Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Saranac White IPA | Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery

Added by StonedTrippin on 12-16-2011

2.76/5  rDev -25.6%

2.76/5  rDev -25.6%

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from the 330mL bottle into a pint glass.

The beer is a bright gold with just a slight hint of orange in there. A Bit hazy but with plenty of carbonation visible. Head is pure white, creamy, and sticks around for a really long time, just becoming slightly fizzier over time.

S: Overwhelmingly citrus. Orange peel especially, with hints of lemon and grapefruit in there as well. Some balancing bready malt in the back, but overall this is alike a big lemon tart or lemon cake. Actually pretty refreshing.

T: Starts off slightly sweet with a nice balance, but then takes a more hoppy turn. Finishes slightly bitter and drying with lots of citrus peel character.

Overal this beer is OK. Not something I'd actively seek out again but not something I'd be disappointed in seeing again either.

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Saranac White IPA brewed by Matt Brewing Company with an ABV of 6.0% This brew pours out a cloudy amber color with a small white head. This is an unfiltered brew you can not see thought it. The small is rich with wheat, sweetness, hops and other gains. There is nothing overpowering in smell of this brew. The taste is bitter but smooth. The bitterness is not overpowering in this brew, it is a nice touch. You pick up on some citrus brew but not much. The mouthfeel is an clean. Saranac White IPA has a nice balance to it. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would buy this brew again.

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

3.44/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Freshly tapped 1/6th keg my basement bar right next to my DFH 60 Minute IPA. I poured this White IPA into my Duvel Belgian Tulip glass, which is my favorite glass to sample new beers from.

Appearance: My initial thought was Wow!!, this is one cloudy looking beer. So cloudy that you can't see through the glass. Nice creamy-looking, off-white 3/4" head with clingy lacing as I tilt my glass.

Smell: Fruity, citrusy hoppy pine and grapefruit aromas. The citrus overtone is a bit more prevalent though. I'm excited to taste this one, as I enjoy the Belgian Witbier and IPA style right about the same.

Taste: Citrus fruits (orange, grapefruit and perhaps a hint of lemon) grab your attention first, followed by the mild hoppy bitterness you get from an IPA. A very good blend of both in my opinion. Equal amounts of the Belgian and IPA flair with the just the right amount of spices to remind you that you're drinking a Belgian Witbier hybrid beer.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy texture on the tongue from start to finish. Surprising for a beer of this style.

Overall: I could see myself drinking this all Spring and Summer. Very enjoyable beer from Saranac, who kind of drifted away from me in the craft beer market over the years. This beer will make me want to come back again, as this is one of their better beers I've had in many years. Like I said, a very cloudy beer, which at first I attributed to the initial pour from the keg. The second and third pour gave me the same cloudy results. Not in a bad way, but a little unexpected since this beer is a mixture of two equally distinct styles. If you like the Belgian Witbier & IPA style, this beer is definitely worthy of a try.

4.75/5  rDev +28%

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Saranac White IPA from Matt Brewing Company. Poured from the bottle into a glass, this brew's got a 3 finger thick head

I smell more of a neutral wheat-like brew kind of scent rather than IPA-like grapefruit or citrus.

Tastes like a dash of grapefruit, actually. The rest is reminds me of witbier. Good job fusing the two!

Mouthfeel is light and airy. Smooth all around.

Overall, a 3.75 for Saranac White IPA from Matt Brewing Company. I think they did a pretty good job with this fusion style of brew. Its not outRAGEOUSLY awesome,but I like it all the same. I'll probably pick this up again.

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%