Bambic | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

180 bottles [750 ml]

Added by womencantsail on 01-25-2011

Reviews: 102 | Ratings: 203
2.31/5  rDev -41.8%

Big thanks(?) to TurdFurgison for dropping by Chi-town and lugging this seemingly new whale with him.

A - We have a 330 ml fat bottle gusher! That was a bit strange. Hazy/cloudy golden yellow color with a bit of lacing. Not beautiful, but above average.

T - This beer stinks of rotten apple cores with brett, a bit of hay, and a seeming indecision on whether or not it is a saison or a sour. There is some barynard funk, but it smells more like moldy hay than cozy farm.

T - I have no idea why people have been trying to get this. It tastes a saisony sour that has had it's tart notes removed and replaced with rotting (not good) apples. It tastes of rot (which is funk gone bad) and a bad sweetness that reminds me a little bit of trash. I don't know what this beer is trying to accomplish, although I do get some brett taste gone bad here. This is not good. Some rind and citrus come through on the back end, but aren't enough to save it. Slight bitterness on the end that sitcks out and doesn't blend with the rest of the beer.

M - Fairly crisp, decent carbonation, a slight stickyness.

D - No. I don't like this beer (and I mean bordering on hate here) and can't bring myself to drink it again.

2.31/5  rDev -41.8%

330ml bottle "blend 2" bottled 3-15-2011

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow color with a thick white foam that settles to a thin ring. Decent lacing left behind.

S- Very funky aroma with a medicinal/herbal smell. Maybe a touch of tart lemon.

T- Woah, this one has some strange qualities. Rubbing alcohol, bandaids and fresh onions. If I really strain I can faintly recognize some lemon, oak, and peach flavors but a very astringent plastic flavor dominates everything.

M- Light bodied with decent carbonation.

O- I did not enjoy this beer. Did I drink it much too young?

2.51/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The hype train can stop, sanity has arrived, thanks again, Chicago. Eric has some nerve bringing this all the way to Chicago for us! Just playing ninja, thanks a ton for this! 330ml bottle poured into a tulip at our dinner tasting...This is a gusher, beware. Pours a medium gold, good looking. The head has some good retention, a great cap forms, strong lacing...The aroma is pedestrian, the typical Jolly Pumpkin starter kit yeast with oak. This is very musky with lots of lemons, lemony brett. This isn't bad, just familiar, nothing new...The taste is just down right terrible, its harsh and chemical and very hard to drink. Lemons, black pepper, oak, and the always welcome notes of cleaning solvent. This is well below average, a wild ale that you should not even bother tasting.

PASS.

2.61/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: peach-gold pour; big head with some decent lacing.

Smell: Off-funk, bits of plastic and diapers mixed in. I've never been a fan of Jolly Pumpkin's bugs. Lots of lemon sourness and brett. Not a high-grade product

Taste: Tastes a bit off, weird funk of diapers and plastics, not the high-quality cantillon or drie fonteinen funk. Some lemons, pepper and oak behind it. Flavors are not very integrated.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is too aggressive

Overall: Not impressed with this one; I dumped my glass after a few sips and moved on.

Squat fat bottle, purchased at the Winking Lizard in Lakewood for $10 and opened at an impromptu tasting in Chicago. Surprisingly this little bottle was a gusher, I guess I've never seen that in a tiny bottle before.

It pours a pale golden color, murky and cloudy, with a big poof (no surprise with the gushing). Mild bret notes, VERY mild, a somewhat muted Belgian Pale Ale character overall. Only 30% lambic from what I read, 70% Bam, but really the Bam dominates the nose and taste for me.

The taste didn't do it for me, not sour at all, just a little funky, and worst of all a strong bitterness that marred the aftertaste. I was pretty let down, I love a few from the JP line-up but not this one. I think "Lambam" would be a more interesting concept (70% Lambicus and 30% Bam), but possibly that would result in much lower yield.

3.04/5  rDev -23.4%

Got this bottle from my wifes friend. Reads blend 2 bottled on 3-15-2011. Pours a faint yellow with some pretty good lacing. Smells like wine. Kinda sourish smell that follows with the taste. Bitter aftertaste that has a little grapefruit taste to it. Not a bad beer. I'm not really a fan of these types of beers but ill pick one up every once in awhile.

3.1/5  rDev -21.9%

-Blend 1, bottled on 12-01-10, from a 330ml. bottle.

Pours in the glass a cloudy, light orange color with yellow, pale straw colored highlights at the edge. Has a big, rocky head of foam at first which recedes rather quickly back into the glass.

Strong funk upfront on the nose of boiled eggs or a soft French cheese such as a Brie. Good citrus aromas of lemons and grapefruit. I'm also picking up the smell of fresh pineapple juice and a faint nose of apricots. After awhile the robust funk blows off leaving a earthy hop, dusty haybarn or burlap sack funk to the nose which I like better. Somewhat sugary, candied fruit in there also. Lots of lemon aromas coming out now as this beer warms up, almost reminds me of dandelion flowers.

Low carbonation. Has a soft and thin mouthfeel to it. Not much sourness in the initial sip. Plenty of lemons in the taste, with flavors of grapefruit, even pink grapefruit maybe and fresh pineapple juice. Somewhat of a sweet, light butter taste to the beer which makes me think of pound cake or a rich chardonnay. The sweetness is faint though the beer is more dry, with crisp and clean flavors. I picked up some of that boiled egg, soft cheese funk not much though, not like at first in the nose. Kinda musty and earthy in the palate, fresh wheat bread. I keep think of fermenting brewer's yeast in the nose and taste. Just that eggy, hydrogen sulfide aroma you get from fermenting yeast. Has a acidic, tartness that hits you pretty sharply in the finish with not much else. Overall the flavors are still much mellower than in the nose.

I found this beer looked and smelled better than it taste. It wasn't bad, but I just could of used more on the palate. It was a very crisp and clean beer. The flavors just kinda disappeared rather quickly. On that note I've got another 330ml and a 750ml to age, I'll be interested too see what happens with this beer down the road.

3.12/5  rDev -21.4%

I made a special trip over to the Winking Lizzard in Mentor to give this brew a try. I can see both sides of the hype and hate for the brew. This beer definatly isn't for everyone.

Personally I didn't hate the beer but at the same time I wasn't crazy about it either. I liked the appearance poured into the glass and I liked the fruity smell. On the other hand the beer itself was extremely too sour and tart. When taking small sips of the beer it wasn't too overwhelming but taking a normal drink/gulp it was too over powering.

3.23/5  rDev -18.6%

Thanks to TurdFurgison for sharing. A blend of Bam Biere and Lambicus Dexterius - what could go wrong?

A - We have a gusher! Pours with a finger of foam that dissipates to a thin cap and thick collar, leaving behind splotches of lace. Hazy blonde body.

S - Lots of orange citrus, oak, vanilla, spicy wood, black pepper, and some floral notes. As it warms up more funky brett comes out.

T - Taste is more smoothed out, with citrus pulp, unmalted grain, spicy wood. It's a little bit bland actually.

M - The feel is my least favorite thing about this beer. Grainy and extremely tannic medium-light body, with medium-low carbonation.

D - It goes down easy enough, but it's not particularly exciting. I didn't dislike this, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try it again. I think I prefer Lambicus and Bam Bière on their own.

3.27/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Reviewing the beer Bambic from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales out of Dexter, Michigan.

Score: 80

Batch 4, bottled 12/23/2011. Consumed 05/07/13 using an Upland snifter. Review is from iPhone notes.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange color with virtually no head. Minimal lacing, minimal retention. 3/5

Smell: The aroma is loaded with medicinal brett notes and yogurty funk. You know the smell of old wet wood that is left in the heat? There is some of that too mixed with spice and oak. The nose is certainly interesting, but I do not love it. 3.5/5

Taste: Tons of "sweat"-smelling funk in finish. Oak too. Substantially less yogurt quality, but more funk than the nose. Seriously, tons and tons of bretty funk here. Has a sharp, but not very strong, sharpness with a little lemon character. 3.25/5

Mouthfeel: Light-plus bodied, minimal carbon. Decent tartness. Modestly dry. 3/5

Overall: A harsh, aggressively flavored funky beer. I see the flavor profile as polarizing, and its not something I prefer.

Cost: $10 for a 11.2 oz stubby bottle.

3.37/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass on 12/29/11

Blend 1; Bottled 12/01/10

Lazy-eyed golden sunset in color. Lots of clinging and rising bubbles. A fizzy, bubbling head dissipates and compresses to about 1/4th inch layer. Good retention for the style. Minimal lace is scattered about, never managing to hold much.

Tangy and funky aromas jolt the nose; haven't had one of these in a while but both attributes seem more prominent than when fresh. Perhaps the damp barrel notions are picking up steam? Notes of rain-drenched lemon grass and overly ripe, fermenting tart apple. Suggestions of stinky cheese. Calmer fruit esters and mild yeast spices linger underneath. The aroma opens up to reveal a rather clean bouquet. Very nice.

One sip is telling - quite sour and tart with a moderate funk presence. Cheese, cobweb, scathingly sour apple, termite-augered oak, barnyard hay and straw. The finish is dry and has all sorts of barnyard recollections drifting to and fro. The flavors seem much more aggressive than when I had a fresh bottle earlier this year - it had a cleaner, lemon and grass flavor. Thankfully the sour lessens over time (or as my palate acclimates); at this point musty barrels take hold.

The feel is light, edging into watery, but a resilient crispness-in-spite-of the-funkiness keeps the body from dipping too low in the deep end. Carbonation kicks too much upfront, what with the sourness and all, but simmers over time.

Bambic is a decent enough beer, but I don't know as that I'm on board with [what was, at the time] the fuss and price of entry. Plus, I liked it better fresh. I reckon I'll factor in a few of my recollections to give it the benefit of the doubt. Regardless, it isn't bad.

3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

On tap at the release at J.P.

A: Pours a hazy yellow-gold with three inches of white head.

S: tart lemon. a little earth and some oak. Nice brett funkiness.

T: Slightly sweet citrus fruit, and little oak. Mild brett sourness. Not as sour as expected.

M: Great carbonation.

D: One is enough

3.39/5  rDev -14.6%

Received this as an extra in a trade a long while ago. Blend 4, bottled 12/23/2011. This is Bam and a lambic blended.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a nice crystal clear golden hue with a thin one finger head that fades rather quickly to leave light wisps and a thin halo.

S - Aromas of old saison remnants combined with fun brett, tart and funky and fruity...like taking a hay ride through an orchard. Liked the nose quite a bit until I gave it a hard swirl, then it became more "stale barnyard" like..an old horse stall.

T - Taste is an insane amount of brett. I gotta agree with my man jegross2 on just about everything here. like sweat without the salt, loads of oak, super super funky. I do get a ton of yogurt aspect here though. I'm not sure if this would have been better fresh (I imagine it would have). The amount of yogurt/funky brett here is mind blowing.

M - Mouthfeel has pretty nice carbonation, crisp, light, clean, slightly tart.

O - What on earth happened here. I had been hesitant to open this over the past 2 years, wishing I had. This flavour profile may be amazing for some people, but for me its just waaaay too much aggressive brett.

3.39/5  rDev -14.6%

batch 2 bambic from the birthday BIF. Thanks!

A- Pale orange/yellow with a lively head. Bottle was a slow gusher but I got it into the glass with time to spare.

S- Lemony with a strong dirty sock aroma. Not my favorite.

T- Lots of funk- earthy and bitter. No dirty socks, thankfully. Lemon is mild compared to the nose- lots of oak as well. Mild green apple. Sharp bite to the acidity.

M- High carbonation helps take the edge off some of the stronger flavors. It does the beer well. Nice on the tongue.

O- Impressed. Did not know what to expect going in, but I liked it. Went over well with some sour n00bs I shared it with, as well. Seems like this is one of those beers where the overall score doesn't reflect my enjoyment of this beer, so I'm bumping the overall to round it out.

3.46/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Blind BIF Beer #5

About this time we were hankering for an IPA, stout, barleywine. Something to mix things up from the sour barrage.

Weird 12oz bottle, similar to Green Flash, but this is not Green Flash.

It's sour. Feel the pain. Enjoy the pain.

Honestly, we were a little sour fatigued at this point. My already not very detailed notes became even less detailed.

Smell is old but not unpleasant. Taste is bland but not unpleasant.

I had absolutely no idea what this was, but as soon as the reveal was jolly pumpkin we saw the telltale jolly pumpkin signs we had missed.

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

Bottle, 375 ml, Blend 2, 2011.

Pour: Clear golden straw with a 1/4 inch white bubbly champagne head.

Nose: Chardonnay, oak, Brett, apple rhind, lemon zest, barnyard funk and band aid.

Taste: Initially a tart lemon zest, granny smith apple and oak that transitions into a drying slightly soured oak, Chardonnay and Brett finish. This tastes like a blend of RR Tenptation and Sanctification...almost identical.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly at first and finishes slightly drying.

Overall: I liked this as my first JP offering and would love to have one again. It's not at the top of my sour list but it's quite enjoyable. The nose and taste seemed slightly muted when compared to similar offerings which is my only complaint.

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

330 ml bottle, Blend 2, bottled 3-15-2011. Served in a Unibroue tulip glass, the beer pours a cloudy gold color with about a half inch white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent. Aroma is lemon and orange peel, white grapes, tart apples, funk and oak. The taste is similar to the aroma, the brew tastes like lemon peel, funk, oak, bready malt, white grapes and light tropical fruit. It's somewhat tart, but the tartness isn't very strong and it doesn't linger around for long in the finish, either. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and creamy with good carbonation. I think it's a decent brew, but I was hoping the tartness would have a little more kick to it. Hopefully it will get better with age, but right now there's nothing that impresses me about this beer. I expected more from Jolly Pumpkin with this brew. For $8.99 a bottle, my money could have been spent on something better. It's still worth a try if you're never had it before.

3.62/5  rDev -8.8%

Huge to one of my regulars erikkoppin for tossing this in a recent box. Split and poured into tulips. I read this one had gusher issues. Unfortunately I forgot that as I cracked it. Holy shit! In the blink of an eye the beer came rushing out out of the bottle. Luckily we were ready with our tulips. So we didn't lose much.

A: Cloudy golden orange. Huge three finger plus of bright white head. Soapy lace left behind.

S: Nice tart nose. Juicy lemon, lactic, green apple skins, touch of vinegar. The funk comes in as it sits. Wet hay, musty basement band aids.

T: The sourness seems focused on the back of my tongue. I don't get much in the flavors except a solid woodiness and some sweet and sour pull.

M: Light super carbonated body.

O: This one was decent but nothing real memorable.

3.62/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy gold color with a cloud like head. Aroma of funk and vinegar. Taste follows with sour pucker up front and funk in the back. Lighter than most wilds, easy to drink. I like this beer, it's not very complex but it's a nice beer. I'm glad I had the chance to try it.

3.63/5  rDev -8.6%

Perhaps mellow after 2 years but still the foamer. Dark brown, with initially lots of foam. Neutral aroma. A wild ale, some acidity, but not that sour. How shall I say it, dish soap soapy residue aftertaste? Good drinkability, though just OK. Thanks for the rarer one in these parts, Steve.

3.63/5  rDev -8.6%

Batch 1 and Batch 2 tasted side by side. Thanks to readbaron for bringing the batch 1 over. Reviews are an average of the two.

Appearance: The pour is a golden yellow color with a small white froth on top. Decent retention and a bit of lace down the glass.

Smell: The aroma has light biscuity malt up front, with a light lemon zest and grapefruit rind. A bit of perfume haunts the aroma of the batch 2.

Taste: The flavor is fairly sour from start to finish, a kind of smooth and consistent flavor. Lemon juice and grapefruit zest bring out the sour, with a lasting crackery malt with a bit of spice. The finish has some perfume in batch 2 that I don't really care for.

Mouthfeel: Slightly tart, acidic, and acetic, which leaves my mouth salivating with some residue behind. The carbonation is mostly creamy, with a light to medium body.

Overall: The batch 1 is clearly better than batch 2. Whether it is the 4 months of age or a different blend that makes it better I don't know, but batch 1 was way better.

3.64/5  rDev -8.3%

Thanks to Ryan011235 for this 330 ml bottle, poured into an oversized snifter. Slightly hazy orange with a short-lived fizzy white head that's soon a wispy island surrounded by a collar of foam, and soon after than near gone altogether. Small patches of wet lace are teased now and then, but mostly drip back in.

Funky and oaky aromas drift in and out of cider vinegar, lemon, and the tiniest hint of sweet fruitiness, perhaps peaches.

A 1-2 punch of funk and sour. A touch of sweetness would perhaps bring an extra element of complexity, but it's pretty tasty stuff. Interesting mouthfeel; the carbonation seems to fluff up the funk and lemon midswallow. It's briefly quite a mouthful before finishing very dry. Lingering cider vinegar and funk in the finish.

Overall impression: I prefer my wild ales without the brett, but this one's not bad at all. Kind of quaffable and challenging at the same time.

3.66/5  rDev -7.8%

A: A hazy yellowish orange. Can not see through it. No head formed upon pour.

S: Lemon, sour, tart, and barn yard.

T: Loads of lemon and grapefruit. Quite sour. Much better than the smell.

M: Tart and tangy.

O: A decent sour, nothing to seek out but definitely worth trying at least once.

3.68/5  rDev -7.3%

Batch 2 and batch 1. Pour a lightly hazed gold, b1 was a bit darker. Nose is barn-heavy, lightly hopped, Lambicus really comes out as it opens with that manure, urine, super funky quality. Flavor lightly bitter, raw, grainy, fairly bretty, a good amount of that wicked Lambicus funk. Batch 1 is more integrated and pungent. Decent.

3.68/5  rDev -7.3%

Thanks Brew33

A - cloudy yellow body, small white head.

S - soap? tart, some oak.

T - mildly tart lemony flavor. Very palatable, not that interesting.

M - dry, light, thin, fairly smooth.

O (D) - a fine beer, just nothing too interesting. Probably not worth the price, but i'm glad i got to try it.

Bambic from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales