Ugly Pug Black Lager

Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Ugly Pug Black LagerUgly Pug Black Lager
Notes:
firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
Reviews: 182 | Ratings: 532
4.04/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours dark ,almost black, with some amber hues. About an inch of creamy head subsides rather quickly.
An aroma of coffee and roasted malt..
When tasting, the roasted malt and coffee continue through a slightly bitter finish. I really enjoy the aftertaste.
The dark beer has a light body, quite carbonated that goes down well.
I really enjoyed this beer and will definately have another.

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

This black lager had a clean blackish-brown color with a cream colored head that disapates not long after poured.

The smell is slightly roasted with a hint of cold coffee. Has a smoothe mouth feel with a little bite on the way down.

A lot of malt/oaty taste with a bit of sweetness like a porter or oatmeal stout but not as heavy. Light bitter finish with a pleasnt aftertaste.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours out a ruby-tinted brown with a slight off-white head. Aroma is lightly roasted. Taste is a mix of roasted, coffeeish graininess and pleasant bitterness. Finishes dry and quite clean. Moderate body and medium carbonation. I've enjoyed this beer more on draught, but never tooks notes. In the bottle, it's a fairly ordinary dark beer.

Pours a dark brown mahogany color with a short tan head that fades into a creamy lace. Nose is dominated by roasted coffee beans with some fainter notes of dark cherries in the background. Taste begins with roasted malts and fresh espresso followed by notes of bitter burnt coffee and spicy hops. The bitterness remains in a lingering aftertaste. A pretty interesting beer and another winner from the boys in Fort Worth.

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

Served on tap at the Bluebonnet Brewoff ’05. A hard plastic cup.
Aroma: My sample was a touch cold, but I noted a slightly (what I call) dusty porter smell.
Appearance: Deep brown almost black with some clarity noted at the corners of the glass. Nice off white head left tide marks even with the small sample.
Flavor: Fair balance with a sweet side, some mild mineral flavors (which I find a touch overbearing in the blonde and red) that were at a nice level. Almost more of an oatmeal stout than a porter taste, I wouldn’t have picked Schwarzbier, but then again, I haven’t had many to compare it to. It did have a slight sour edge.
Mouthfeel: Rich texture with a medium-light body, good carbonation.
Overall Impression: Very tasty! Rich dark flavors, nice looks, I think we have a winner! I seem to enjoy Rahr & Sons beers more on tap than in the bottle, and I think it is that “mineral” taste. It seems appropriate to some German styles; I just find it slightly distracting. The Pug seems to have only hints, or the tastes covered it a bit more. Either way; my favorite beer from this new Texas brewery!
Recommended!

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

This beer was a deep clear black with a nice malty nose. I was sitting next to a smoker so that limited the fragrance.

This beer was not as malty as I would expect but had more hop bite than what one would expect in the style. When I had this beer at the brewery, it had much more malt and far less hops.

The mouthfeel was medium and smooth.

Overall, this beer showed no off aromas or tastes. I will try this again and probably edit this review. When drinking it at the brewery, it was my favorite from Rahr. At the Flying Saucer tonight, it left me a little less enthusiastic. I guess this means I will be forced to go drink it free at Rahr Brewery on Saturday.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Served at the brewery before being released to bars. Poured black and thin with a medium head that settled into a foam ring around the edges. Nose of mild dark malt flavors, some unsweetened coffee.

Taste is dark-roast malt without the heft or creaminess of a stout. Bitter roasted coffee flavors, dry, almost no sweetness whatsoever. Lingering aftertaste, not entirely unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is light, slightly acidic and biting. Leaves just a touch of stickiness on the lips and tongue. Easy to drink, very true to style.

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last