De Viento | Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by liamt07 on 05-24-2012

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

4.42/5  rDev +12.2%

A: Pours a super deep brown with slight red hues. It's basically black, but the colors come out when held up to a light. There is a massive puffy off-white head that takes forever to settle down. It's been 5 minutes now, and this foam it's budging a mm.

S: My first impression is sour and spice. I get tart cherries, funky yeast, cracked peppercorns, and fresh cut grass. I'm diggin' it.

T: Wow. I was not expecting that. It starts off with a kick of peppery spice followed immediately by a solid coffee note. It reminds me a bit of that New Orleans coffee is spiked with chicory. Really nice. It's get a tiny bit funky in the middle, but it's not outrageous. The finish is more coffee and mild fruit tartness.

M: Medium bodied beer. It feels light on the palate, even a bit thin, but the flavors are pronounced, and they transition well from first taste to lingering notes. It's extremely drinkable for a funky coffee beer.

O: I'm really enjoying this Jolly Pumpkin offering. A lot of their beers are hit or miss for me, but this is a hit. I kind wish I picked up a few more bottles. I also kinda wish I poured it into a CBS snifter so I could MarkIntihar it.

4.39/5  rDev +11.4%

Bottle reads that this is "Batch 1070: Bottled 04-27-2012."

I love the name of this beer--"de viento." The label mentions the tornado that swept through Dexter, Michigan in the Spring of 2012--so the "from wind" or "of the wind" title is fitting. The label also mentions that the proceeds from the purchase of this beer o toward the Dexter Relief Fund. Nothing better than the local brewery using its craft to help rebuild its town. The more I travel, and the more breweries I visit, the more I see each place take on a sense of local pride.

So, on to the beer.

With a less than aggressive pour, the head on this is massive! A pillowy, fluffy tan head sitting atop a dark, near pitch-black beer. This looks great.

The aroma is sour...quite sour. Notes of grapes, wet oak, sour apple, and peppercorn. It's difficult to get much beyond the very distinct, funky sourness in the nose...it smells good!

The flavor gives much more than the aroma lets on. While the sour notes are there (apple cider, peppercorn, tart pomegranate juice), some of the other flavors are immediately present. There are coffee notes, chocolate, cinnamon, black pepper, a bit of smoke and a hint of clove. so much is happening in this beer.

I love the Saison style. While there is a typical characteristic that one assumes when "Saison" is mentioned, the style can carry many different masks. This one is on the roasted coffee, peppery-spiced, cidery-sour side of things. It is balanced and drinkable, funky and interesting.

Overall, this is a truly unique ale. Its color is misleading for its style, but the flavors within offer a creative and fresh take on a classic style. As with most Jolly Pumpkin ales, this is well worth picking up.

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a red wine glass.

Appearance: lighter than expected. I had been half afraid this would be a coffee bomb, but judging from appearance, it's going to be subtle. This might be really good...
Pours golden black. You'd probably be able to see through it in a different glass. 2 finger head formed and never completely left. Crazy thick lacing. It reminded me of when I'd gone caving..

Smell: semi stuffed up nose so it's hard for me to fight through. Subtle sour smell, even more subtle coffee hidden in there. Again, relieved this doesn't seem to be a coffee bomb.

Taste: initial tartness but mild and fades quickly. Saison comes in with some really nice spice character. Coffee comes in the finish, extremely mild & smooth; like a coffee ice cream. Everything fits well together.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, smooth, quickly turns foamy if you move it around at all, makes you salivate.

Overall: I was really impressed. I can't say I expect it to age well, but I am loving this fresh.

4.32/5  rDev +9.6%

750ml bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is dark brown with dark amber highlights. I got an enormous tan head with very little effort.

S - The aroma is fantastic. I get funk, tart, lemon, and coffee in that order.

T - It starts out with some tartness and lemon. Through the middle I get some musty funk. It finishes with some sweetness and coffee. The roasted malt flavors linger in the aftertaste.

M - It is loaded with tingly carbonation and has a moderate viscosity.

O - I originally tried this at the brewpub in June. It was worthy of a bottle purchase, and I think I enjoy this bottle more than I did on tap. It is a unique blend of flavors that I would not normally associate. Jolly Pumpkin makes great saisons and this is no exception.

4.32/5  rDev +9.6%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 4/24/2012. Pours fairly crystal clear nearly opaque very dark brown color with a 2 finger dense and rocky light khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big dark roasted coffee, cocoa, chocolate, toast, lemon zest, green apple, tart cherry, pepper, clove, hay, straw, grass, musty funk, oak, light leather, and yeast earthiness. Fantastic aromas with awesome complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt, coffee, spices, and fruity/funky yeast notes; with great strength. Taste of dark roasted coffee, cocoa, chocolate, toast, lemon zest, green apple, tart cherry, hay, straw, grass, musty funk, oak, light leather, and yeast earthiness. Fair amount of fruity tartness and roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of coffee, cocoa, chocolate, lemon zest, green apple, tart cherry, hay, straw, grass, musty funk, oak, light leather, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a while. Outstanding complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt, coffee, spices, and fruity/funky yeast flavors; with a great malt/tartness/spiciness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium-high carbonation and medium bodied; with a very smooth, crisp, and slightly acidic/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an outstanding spiced dark saison style! All around awesome complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt, coffee, spices, and fruity/funk yeast flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.26/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared with, and thanks to scud. Thanks Dan! Poured into HF tulips.

Pour: Nearly black murky body, with a huge four finger khaki head. The head sticks around for the entire glass.

Smell: Interesting... sour bretty yeast, some dark cherries and raisins, and some smokey caramel.

Taste: Oh my. Really nice blast of clean flavorless tartness, that evolves into a pear and cherry tartness. Next, we have some chocolate roastiness. Finally ends with a nice blast of coffee, almost FBS like.

Mouthfeel: Sour notes are fantastic. Pretty darn drinkable for all thats going on.

Overall: An amazing beer, and truly like nothing I've had before. Fantastic.

De Viento from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales