult to make a better pumpkin sour.

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%