Blonde Lager | Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by TastyTaste on 09-21-2004

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

2.18/5  rDev -35.1%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Somewhat cloudy yellow coloring with just a little bit of head.

S- Very grainy, yeast like malt scent. Can't really detect any hops in the smell.

T- Extremely grainy, yeast like taste. Slight bitterness. Very macro like taste.

M- Light, watery feel with just a very slight bitterness to it.

D- The taste isn't good enough for me to want a second one. It's not the worst beer in the world, but not good enough for me to want a second.

Overall this seems like an attempt by Rahr's to attract macro drinkers to their brewery because it tastes a lot like I'm drinking a macro.

3.05/5  rDev -9.2%

Rahr & Sons Blonde pours to a pale straw color. The body of the beer is clear and the nose is crisp, combining pale malt with light grassy/earthy notes and biscuits. The foam isn’t too bad at first, but it doesn’t last very long and leaves little or no lacing.

Rahr & Sons Blonde has a bread- like flavor with some apple fruit notes up front, followed by the taste of light spice in the finish. The taste is sweet overall, but has just enough bitterness and light spice in the flavor profile to keep it from going overboard in the sweetness category.

This beer is certainly a drinkable one and it offers a good deal of crisp, clean, sweet malt to make it drinkable and acceptable to most. The body of the beer is a little thin, but I still find it good and its lightness makes it nice for the hot days of summer.

Overall, a good effort from Rahr & Sons and one I wouldn’t turn down if it was offered to me. It doesn’t blow you away, but it is quaffable and good as a session beer.

3.51/5  rDev +4.5%

3.41/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours an unfiltered straw/golden color and has a good sized head.
Smells different, like a bit of a light American hefeweizen.
Tastes like citrus to me, must be the hops. It is unfiltered to appearance, unless I got a bad bottle. Tastes pretty good though!

Next to try the black lager. This beer is nice and I would drink it again.

2.13/5  rDev -36.6%

A pale beer with a thin white head. Has a musky, skunky smell. A really dry beer with a papery, cardboard taste. Otherwise really plain. Aftertaste does not linger too long so it is not unbearable. Texas has a lot better blonde ales to offer such as Bombshell and Fireman's #4.

4.21/5  rDev +25.3%

The first thing that stands out about this beer is its appearance. It is a lovely crystal clear glowing shiny gold with big fat carbonation bubbles slowly making their way to the top. The head leaves something to be desired but it is a very pretty beer none the less. I get only faint sweet grain aromas.

This is a delicous and refreshing beer that blalnces a robust grain sweetness with restrained hop bitter carried by a slight grain astringency. Occasionally I get subtle fruit notes (strawberry?) but really its the grain that does the talking in this beer and thats a good thing.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy but firmly carbonated. Special.

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

3.54/5  rDev +5.4%

The appearance might be the best part of this Helles. Its pale golden liquid is filled with lively bubbles cascading to the the bright long lasting white head.

The aroma is grainy with a very light hint ot noble hops. The aroma is clean with absolutely no off odors.

The flavor is very well balanced. It starts with a very mild sweetness and finishes with a hop bite on the sides of the tongue. It is very refreshing and clean but maybe too balanced for my taste.

The mouthfeel is light and the carbonation pings the roof of my mouth.

This is a very nice session beer. It could stand more maltiness in the aroma and taste. Maybe a little too hoppy to be a traditional Helles but quite drinkable.

I'm currently out of the Bay area and on a work trip in Dallas, TX so I have been looking for some reasonably priced decent craft beer to sate my thirst. Downtown Dallas is full of cheap corner stores selling every variation of ice and malt liquor but alas other than Shiner Bock it's hard to find decent beer here. I finally found a restaurant with a decent beer selection on tap. Thanks to Hofbrau restaurant in the west end for the pour.

I had the the Rahr Blonde lager poured into a 16 oz. glass and watched as a straw gold coloured boldly carbonated lager filled the glass to brim. A foamy head forms. I'll be honest the color sort of looks like Budweiser. Oh well. It looks thirst quenching. Before I satisfy my thirst I proceed to smell the beer and am touched by mild grassy notes, hints of hay and earth. I also get floral tones from this beer. This part is pretty pleasant. There are some aspects of the beer that I can't tolerate as much. There is a potent sour character to the beer. I also detect apples, pear, and white wine.

The beer taste fine. Not great by any means but it's a git er done Texan sort of beer. The mix is hoppy, bitter and sweet. The malts are pale. It sort of taste like an amped up Budweiser. I actually like Budweiser so that isn't a problem but this is craft brew folks. I hope this isn't there best offering.

The mouthfeel is expected. It's slightly watery but retains a crisp edge. I'd say the malt to hop ratio is 70/30. I also taste some generic barley malt.

Overall: This beer simply isn't worth the time to try and get. It is hard enough finding good beer down here. You might as well crack a budweiser and accept the hegemony of BMC. Or if you want something darker go for the Shiner Bock.

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Yellow pour on tap with a decent white head. Hint of macro skunk in the aromas. Fortunately not present in the flavor, which consists of a bit of lemon, a touch of biscuity malt and bit of bitterness in the finish. Not bad but nothing to write home about. Light mouthfeel, appropriate for the style. An easy beer to drink , certainly an acceptable summer choice, but not anything I'd go too far out of my way to get.

3.27/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.17/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: This beer has a golden pilsner look with a tall white head that disapates rapidly, till it gets about a quarter inch tall then slows down to maintain a white ring around my glass. Lots of beading inside with no laceing to be found.

Smell: The smell is grassy hops,hay aromas present a slight stench to this one,a bready yeast and even medicinal.

Taste: The barnyard flavors are definitely present. A hay and grass hop character,mildly sweet malt,also an adjuct corn quaff is noted as well.Not bad just not over zealous about this one.

Mouthfeel: This beer is medium to thin bodied,low to medium carbonation,smooth and easy to drink.

Drinkability: This wasn't that bad,it just didn't have that buy me again factor.I would not recommend this beer.

Cheers2Beers

4.07/5  rDev +21.1%

Just purchased a sixer of this tonight. Poured one into a glass, and I was very pleasantly surprised by the full golden lager appearence. The only downside was the beer left little lacing as it was consumed.

Took a sniff of the beer, it was also very good and full of hops. The first sip made me think of the classic German helles lagers I tried just last week while visiting Munich. The beer has a very nice full flavor to it for the style, the only real difference being that it's not quite as sweet as some of the other lagers of the style. The mouthfeel is not watery, but also not too heavy.

Although I have lived in Texas for a few years, this is my first time to try this beer. I am pleasantly suprised by it as I was honestly just expecting another lager. This is a great session brew and would also go very well with a variety of types of food.

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

4.2/5  rDev +25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my first review in a two-review series entitled "A Tale of Two Blondes."

The Rahr Blonde Lager pours a dark yellow bordering on a light orange...a little darker than I would have imagined. The head was moderate. The beer looks good...and intriguing given the color.

The aroma is sweet and malty although not overpowering at any level. The real surprise here is the taste. This is a very flavorful beer...not too sweet but with enough malty goodness to blend effortlessly with the faint hops. This is one that could become a session beer for me.

Blonde Lager from Rahr & Sons Brewing Company