Ugly Pug Black Lager | Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

rahrbrewing.com

Style: Schwarzbier

Added by assurbanipaul on 12-18-2004

3.41/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I was kind of excited to try this beer after a couple of acquaintances recommended it to me, and while it was alright, I wouldn't drink this as a sipping beer; I probably expected a little too much.

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass, the amount of foam in this beer was almost too much; almost every bottle in my six pack actually foamed up out of the neck of the bottle if I didn't pour it immediately. It foamed up quite well with even a gentle pour, leaving about two and a half fingers of creamy, light tan head that dissipated very slowly. The head lasted so long that I can't give you a description of the lacing, since I was sucking on foam the whole time. The color of the beer was pretty nice, a very dark brown that when held up to the light produced a dark reddish amber.

The aroma was pleasant, though I have smelled better. My nose isn't quite as sensitive as some, so please forgive me if I leave out some things you may have noticed. The toasted grain was readily apparent, and also there were hints of strong coffee and a little bit of earth, though it was toned way down. The malty sweetness was the most prominent, but not overpowering, and there was a small suggestion of hop aroma, but very subdued.

The taste is creamy, with burnt toast, malt and a hint of hops at the front, also with some faint mineral flavor. It fades rather quickly after swallowing to some sticky sweetness with a little bit of dark chocolate. The mouthfeel is very light, typical of a lager, though I feel it could have been a little bit heavier and it would have satisfied me quite well. It's refreshing and something I could drink after a hot summer's day, but probably not something I would buy on the regular, though if I had the opportunity to try it on-tap I would probably bump my score up a little bit. As far as Texas beers go, however, this isn't bad at all.

3.41/5  rDev -5.5%

This beer was a deep clear black with a nice malty nose. I was sitting next to a smoker so that limited the fragrance.

This beer was not as malty as I would expect but had more hop bite than what one would expect in the style. When I had this beer at the brewery, it had much more malt and far less hops.

The mouthfeel was medium and smooth.

Overall, this beer showed no off aromas or tastes. I will try this again and probably edit this review. When drinking it at the brewery, it was my favorite from Rahr. At the Flying Saucer tonight, it left me a little less enthusiastic. I guess this means I will be forced to go drink it free at Rahr Brewery on Saturday.

3.42/5  rDev -5.3%

On tap at Hoffbrau Steaks in Dallas TX.

Big pint glass! Everything is big in Texas! A very dark brown with a small brownish head. Low hop profile but right on for style. Leaves a nice slightly bitter after taste. That's really the best part of this brew. It is somewhat watery but is a great beer to drink with my burger.

Glad I was able to try one from Rahr & Sons. Wished I could have had their scotch ale!

3.43/5  rDev -5%

Bottle courtesy of jenray. Thanks Jen!

It looks pretty schwartz to me with a 1 finger of just barely off white foam. Some nice lacing accompanies at least early in the session.

Slight notes of roast, some dark chocolate, and a rather prominent smell that you normally get in an American adjunct lager...corn.

The taste is on the sweet side. I'm getting notes of some milk chocolate, corn, very light coffee, a light hint of a citrus spritz, and a milder, very milder, note of corn than in the nose. Not a bad brew and oh, a bit of smoke when I swish the beer in my mouth.

This is light bodied with fairly light carbonation. A generally thinnish mouth feel.

Drinkability is better than I expected when I added up the scorecard. I'm happy with this brew.

3.43/5  rDev -5%

12oz bottle into a Delirium tremens snifter.

Ugly Pug isn't ugly at all! In fact, the nearly opaque, sepia & seal brown body is quite attractive beneath an inch of well-retained, custard/tan foam. One of the darkest, best-looking Schwarzbiers I've had. Aroma is solid, too, and the malty layers reminds me of peanut butter and chocolate (think Reeses' Peanut Butter Cup cereal), while the hops smell of peat and earth.

Things go a bit downhill in the taste department, as a blandish roasted malt presence tries its hardest to suggest powdered cocoa, but really only attains a slight caramel biscuit note. Not much in the way of hops, either, and the overzealous carbonation level and dry finish kill off much of the crispness and refreshing qualities for which the style is known. Still, Ugly Pug is a nice interpretation of a Schwarzbier from Rahr & Sons, and one I could see myself having again.

3.44/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours cola-like with a lot of foam that doesn’t dies down. Impressive appearance, but that’s the extent of it. Not much on the nose. There’s very little roast but a lot of lingering maltiness. A bit of an unwelcome sour bite. Cloyingly sweet. Thin bodied, which makes it drinkable. Dial up the viscosity and I’d call it a good sipper if I was in the mood for something after dinner. I can see why this is a favorite for some but it just doesn’t work for me.

3.45/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.47/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-dark brown color with a light tan head and good lacing

S-light roasted malt, hint of brown sugar

T-roasted malt, brown sugar, earthy, mild bitter finish

F-light to medium body with modearte carbonation, crisp

O-easy drinking lager, not a great range of flavors, but better than adjunct lagers

3.48/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz. bottle compliments of MUSHROOMCLOUD.

Pours a clear dark chestnut brown - not quite black. Has a very thin head that fades. Spotty lacing.

Aroma is very light. Some roasted and caramel malt aroma with just a hint of chocolate. It has a porter-like aroma, but very clean and crisp.

Taste matches the aroma. Very light flavor of roasted malts with some caramel and chocolate. Very clean and dry.

Body is thin, light carbonation.

Very drinkable with a nice taste. Could use just a bit more body.

3.48/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Like Shiner, but bitter

3.48/5  rDev -3.6%

i must say a good surprise of dark dark lager with a nice head. smell is just mild chocolate. palate is that of schwarzbier but quite thin, as expected, but didn't allow for much latitude. the beer tasted earthy... and chocolaty... mild bitter and washes thin. not much else. no fruit. and not particularly overly sweet which was a plus.

3.49/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Ugly Pug Black Lager from Rahr & Sons Brewing Company