Summertime Wheat | Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Style: Hefeweizen

Availability: Summer

Added by assurbanipaul on 07-08-2006

2.06/5  rDev -43.3%

Pours light gold with short lived white head. Smell is just like every other hefeweizen with the clovey spiced smell. Taste however is actually quite unique, but not in a great way. Taste is sweet, watery, and bright lemony, with very low carbonation and almost no bitterness. Thin and watery, with a bit of clove taste, but not as strong as many hefeweizens. This is a different hef for sure. I'm not a fan of the style, but this may be worth trying just in that it is unique...Tastes like what I expect a bad homebrewed hef would be like.

2.16/5  rDev -40.5%

Honestly my first experience with this was bad. A couple of days later I went in for another try. Same results.

The super-clovey smell, to me, is a huge turnoff. Appearance was fine, M and D were average, I just didn't like the smell and flavor. Almost has a home brew gone-bad kinda flavor. I really wanted to like this one because it is a local for me. Too bad.

2.25/5  rDev -38%

2.34/5  rDev -35.5%

Clear golden color with floaties and miniscule head. (The floaties appear to be the only evidence that this clear brew is unfiltered.)

Faint banana with yeast and spice.

Tastes like a watered down Hefe-weizen.

Feels like drinking water... this is way too light, not one that I will be buying again.

2.48/5  rDev -31.7%

I'm not big on wheat beers, but this one is decent. It's all around moderate, but it is better than most wheat beers. Tastes the best when out by the pool or on the lake, when it's hot outside. But there are better beers out there and this one isn't memorable, at least for me it wasn't.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

2.54/5  rDev -30%

A - Clear dull gold color with tiny bit of white head and no lacing

S - Banana,cloves, and wheat

T - Kind of bland malty taste with some wheat mixed in

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - I'd pass on this one, while not the worse hefeweizen I've ever had it is towards the bottom

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

This beer was sent to me by my good buddy TTU94 from big D in Texas.

First of all, love the story behind the brewery. The beer however is not quite there if your talking true Bavarian Wheat Ale.

The color is spot on and got me a bit excited as I poured into my pint glass. The head was thin and dissipated rapidly with no lacing to speak of.

The smell had the Bavarian standard of banana and cloves, but was a bit on the light side.

The taste however is where I felt the beer has some room for improvement. The overall qualities of a Bavarian Wheat are present but they are all in minimal quantities. Comparing to other Bavarian Wheats, I would have to say that it is slightly below average.

Having said that, I still liked it enough that I could see myself in Dallas in a few weeks with TTU94 drinking a case or two.

Just so you don't think I'm bashing a Texas beer, I graduated from Tech. Go Big Red!

2.72/5  rDev -25.1%

Reviewed 8/24/2007 (bottle):

Pours a humungous white foamy head, with good lacing. Body is golden cloudy, light yellow in color, fizzy. Has a very malty aroma, but very light, not too strong. Has a malty sweet taste. Light, straw, maybe clove. Alright but watery, weakish.

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

2.82/5  rDev -22.3%

From a brown 12oz bottle - Pours a cloudy light pale color with almost no head and well below average carbonation. Smells of floral hops and very light malts. First sip is sweet and perfumy like with a very light malt backbone. Very light bodied, lightly hopped. Somewhat under carbonated. Bitter finish.

2.99/5  rDev -17.6%

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Summertime Wheat from Rahr & Sons Brewing Company