Collababeire Special Holiday Ale | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Added by jale on 01-28-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 30 | Ratings: 52
3.12/5  rDev -4.3%

A- A deep brown liquid with some orange and ruby highlights. There is little to no head to speak of, which is really surprising considering it is a Jolly Pumpkin beer.

S- White grapes, oak, spices, and a strong acidic-funky quality. Very aromatic and unique... I don't know if I would use the word "inviting" though.

T- Pretty sour with loads of spices. Some oak and a solid malt base round things off. The spices are odd.

M- Definitely on the flat side. There is a strong acidic finish that keeps it from becoming boring.

D- The alcohol is pretty well hidden, but the spices are odd. I wish this were in a smaller bottle than a 750 ml. Not bad, but not worth seeking out. Most definitely not worth the $17 price tag.

1.79/5  rDev -45.1%

Thanks to Jason for bringing this to the UFC 126 and food swap tasting.

A - Brown beer without a lot of head, carbonation appears low on this one. Somewhat transparent and clear, looks fine.

S - Smells not fine. Weird spices that seem more suited for cooking than beer. Seems to be a bit of a sage bomb which is a poor choice for a beer.

T - Taste follows the smell in that it is not good at all, pretty much gross. Lots of spices, primarily sage and caraway. There is some caramel backbone, but it's not helping. This beer is just awful, something that should have been tasted and destroyed, not put into bottles.

M - Little flat, which is disappointing which would have been been better as it might have distracted from the horrible taste.

D - Yeah right, this is so bad, can't get it down. No one should drink this or give it to anyone else to drink.

1.81/5  rDev -44.5%

I regretfully brought this to our UFC tasting, drank from the bottle into a perfect pint glass... This pours looking precent decent, albeit with basically no carbonation. A dark but clear copper body with some amber, looks good... The aroma is pretty rough. For once not the typical Jolly Pumpkin sour oak, actually no sour notes at all. This is dominated by spices, caramel with tons of caraway and sage, not what I want in my beer... The taste is more of the same but is just horrendous. Who would want to drink caraway and sage with a hint of caramel. Terrible finish, and feel. This is utter garbage, everyone drained pour this right away.

Don't even think about it.

1.76/5  rDev -46%

Nogne O, Stone, JP making a winter ale? I've seen the Nogne O version, may even have tried it once but this is a new one to me.

A great brown with no head, I think that is more to do with how the JP Cafe pours than the beer. The smell is..different. A bit of spice, lots of sage. There is a nip of caramel and fruit in the aroma as well.

The taste is, well, Horrific. It's like sage leaves covered in half moldy sour cherry juice. I tried, I powered through the first quarter of the glass but dios mio, this is bad. The sourness thins out the body but the sage is just massive, leaving an acrid bitterness.

I would never drink this again, and my super awesome server saw this on my face. She took it off my bill and threw in a free pint of Bambic, a true win in my book. Thank you sexy server, thank you for so much.

JP- Please never do this to an unsuspecting drinker again. Please.

2.36/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Jolly Pumpkin.

A: Pours a hazy dark brown with little head.

S: Initial smell is of a flat cola. Crazy, I have never said that about a beer. Some malt, nuts, and a little sage.

T: Sweet flat cola at first, not in a bad way but very unusual. Roasted malt then somewhat nutty. Spice, some sage, a little juniper and a nice sour J.P. flavor. I don't pick up any hops. This beer is really funky. Funky in a bad way.

M: Not much carbonation.

D: I should have tasted before I bought bottles.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last