Saranac Chocolate Orange | Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery

good
Read the review
Saranac Chocolate OrangeSaranac Chocolate Orange

Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery
New York, United States
saranac.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Saranac Chocolate Orange is a limited edition small batch brew from our "High Peaks" series, a line of beers that are bigger, more complex and flavorful. Brewed as a full bodied robust Baltic-style porter with five different hops and four different malts, this beer pushes the porter style to a new level.

We start with generous amounts of chocolate malt, and then add blood orange peel. In fermentation, the finest hand-selected, purest cacao nibs are added to enhance the chocolate malt flavor. Look for a dark chocolate roasted flavor finished off with a unique surprise from blood orange peel, making this an extra special treat!

Added by CloudStrife on 03-02-2012

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

2.58/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

The concept of this beer was the selling point. Chocolate and orange flavored beer sounded like a winner to my wife and I.

The aroma was not as advertised. With orange being the buzzword for me, I got none of it. I did get roasty/chocolate, but that was it. Halfway through my 1st beer, I was struggling to figure out what I tasted. I did get chocolate, but it wasn't meshing well with what I thought was supposed to be orange. Speaking of orange.. I couldn't find it all. I took a minute or two to let the beer warm up a bit.. hoping that would bring out more of the flavor(s). The delay didn't help, and I was informed by my better half, that I wasn't alone.

As for feel.. it was not bad, imperial-like smooth.

Overall, I think my beer tasting is par, or just over par (golf speaking).. but this left me scratching my head.

2.7/5  rDev -30.1%

2.91/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours almost black with a thin tan head. Excellent retention, and very nice lace. Aroma is of dark chocolate, and cocoa. Body is on the light side with some carbonation. Taste is of bitter dark chocolate. There is no hint of Orange. This is supposed to be a Baltic Porter? Not very good. This brewery continues to disappoint.

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

A: [3.50] Dark brown to black beer. Forms 1/2 finger of tan head. The head didn't form until late in the pur and it was gone right away (astonishingly fast). The bottle lists the ABV (9.0%). There is a date code which says this was made (09/21/15).

S: [3.00] Not sure I get orange. I am smelling caramel, dried cherries and hints of roasted malts.

T: [3.00] Similar to the nose but roasted malts up front. Then some cocoa and dried cherry flavor.

M: [3.00] Decent heft to the beer. Low carbonation gives added slickness to the body. The beer has a surprisingly bitter finish for a porter. It may be cocoa bitterness more than hop bitterness.

O: [3.00] Conceptually I like this idea but I am getting no orange flavor anywhere. The cocoa is coming through but it is muddied by the fruit (I am getting cherry) flavors. The bitter finish is kind of surprising for the style. I'd pass on this in the future.

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

3.17/5  rDev -17.9%

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a nearly pitch black color. The head is a finger high and mocha in shade. Its creaminess is nice, though the head's duration is lacking. Very little lacing is left on the glass. (3.75)

Smell: Chocolate comes through well, in a milky and almost earthen way. This note mixes very well with the powerful roasted malt presence. Despite what other reviewers are saying, I also get a touch of orange peel. Letting it open up will reveal some brown sugar and molasses. Fairly complex, too - good work, Saranac. (3.75)

Taste: The flavor doesn't work quite as well. It starts of with a dry, roasty flavor, reminiscent of baker's cocoa. This transitions into a gentle tartness - orange peel? The aforementioned orange peel does come through, but only very subtly. It finishes with an earthy note. I don't think it's very balanced; while there are some nice individual notes, they don't come together spectacularly. (3)

Mouthfeel: Its roasted presence makes it somewhat astringent post-swallow. Despite that, it manages to reasonably nail that stout holy grail of being creamy to start and dry to finish. Carbonation pricks the tongue slightly. (3.5)

Overall: Not a fantastic porter/stout, truth be told. It has a few good elements (I can pick up slight orange peel, for instance), but it doesn't really coalesce that well. On the other hand, I could see this aging quite well. Right now, it's worth a try, but not worth seeking out. (3.25)

3.33/5: Not bad, it just needs more cohesion

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Disappointing, expected more. Not a great taste or balance.

3.4/5  rDev -11.9%

3.41/5  rDev -11.7%

22 oz bottle poured into a Alesmith Horny Devil snifter.

A- pours a dark brown with a 2" dark brown head. Random big blotches of lacing remain on the glass.

S- Chocolate, orange peel, and some alcohol.

T- faint chocolate and roasted malts, and bitter orange peel.

M- Medium body and carbonation. Abv stands out some and effervescent at the finish.

O- Chocolate and orange isn't the first fruit/chocolate pairing that would come to mind. Beer is actually pretty good and has a nice bitter orange peel aroma and flavor. Worth a try but not sure I would have again.

3.42/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a very Boozy beer! I would think cellaring this would be great! I get chocolate, slight orange in the taste. But the alcohol overpowers most of the taste. Not very impressed. In a year or two of sitting mite be a really good beer.

3.43/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

First had: on tap at the Farmhouse, Burlington, VT

Half pour (thankfully) served in a 6oz. wine glass, deep, dark brown-black color, capped with a nice foamy mocha head. Aroma of roasty dark malts, coffee notes, probably about robust enough to be a stout. Taste of dark malts, roasty, cocoa, with a hint of citrus and pine in the finish, and a ubiquitous booziness throughout. I got more booze than anything in this one really, and it detracted from the mouthfeel quite a bit. Body is no more than middle-of-the-road medium, leaving no doubt that this is no stout, low carbonation, which was good considering it wasn't very smooth otherwise. Pretty decent overall, but I wouldn't want any more than the sample I had.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%