Saranac India Pale Ale | Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-19-2001

1.5/5  rDev -54.8%

1.75/5  rDev -47.3%

1.79/5  rDev -46.1%

Got this in an Adirondack Trail Mix sixer. Pours a gold appearing body. There just isn't much hops in both the smell and the taste, the mouthfeel is crisp but this is the only really redeeming quality of the beer. It's not that drinkable a brew, I guess you get what you pay for.

1.9/5  rDev -42.8%

12 oz bottle received as part of the winter seasonal 12 pack.

The beer was a light gold color that had me double-take to the bottle to make sure that I had actually opened the IPA. The head was thin and quickly faded with very little of the oily lacing that I love in IPAs. The smell was equally weak like the color with a very faint hop aroma and no noticeable malt presence.

After failing the appearance and smell tests, the taste lived up to my newly reduced expecttions. There is very little hop bite, no malt flavors, and any initial tastes that are expected in an IPA fade immediately to an unpleasant finish. The carbonation and thickness of the beer seem to be in the ballpark of an IPA, but that is about the only "compliment" I can find.

I drank a third of the pint and gave up as additional sips showed no improvement. This beer is a drain pour.

For a brand like Saranac that is making a name for itself and trying to strengthen its reputation, I really expected a bedrock beer like an IPA to be above average. Utterly dissappointing.

1.91/5  rDev -42.5%

As described on the bottleneck, the beer appears a golden straw color. Its head froths to 2mm thick at the pour, and then dissipates to thin, partial coverage. Not too bad, but nothing all that impressive.

A "generous" amount of cascade hops and I can't enjoy the smell? It doesn't stink or anything, but I really feel like all these Saranac/Matt Brewing Company beers smell and taste nearly the same. It's got some sorta wierd, bark-like odor that I smell in all these beers. Bark's my best guess but--whatever it is--it ain't that good.

I bought this beer in a mixed-six at Food Lion. Aside from maybe Longhammer, it's like the only IPA in that store. It has a peculiar, sour, acrid taste to it that is just short of awful. I acknowledge that this brewery offered some variety long before the craft beer explosion, but I can't give a whole lot of credit to longevity. There's a hint of bitterness in the aftertaste, but I consistently get sour vibes. I know it's not a bad beer issue because I detect this thru the whole Saranac line. Why review a beer I know I don't like? Hadn't had it in a while, saw IPA at the Food Lion, and wanted to give it another shot. Now I'll just have documented my thoughts on this beer.

The mouthfeel is tolerable. Juxtaposed against that sour bark is a bitterness that isn't pleasant. When I like beers like Ruination, why don't I like this type of bitterness? Where I usually experience malt backbone, I feel almost like I've got liquid bark in my mouth.

Drinkability is poor. I'll finish it just outta principle, so it's not so bad I'm going to pour it down the drain. As I contemplate the appropriate context to enjoy this one, I'm honestly at a loss. In every potential environment I can conjure in my head, there are far better beers to enjoy.

12oz bottle. Pours a light straw with quite a bit of carbonation. Light hoppy aroma. First taste is sparkly and crisp. There's some flavour in there, but not really a lot of hops. A slightly unpleasant aftertaste doesn't stick around for very long. I can't say a had a lot of hope based on my memory of some Saranac beers many moons ago, but this is one still falls below expectations.

2.01/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured a bright macro yellow with a thick and creamy off white head.

The smell was thin and light, where are all these hops the label was talking about?

The taste is watery and thin, once again I ask "Where are the Hops?" Only a slight bit of juniper poking through at the end. One of thinnest and most boring IPA's I have ever had.

The mouthfeel is light and creamy.

In contrary to the bottle claiming this is a hop lovers delight, all hop heads steer clear of this bland offering.

2.05/5  rDev -38.3%

12 ounce bottled poured into a La Chouffe tulip.

See-thru amber/gold body with a fluffy and frothy off-white head that leaves sticky lacing from the top edge of the glass. Nice retention.

Smells... uh oh, could have another "east coast" IPA here. Giving the benefit of the doubt, it could be an older bottle (no freshness dating). A bit metallic, a bit nutty, a touch of saltwater taffy(?). Mild citrusy notes if you go looking for them.

Flavor is similarly disappointing. Moderate metallic bitterness, a bit leafy, a bit nutty, a bit bready (like day-old bread, kinda stale). Cardboard? Some mild apple sweetness. Moderate carbonation. Just not a very enjoyable beer.

Overall impression: A treat for the eyes, but that's it. Not recommended. I'll certainly give it another shot and re-review if I find it on tap and can be guaranteed of freshness.

2.08/5  rDev -37.3%

This brew poured nicely enough- looks like an IPA, and its printed on the bottle- nice try. Im not really understanding saranac on this one. Aromas were slightly sweet in their malt character but the hops- WTF? an odd phenolic nastiness which i was hoping would change on the first few sips did not go away- not sure what kind of hops were used on in this brew- strong, astringent bitters almost medicinal but not in a good way. Either this was contaminated by some crazy yeasts, cleaners or some unfiltered water- who knows. Ugliness. Nothing more to say.

2.08/5  rDev -37.3%

Poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer looked alright in the glass. The beer was golden colored with ruby highlights. The head was just briefly there and then gone. A small ring of foam surounds the top of the beer.

Smell: Smells slightly of spicey hoppyness. No sweetness or maltyness noted.

Taste: Very little hops and no spicyness or maltyness to be found. Leaves a biter back taste in the mouth.

Mouthfeel: The beer has a nice creamyness but the back taste is terrible. This beer is out of wack. There is not enough hoppyness or maltyness.

Drinkability: This was almost a drain pour.

2.12/5  rDev -36.1%

Presentation:Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Chilled Conical.
Appearance: .The Beer looks nice, vivid, rich golden amber color, thick creamy white head, the head retains for a bit then dissipates after several minutes. Nice lacing, hangs on the sides of the glass through out.
Smell: kinda musty smelling, strong hops, hint of malt
Taste: musty, very hoppy, earthy, piney
Mouthfeel: dry, makes me more thirsty
Drinkability: one beer is fine couldn't imagine ordering another.

I was expecting more, didn't taste like an IPA, looked nice, smelled ok, but left me shaking my head. It's a shame cause the body of the beer is nice,very solid, has all the elements, but really comes up short on the taste and feel.

2.14/5  rDev -35.5%

Golden, straw color with a thin white head that leaves fair lace and retention. Neck label states "a hop lovers delight." I feel like they built me up just to knock me down.

Aroma is prickly grapefruit hop spice. White grape fruit juice and an odd sugary undertone--brownies, canned pumpkin pie filling?

Fuzzy agave hop oil and thin, burnt juice-like malt. Hops come through primarily as a light oil with a meek bitter hiccup in back--these hops should be ashamed of themselves. Very light body and submissive malt bill -- there's a pond water element at work here and I don't like it. No sir, I don't like it at all.

Weak hops and weak malt does not an IPA make. I checked the Saranac website for the ingredients and they are only two: cascade and American 2-row. I like a simple beer but c'mon man, if you're not gonna try brewing I'm not gonna try drinking. Don't often see a 12oz. drainpour from me but this one had it comin'.

2.14/5  rDev -35.5%

A: Pours a dark straw color with a foamy one-finger head. Leaves a little bit of lacing on the glass.

S: Not much smell... a bit of grass and hops is all I can detect.

T: Weak. Dump some hops in a glass of water and you'll get this. A strange lemony sourness in the finish.

M: Light bodied, but good carbonation.

D: Don't waste your money. Fortunately, I got this as a "gift", so I didn't. This might work as a good introductory IPA for BMC junkies.

2.17/5  rDev -34.6%

Bottle poured into Sam Adams special pint glass.

Nice foamy head that stays around and leaves a sticky lacing on the glass. Not straw colored as the bottle says, but a very light orange-brown. Slightly cloudy. Nice.

Smells only of hops. I get nothing else. Very one-note.

Tastes like chewing a mouthful of hops. I don't taste anything else. Disappointing. Not a huge IPA fan, but I expect some complexity.

Like most Saranac beers, this falls short on mouthfeel, but it's a bit better than some of the others.

I wouldn't drink this if I didn't already have it in my fridge.

Saranac India Pale Ale from Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery