Utica Club | Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery

saranac.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by IrishRedRock on 09-25-2002

4.75/5  rDev +75.3%

The Utica Club has a special membership base. If you are a member, then I don't need to say anymore. For those who aren't, read on.

UC is a tasty brew. A light lager with a decent head and a flavor best described as...deece.

As some other raters have written, The UC hearkens back to a bygone era, the era of our fathers and their fathers. A true poet put it thusly, "a Saturday afternoon lawn-mowing beer." Beautiful.

But because it will be a while before my generation reaches our Salad Years, my friends and I simply slam the Golden Nectar any chance we get. It's our way of connecting to the past and preparing for the future.

Drink up. Join the Club.

4.5/5  rDev +66.1%

4.5/5  rDev +66.1%

4.48/5  rDev +65.3%

Everyone I know usually my parents generation don't have anything good to say about UC. I love it. The history is rich and the beer is great. I'd take it over any big name beer any day!

4.38/5  rDev +61.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For what this is going for (porch beer, lawn mowing beer, picnic beer) this is great stuff.

4.3/5  rDev +58.7%

Following another BA's tip, I'm drinking this beer very cold. It pours out a nice and clean light gold. A pleasant foam appears, but disipates to lace in under forty-five seconds. A steady flow of tiny bubbles make there way toward the sky.

I like the smell. It's clean, sweet, and light. Perfect for hot summer days. Plus, it's got a bit of hoppy spice. Very nice.

As for taste, it's very good for this style. There's a lot of sweet toasty malt combined with fruity hops. The finish delivers sweet malt for a good while mixed with straight-up toasted grain. Once again, very nice.

Mouthfeel is quite crisp and big. The beer is very concentrated, but the astringent hops balance it out nicely. A perfect amount of carbonation also livens things up.

Overall, this beer is much better than I thought it was going to be. On all fronts I really liked it and would happily consume more. This beer was purchased straight from the brewery by a friend of mine, so the freshness may be part of the reason it was so good. Nonetheless, I must retract the idea that it's perfect for summer drinking. It's a little too complex and full bodied to properly hydrate a parched BA, but for in-door consumption, it's perfect.

4.25/5  rDev +56.8%

3.78/5  rDev +39.5%

My father turned me on to this beer. He and his brothers drank it.
Once I was old enough we would drink this together mostly on our visits to Adirondack State Park on camping trips.

It's definitely not a sophisticated beer by any means. Probably on par with many American Adjuncts, but it holds a special place in my heart.

I only drink this beer when I have the chance to camp in upstate New York. Nothing quite completes the experience of Lake Racquette without a twelve pack of Utica Club.

3.75/5  rDev +38.4%

3.75/5  rDev +38.4%

3.7/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #44 (Sep 2010):

Fizzy head, decent amount of lace though. Shiny yellow clarity. Dried grass, cooked veggies and a touch of apple skin in the nose. Dry mouthfeel with a bitty, almost fluffy light body. Clean palate, very clean. Grainy with dried grass, bread crust and cooked cereal flavors throughout. Hop bitterness is there to balance; not much flavor to account for. Cooked veggies and a mild mineral or salty hints in the dry finish. Super clean, with enough flavor to certainly rival many of the other Retro Lagers hyped these days.

3.7/5  rDev +36.5%

Takes me back to the good old days. This beer will give you a good buzz too. Very light and refreshing, good to do a shot of Jack with. Better on tap, but that is hard to find, except in Utica area. The head holds for a good time, and it looks good ijn the glass. Not a craft beer (at all), but much better that Bud, Miller and the rest of the pack. You can find it at Sam The Beer Man in Binghamton, NY.

3.65/5  rDev +34.7%

I believe this a very underappreciated beer. I was pleasantly surprised by it. My parents fondly recall a relative swearing by this stuff long before I was born. So when I got the chance to try it, I figured it was probably just a nostalgia thing that made family members talk so highly of it. But after trying it, I was impressed. It was quite smooth. Was not very bitter. Had a nice golden color to it. I could definitely see it being a very good beer to enjoy on a hot summer day.

3.65/5  rDev +34.7%

UC is the way to be baby! Call me a homer but this is usually my go to beer for a long night out back home in NY. It's normally a fraction of the price of other beers and is definitely the only one served in a can ( a can?...in a bar?...c'mon!). Compared to other macros this wins hands down. I would also take it 10 times out of 10 over a PBR. Drinks nice and smooth, though the carbonation in a little much.

3.63/5  rDev +33.9%

I tried this one at the American Legion. I had never even seen it before. I thought it was pretty good. I was like almost like a beer form one of the major brewers but not quite. I might be wrong but it seems like there maybe some adjuncts in there. All in all though I liked it.

Appearance- I thought it looked a little translucent to be a pilsner. It was very pale and clear. There was an average amount of foam in the head but not frothy.

Smell/Taste- I usually not categorize smell and taste together but they were about the same. It just seemed to me as there was something like corn or rice in there. I might be wrong as I said before. It wasn’t bad but something was different. Hops and malt were definitely present in the odor and flavor though.

Mouthfeel. Very light with a fair amount of carbonation.

Drinkability- My wife even liked this one. It has some good qualities.

3.59/5  rDev +32.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev +29.9%

3.5/5  rDev +29.2%

From the 12 fl. oz. can marked 2329-1346. Sampled on September 29, 2009. The pour is a golden yellow with a thin white head that diminishes in under one minute. The aroma is of sweet caramel and malts with a dash of hops. The mouthfeel is smooth like honey and of adequate quality. The flavor also emphasizes the sweet malty ingredient with some muted hops taking up the rear. This was not all that bad for a cheap beer. Gotta love the classics!

3.5/5  rDev +29.2%

Not really a fan but I can deal with it.

3.48/5  rDev +28.4%

Overview: a great, inexpensive canned session beer to drink when you are drinking more than one and you cannot bring glass bottles to your event.

Everyone needs a canned beer at the ready should you be invited to an event where glass bottles are forbidden (Deep-sea party boat fishing or the Saratoga Track) and when you plan to quaff several. Best drunk ice cold right out of the sweating can on hot summer days.

Referred to as "Uncle Charlie" hereabouts for decades, even tastes like it came right out the seventies - remember as teenagers when we used to steal our fathers' American Lagers and Pilsners? Like Schmidts or Schlitz or Carling Black Label or Tuborg Gold? This will instantly bring you right back there!

Referred to on its label as a "Pilsener/Lager" (BOTH?) it is very pale yellow with high carbonation and corn adjuncts. Clear, a bit watery, but with good water as its base. This is a non-nonsense tribute to the Americana beers of the 60's and 70's.

This is a friendly beer - I've made instant and good beer friends just by bringing this to the aforementioned events and/or by wearing my Utica Club t-shirt, especially when fishing.

The best of a vanishing breed - an inexpensive, refreshing canned American "Pilsener/Lager" beer found being passed out of coolers to friends at picnics.

Utica Club from Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery