Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Wanted: Joaquin Murrieta Chile Pepper Beer | Sequoia Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews
Wanted: Joaquin Murrieta Chile Pepper BeerWanted: Joaquin Murrieta Chile Pepper Beer

Sequoia Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

Brewed with Fresno Chile Peppers.

Added by DovaliHops on 05-04-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 9 | Ratings: 27
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

2.9/5  rDev -11.3%

This beer pours a clear light yellow color, with a tiny white head. What little head there is fades slowly, leaving a good lace.

This beer has a grainy aroma. I can detect a dried pepper aroma as well. Not much else.

This beer tastes like pepper. It is actually a bit more spicy than other chili beers I have had. It makes my lips burn just a little. Behind the heat, I taste a slight sweetness. Nothing else. The peppers overpower any other flavors.

This beer warms as it goes down. That would be the pepper. It is spicy to the end. Carbonation is good.

This beer wouldnt make a good session beer. It is too spicy. It took me awhile to finish it.

Overall: This beer was a bit more spicy than other beers I have had of the same style. I didnt like it. Some spice is good, but this one was overpowering in my opinion. I will not drink it again.

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.4/5  rDev +34.6%

Had this while camping in Yosemite for my honeymoon. Bottle to camp mug, pours a light gold, smells like fresh sliced peppers. The thin head dissipates into nice lace around the top. Flavor is straight up chilies, but not overly spicy, in fact, its just perfect for my taste. I have had many pepper beers seeing as how i live so close to BP in San Diego. I have had a Habanero Sculpin that had almost no pepper taste and was disappointing, and had a habanero piper down that i couldn't get down! But this beer has a small amount of heat and full pepper flavor. If you like peppers and spice, grab this beer. If you cant handle even a little heat, be warned.

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

2.4/5  rDev -26.6%

Not sure what to say about this one. It's probably a very good example of a style that I just don't like at all.

Poured from a chilled 22 oz bottle into a pub glass. I tilted the glass and poured maybe three ounces in before something seemed funny and I lifted the glass straight up to look at it.

All three ounces had turned to two inches of foam. No liquid on the bottom. Weird.

Carefully and slowly poured the glass full. The two inch head lasted forever and smelled like hotsauce without the vinegar. Eventually I scooped out most of the head with a spoon so I could try the beer. All I tasted was hot chili. Feel was like a light lager. Lotsa danged heat.

I hate to use the word hate, but I hated this. Not my thing. If it's yours, it's probably awesome.

3.5/5  rDev +7%

1.75/5  rDev -46.5%

On-tap at the brewpub. Pint glass.

A: Served a dark amber color with a thin white film of a head.
S: Spicy peppery dominate the nose followed by faint notes of pale grainy malt. Peppery are fresh smelling as opposed to roasted.
T: Burning spicy pepper heat over a clean pale lager base. Pale malts poke through near the finish but the aftertaste has a long lingering chili burn.
M: Medium body, fizzy carbonation, clean and drinkable mouthfeel, but definitely a chore to drink.
O: If you like heat in your beverage then this is the beer for you. Not as drinkable or as complex as other chili beers I've had, but a good example of a spicy lager.

4.77/5  rDev +45.9%

I've had this beer on tap and in the bomber many times. It's one of my favorite beers. This beer on tap has a slightly crisper feel and has a little more chile heat than the bottle. The chili bite mellows out a little in the bottle. I've tasted chili beers that were too spicy , but this one has just the right amount for me. Most other people that I know that tried it thought it was too hot, so avoid this one if you don't like your chilis really hot. If you like it hot, pair this with your favorite Mexican food. IT'S AMAZING!

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.25/5  rDev +30%

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

3.66/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bomber poured into an imperial tulip pint. Hazy dark straw body with a massive fizzy and foamy off-white head. The head quickly settles to a light crown with no lacing.

Aroma is massively peppers. The description says Serrano, Fresno, Habanero, and Jalapeño; one can pick out all of these individually. Any malts, hops, or yeast in the aroma are instantly overpowered, aside from a faint, light, generic graininess.

The haziness suggests some wheat content, but I definitely can neither smell nor taste it. Pale malts and a slight earthiness underneath the peppers, which are still dominant but not as overpowering as in the nose.

Crisp, reasonably carbonated light-medium mouthfeel which helps cut the spice a bit.

I enjoy the peppers/spice in this beer, but it is overpowering enough to completely crush any other flavors. The multiple types of peppers give it a little complexity which is definitely appreciated. It's hot, but not to the point of undrinkabilitiy. Overall, it's a decent chili beer, but it falls just a little short. It's worth a shot if you're a fan of the style or have adventurous tastes, but a lot of beer drinkers would probably be turned off.

4.5/5  rDev +37.6%

great Chile beer I've tried.

right amount of Chile and hop.

ended up being my favorite beer.

its organic imported wheat non genetically modified.

looking forward to trying it on tap.

smells spicy and makes your mouth water if you like spicy stuff and chasing it down with a nice cold beer.

had my favorite chili mixed with my favorite drink heck yes best combo ever

1.75/5  rDev -46.5%

2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Wanted: Joaquin Murrieta Chile Pepper Beer from Sequoia Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.