Baudelaire IO | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

jollypumpkin.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by NoLiberty on 10-27-2009

4.29/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is one of the better saisons I have tried. Not too bitter or sour. Instead it finds the perfect middle ground. Lots of carbonation here which fits well with the citrusy taste. A really tasty, refreshing beer

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin's Baudelaire IO a couple weeks ago for $13.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been just now starting to get into these Jolly Pumpkin beers, and I wanted to get something different that I normally wouldn't buy and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Release, I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it's got a nice and artsy look to it that makes it look pretty fancy, it reminds of a fancy wine label. It poured a nice redish brown color that took on some ruby hues when held to the light with two and half fingers worth of fluffy slightly pink head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a nice fruity aroma with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most and there's a slightly noticeable hibiscus aroma in the background. Up next comes that signature Jolly Pumpkin yeast that imparts a nice and funky aroma with some oak aromas in the background, This beer had a very nice aroma, I really liked the balance between the fruity and funky aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by that same fruity aspect that I got in the aroma with no single fruit sticking out more than the other and there's a nice and lighter oaky flavor hanging around in the background. Up next comes the Jolly Pumpkin yest that adds just the right amount of funky flavors to this beer with some hibiscus like flavors in the background. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with some nice lighter tartness taking it's place that has a Brett like flavor to it with a funky and fruity aftertaste. This is a very nice tasting beer, all the flavors worked really well together.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, crisp, fairly tart, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little prickly. The mouthfeel was very nice and it worked really well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and a very good example of a funky Farmhouse style Saison, I tend to like my Saison's with a little bit of funk to them so I ended up really liking the balance of the typical Saison with the funky and fruity flavors, it was nicely done. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, clean, not filling, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I don't think I would have any problem drinking the whole bottle to myself, no need to share this one. What I liked the most about this beer was pretty much everything, in my opinion this beer didn't have a weak point. What I liked the least about this beer was the price, at $14 it's a little on the expensive side and that would prevent me from buying it as much as I would like, I think $9 or $10 would be the perfect price. I would for sure buy this beer again, if i see another bottle at the beer store I will pick it up to see how it changes over time, but for $14 it's more of a special occasion type of beer for me. I would recommend this to any Jolly Pumpkin fans or anybody who likes a funkier Saison. All in all I really enjoyed this beer and I thought it was pretty impressive. Jolly Pumpkin did a great job with this beer and it's now up there as one of my favorite Jolly Pumpkin beers and it might just be one of the best funkier Saisons that I've had so far. Good job guys this is one great beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The beer has lots of tart qualities on the nose.

The flavor follows of funk and tart of almost pickle juice or cider. There's lots of malt with a light cherry flavor. A very drinkable beer with a heavy handed amount of barnyard Brett funk.

The funk and tart qualities are well done for the saison style (or newer attempt at the style that I prefer).

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nearly opaque pink/red with orange tint. Thick pillow of dense pink splashed khaki head sticks for a long time; thick lace down the glass. Yowza. Smell: floral as you'd expect and sweet with some perfumey coriander-ish spice, notes of pepper and orange citrus. Also some mild flanders red action...raspberry-ish, herbal/oaky note. Taste: floral and spicy upfront, tart raspberry note, ripe peach, herbal, lactic/citric/cheesy finish. Superb. 2/2015 bottling ("Blend 1").

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

25.4 oz bottle split and poured into a snifter. Bottled 02-10-2012. Gusher.

A: Pours a hazy amber ruby with a giant puffy white head. Quite dense. Lots of visible carbonation. Head dissipates in the course of a few minutes leaving some nice lacing.

S: The rose really comes through on this brew and the wild yeast has kicked it up a few notches.

T: This is an enjoyable beer, really get the floral rose taste with the saison blend and a fairly intense sour taste. Adds a farmhouse dimension. Very different and quite tasty. I like the rose and brett compliment.

M: Lots of carbonation as shown with the appearance. Crisp finish that is pretty refreshing. Reminds me of a champagne on the tongue. So easy drinking.

Overall has the classic Jolly Pumpkin taste with their yeast strains but also a great rose petal addition. Very tasty and quite drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Review 200!

A huge thanks to erikkoppin for this great beer. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a lovely auburn hue into my Bell's Tulip. Thankfully this is not a gusher, having been in my refrigerator for a good three weeks. About two fingers of white, bubbly head is achieved with a cautious pour. This slowly dissipates leaving nice, thin lines of lacing.

Smell - Ahh, the stereotypical Jolly Pumpkin scent. I get an immense rush of sour cherries surrounded by classic barnyard funk. Slight floral aromas are present the more I allow this to warm up, but overall it would appear to be a tart smelling "sour" beer. Can't wait to taste it.

Taste - The initial taste is a burst of tart fruits such as sour/dark cherries, plums, and just a hint of raisins. After the tartness there is a mid-taste barnyard funk reminiscent of damp hay. This then melds with the floral scents and spices from the nose which bring to mind clove, ginger, and a hint of pepper. I really, really like this beer.

Mouthfeel - Relatively light, almost Champaign like with the loads of carbonation that prickle the tongue. Rather enjoyable for the way this beer tastes and is presented.

Drinkability - Immensely. I am sitting here attempting not to quaff this delicious beer I have been waiting quite some time to try. I wish I could get my hands on some more of this but I highly doubt it at this point in time. Recommended. Jolly Pumpkin and their unique style makes me want more and more of their beer all the time. Excellent.

Baudelaire IO from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales