Saranac Pumpkin Ale | Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Added by JackStraw22 on 09-01-2005

Ratings: 1,174 |  Reviews: 437

1.46/5  rDev -57.7%

A horribly overspiced mess. Flavored way too heavily with nutmeg and allspice. It masks any favorable attribute to the brew. Terrible bitter aftertaste that lingers forever. A real disappointment. Not what I was expecting from a brewery that usually puts out a decent product.

1.49/5  rDev -56.8%

12oz bottle. drank straight from the bottle.

A - orange/amber color. lot's of carbonation, but i don't think it would have given the beer a head. (the color was noted as i was pouring it down the drain.)

S - pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger?, cloves, metal

T - very metal overly spicy pumpkin taste. the spices are the same as listed above. (this description of the taste is the best I could do as I did not want to keep this wretched liquid on my palate for any extended period of time....drainpour)

M - lots and lots of carbonation, which kind of made the beer seem more bitter.

D - awful. just awful. i LOVE pumpkin anything and I love spices, but this was an abomination to beer and to pumpkins everywhere.

1.5/5  rDev -56.5%

Poured into my favorite Pumking Goblet.

A - Nice looking amber orange appearance, with a tight foamy head that quickly dies down to a appealing ring.

S - Sharp on the nose with a hint of pumpkin. Almost a little sour. Not the kind of aroma that gets you excited to taste the beer.

T - My initial reaction was this is a not so good beer with some pumpkin flavorings. I'm not sure if the pumpkin flavor is just that or real pumpkins. The bottle suggests spices but I can't pick out any specifically.

M - This beer is on the thin side, watery in the mouth. After each mouthful the flavor leaves very quickly.

O - This is not a good pumpkin beer because it's not a good base beer. Adding pumpkin flavor to a bad beer just creates a bad pumpkin beer. I've not had any other offerings from Saranac, but I think these folks would be better off not brewing a pumpkin beer.

1.64/5  rDev -52.5%

1.74/5  rDev -49.6%

1.75/5  rDev -49.3%

1.75/5  rDev -49.3%

1.79/5  rDev -48.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

This will probably be the only Saranac beer I bother to rate, I've had almost all of them and regretted it every time. They're just not good beers. There is something amateur tasting in all of them, like a bad, stale yeast. This beer is particularly terrible. Way too thin, and I mean no body for an autumn brew. The pumpkin flavor is way too heavy and not pleasant in any way. All those autumn spice flavors are in there, and as I taste them I wish I had one of the German purity beers without all this junk in there.

1.87/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Just not a big fan of any of the beers from this company, there are tons better pumpkins on the market for the money, pass this one by

1.95/5  rDev -43.5%

I was excited to try this selection for the Halloween season. I was very disappointed. I poured bottle into a glass. I could not taste pumpkin or any other spices at all! It was as if I were drinking a bad Rolling Rock. Would not recommend this to my friends.

1.96/5  rDev -43.2%

1.98/5  rDev -42.6%

12 oz. bottle with a label that's black in color and with a grinning Jack O' Lantern. To the left of the Pumpkin is that bar code and Deposit and to the right of the Pumpkin is the Govt. warning. Information about the beer along with a picture of pint glass filled with beer can be found around the small neck label. No date can be found anywhere on the label. It's just an average simple non- threatening non-offensive Pumpkin Ale label. This makes for my very first Pumpkin Ale review.

Appearance: When poured into a Beck's American Pint glass, the beer was a dark chestnut brown color with a skim of white foam that just disappeared in front of my eyes and left maybe some white rings that lasted only few seconds and no lace around the glass.

Smell: The smell was that of very subtle spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice), hint of cloves, with a background of burned canned pumpkin. I really didn't care for the aroma in this beer. Not good.

Taste: Very little Pumpkin taste in this, if that. There were more spices like nutmeg and cinnamon then a pumpkin taste. The best way I can describe it is, if you make a pumpkin pie with all the spices with a pinch hops and then when it's done you remove the pumpkin. That's what this beer taste like. All you get a a touch of pumpkin. At least there was some pumpkin flavor to this beer.

Mouthfeel: It was very light, little carbonation, and with a slight aftertaste of spice and burnt hops. Not much going on after the light pumpkin taste goes down your throat.

Drinkability: Basically this beer was a lot like the label. It was non-offensive, non threatening, and very little was going on. What can I say, at least it's cheap. I couldn't commit to buying a six-pack and only bought a single. I'm glad I only got one bottle.

Saranac Pumpkin Ale from Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery