Ugly Pug Black Lager | Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Texas, United States
rahrbrewing.com

Style: Schwarzbier

Added by assurbanipaul on 12-18-2004

Almost like a sweet, richer shiner bock

One of my all time favorites. Glad to find it at Gumbo Bar in Galveston!

4.92/5  rDev +35.5%

4.82/5  rDev +32.8%

Review is optional but now it is telling me I have to write one. Well my husband and I are Guinness fans and this reminds me of that beer but little bit lighter.

4.58/5  rDev +26.2%

Reviewed 3/13/2009 (Bottle):

Pours a dark brown black color body, with a tannish, creamy looking head, okay sized and somewhat lasting. Dark roasty malty aroma, some coffee. A little skunkiness. Some fruitiness too. Enticing. Creamy mouthfeel, light fruitiness, like a hefe, some banana. Not as stouty as I was expecting. Very tasty.

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +24%

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Good black beer. Smell and flavor are there. Just a little weak on the creaminess.

4.43/5  rDev +22%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very dark red color. Aroma if clean with hints of roasted malts. Flavor is mild and smooth with roasted malt and hints of chocolate, isn't overpowered by the roasted malt like most dark (almost black) beers are. The body is on the light, but not watery, and is oddly refreshing. Overall an amazing beer, and I was extremely shocked. Usually I tend to like my lagers on the lighter side (pilsners, helles lagers).

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smooth, one of if not the best black lager I have had.

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet...one of my all time favs from Rahr. Had on tap at the brewery and out of the bottle but I'll review the on-tap version.

A: Pours black with very little light coming through. A big dark brown head slowly fades to a small layer and leaves a ton of lacing.

S: The nose is full of cocoa, chocolate malts, coffee, and a slight sweetness.

T: The taste is excellent with a big dose of chocolate and coffee with a malty sweetness and a slightly roasty/bitter finish.

M: The feel is creamy and smooth...very porter-ish.

D: This is one of the most drinkable dark beers I've had. The ABV is incredibly low for a beer with this much flavor. I sat and drank 4 or 5 of these during the big game on Sunday and wasn't even phased.

This is very close to being a porter...if it was a tad darker I'd say it was. If you can find it on tap it's excellent...the bottle falls a bit short of this score in the mouthfeel department but it's still good.

Ugly Pug Black Lager from Rahr & Sons Brewing Company