Saranac Irish Lager

Notes:
Reviews: 11 | Ratings: 34
3.14/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Look: It pours slightly dark gold and a white head. Head retention is poor.

Smell: The aroma is grainy sweet. There is a hint of toast and herbal hints.

Taste: The taste is grainy sweet with a touch of taste and herbs. The esters are quite fruity as well.

Feel: It has a moderately light body with a sweet finish.

Overall, this beer is most grainy sweet malts with everything else in the background.

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours orange red with a fluffy white head. Smells of light grain, slight corn sweetness. Tastes of very sweet grain, some corn jumps out. Beer is light bodied and very easy drinking, good carbonation, very smooth. Overall, an above average beer.

4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into schooner glass. A 1" white head falls quickly with just a hint of lacing. Color is deep golden with some streaming carbonation. Aroma is fairly subdued with grain, bread dough, and definite hop presence. Mouthfeel is light to medium and fairly crisp and dry. Flavors of crackers, lightly toasted bread, and grassy/herbal hops. Really enjoyed this brew.

3.57/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a beautiful crystal clear orangey Amber. The smell and taste are very mild. Bread and biscuits, there's a hint of a flowery sweetness, and a touch of bitter hops on the back end. It's a very effervescent brew, with lots of carbonation. Delicious, but nothing to write home about.

3.54/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

When I began going through the latest drop-off from my local, in-person trader @tone77 I saw that he had brought over several Saranac bottles & I became intrigued. So much so that when I was browsing one of the many singles shops in the area, I bought up all of the Saranac beers with an eye towards today - New Beer Saraunacday (Week 661). I am going to knock out the Lagers first & then move onto Ales as I am able over the course of the day.

From the bottle: "Fourth Generation Family Brewery"; "A pale lager with notes of toasty, biscuity, sweet malts and a touch of floral-herbal hops. Perfect for blending with our Irish-style Stout!"

There will be NO blending today, lads! I am simply drinking & reviewing new beers, this being among them. I began again with a Pop! of the cap, followed by an extremely slow, gentle pour. So slow & gentle in fact, that I nearly fell asleep. an in-glass swirl produced two fingers of foamy, fizzy, light-tan head with modest retention, slowly falling away to wisps in keeping with their slow appearance. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was slightly bready, certainly toasty and kind of biscuity, but definitely malt-driven. Mouthfeel was medium, big for a Lager. I allowed it to roll around on my tongue to both warm & to get the full effect of its maltiness. I found it to be right on the cusp of bready, becoming biscuity in terms of its malty sweetness, but at the same time, I also tasted a light floral-herbal spiciness, like hibiscus or rosemary. I read recently that carnations were once used in beer. I would be utterly curious to see how that might taste. Back to this beer. It was oddly semi-dry & I say "oddly" because their emphasis on malts on the neck label led me to expect something much sweeter. As it was, I enjoyed it much more than I would have had it turned out to be a malt bomb, but I still was not in love with it in its totality.

3.43/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a copper color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of bready malts. Taste is mild, some toasted malts, a hint of hops is present, light bread. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent and easy drinking beer.

3.71/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Purchased from a seasonal 12 pack still in date at 6.99. Poured an orange amber with an average head. Smells like a biscuity lager. So so lacing with some head retention. Where I am from Saranac gets a bum rap most of the time but for a straight up lager beer it is tasty and enjoyable. I am not a lager guy but it does taste bready and a little sweet. For a reasonably priced lager I have had far worst. It is a decent beer that I can find nothing bad to say about it. The price was right and I enjoyed it.

4.11/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours an burnt orange/ deep golden color with a plentiful head. Plenty of carbonation as well. The smell is definitely lager like, reminds me of some of the macro-brews. Initial taste is quite good, has some underlying spices to it but nothing overwhelming at all. The aftertaste is very mild as well. Has only slight lacing. Definitely a nice summer time brew that's really hitting the spot for me today.

Pours darker amber with a fat head of creamy foam. clear and has a few bubbles to watch. Nose is rich and biscuity. Light sweetness over top and a very earthy floral from hops. Drinks simply and crisply. The bubbles are big, soft and don't bite hard. That allows you to see the full expression of this very simple malt. Biscuity, smooth , creamy and lightly spiced with hops. Just a touch of sweetness in the finish to show you a gentle hop bite that lasts a little to reveal more toasty dry malt. As the beer warms you begin to notice the hops herbal and pepper. leafy tasting hops. I rated this according to the style vienna lager because that is what the brewer has on the label.

3.48/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear bronze color with a thick finger of white head that leaves heavy lacing.

Clean lager aroma with sweet, biscuity malts and light floral hops. Taste follows the nose at first, but has a slightly off-putting finish that's more malt-heavy than crisp. Stale hop aftertaste.

Medium bodied with strong carbonation.

3.03/5  rDev -13.4%

Pretty much gave this beer 3's all around. (except a notch up for feel). An average red lager.
Poured into beer glass with some minimal head and lacing. Aroma slightly earthy and malty , soft tone of caramel.
Mild amber color. Drinks smooth and tastes good, but nothing exceptional.

Saranac Irish Lager from Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery