Saranac Our Octoberfest German Style Lager | Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery

Saranac Our Octoberfest German Style LagerSaranac Our Octoberfest German Style Lager

Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery
New York, United States
saranac.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-15-2001

1.75/5  rDev -49.4%

2.03/5  rDev -41.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malt, spices and some pale hops.

T: The taste starts with a strong pale hops flavor. The same pale hops flavor that I don’t like in their Pale Ale. There are some flavors of caramel and spice that come in next and there’s a decent malt character. The after-taste is bitter.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is dry.

D: Not very tasty, doesn’t go down very easily, not too filling, decent kick, poor representation of style, there would have to be a very limited array of choice available for me to select this beer again and I certainly would not recommend it to anyone.

2.06/5  rDev -40.5%

we all have our favorite octoberfest this isnt one of them , i tryed something diffrent and boy it bit my ass , the beer has too much head , too much foam , doesnt taste like auturm stay away from this beer if you have taste, if a poor man oto fest enjoy your favorite and dont try this one enjoy the fall beers

2.24/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Reviewed on 4 November 2010.

Poured at 40 degrees F into standard American pint glass. Pours a clear orange-gold, less than a 1-finger egg-white head, almost no lacing. The first ingredient in the aroma is cinnamon, just like when you put cinnamon in a homebrew. Other than that, some sweet autumn-malts. Taste didn't sit well with me. Way too bready, and the bitterness is not the kind of bittering hops we all know and love. This bitterness combines with the carbonation and destroys the roof of my mouth. The taste of cinnamon doesn't carry over heavily. It leaves a sticky, undesirable stale malt flavor on the palate. I would not recommend this as a session beer. However, Saranac has other good brews, so don't turn down the company immediately.

2.26/5  rDev -34.7%

2008 Version, September, 2008

Poured into a pint glass.

Nice 1 inch off-white head which sticks around for a while. Some sheet lacing which moves to spot as time passes. Color is on style being a nice deeper copper color.

Aroma is not very prevalent either way, not much bread/malt. Some very faint floral hops. Not a marzen in character.

The taste is definitely not on style. Little maltiness, with hops being the most prevalent characteristic. Some metallic taste in the finish, which linger and becomes hard to deal with in the end. I can't really consider this a marzen from the taste profile.

Mouthfeel is ok, at medium.

As this one is not on style, I can't really consider the drinkability here, and at a 2.5 I think I'm being charitable.

Overall, I'm very disappointed in this offering from one of my favorite "budget" brewers. I have noticed that this style from Utica seems to have gotten worse over the last few years. Maybe they should consider foregoing the style in the future? If you are looking for a budget marzen style this year, give Dundee's a try (see separate review)--much closer to the style and only $5.99 a sixer in NW Connecticut.

Steve

Picked this one up yesterday at Halftime in Poughkeepsie on my way home from New Jersey, as it is no loanger avaiable in Litchfield County, CT.

This one is ok, but just ok. I think it has been better in recent years. Not really on style in my opinion; not very malty with little bread aroma. Also, a bit hoppier than I think an O'fest should be, and pretty thin. With that said, worth a try; but I will not be buying anymore this season.

2.3/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle, served in a pint glass.

A - clear, amber color with a slight tan head that went away completely, leaving no lace.

S - malty/funky aroma

T - some sweet malt taste, but not very good.

M - medium/light bodied, a bit watery.

D - I had a hard time finishing the one glass, so I just 'pounded it' .

2.31/5  rDev -33.2%

I would not say this beer is worth a try. It tastes like a marginal import thats popular with people that drink whatever beer they think is cool. That said, it has a light body with an almost skunky aroma. Taste is starts with overly sweet caramel followed by nice hops flavor with is then ruined by a sour skunk flavor. It wasn't bad at first, but the aftertaste is rotten. What a shame.

2.33/5  rDev -32.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. 10/27/08.

Pours a clear golden-amber color with almost three fingers of beige head. The head dropped slowly, no lacing. Aroma is light hops and sweet malt.

Taste is sweet caramel malt, grain, and somewhat metallic. Finish is dry and bitter. Feel is light-medium body, clean and crisp. Carbonation is a bit high. Drinkability is decent. The metallic taste kinda kills it, though.

Not very good in my opinion. The taste is quite unpleasant.

2.38/5  rDev -31.2%

This beer needs to be poured properly for ANY flavor or smell to emerge. Otherwise, it tastes just like Saranac Amber. My first two made me very sad as I was expecting much, much more. On my third pour, I figured, what the hell, I might as well dump it into the glass. The difference was amazing. The Octoberfest flavors sort of came out, and the night was almost salvaged.

Saranac is my go to beer and they missed the mark with this offering. I hope that they revamp the recipe.

In addition, I sampled this at the Rochester Beer fest and at a local tasting. Still the same complaint, tastes like the Amber.

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A dead brown orangish brown color with a meer skim of a head. It looks flat and lifeless, however a thin and very short lived head can be seen. Aroma is light and not very active. One must really swirl this one to release the lightest fragerances. Fragerences that come out are fairly one sided sweet malts, not much else. Flavor is overly sweet and thin. Mouthfeel is very watery.

Saranac made a bad attempt at this one. Back to the drawing board.

2.51/5  rDev -27.5%

2.53/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

ok, seriously... how can anyone rate this beer above a "C"???
I bought a 6 pack fresh today for $5.99 in total wine and more in union. I was excited to try this beer after the Sam Adams Octoberfest I had last night.
There is no comparison.
THis beer is just plain bad.Everything about this beer (other than the price) is dissapointing. Very watery. The color, aroma, taste.. all not worthy.
Maybe I am not sure about the rating system here but C means average. Is this an above average beer?

2.54/5  rDev -26.6%

This was a clear amber beer with a one and a half finger head that dissipated rather quickly.

The aroma was VERY faint malt, with a mere wisp of roastedness. I expected more.

Taste was also very faint malt, no hop character.

Mouthfeel was just OK.

I wouldn't go back to this one. It was very humdrum.

2.55/5  rDev -26.3%

Appearance- This beer is sort of Orange/amber looking. It lacks in the head and lace department.

Smell- I was not fond of the smell. It was very bland in most areas I would expect to flourish in a Marzen. It was too yeasty and bread like to be honest.

Taste- It was more sour than bitter it was not bad but some what disappointing. There was a little hops flavor to begin with but it was faint. It is fairly sweet but not in the manner that it should be. It is sort of hard to explain.

Mouthfeel- Mainly watery.

Drinkability- This beer does not represent this style of beer well.

2.59/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Saranac Our Octoberfest German Style Lager from Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery