Stormcloud IPA | Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Texas, United States
rahrbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by beerdiablo on 03-11-2007

Taster at Dallas Ft Worth airport...

1.5/5  rDev -55.1%

1.85/5  rDev -44.6%

1.94/5  rDev -41.9%

1.96/5  rDev -41.3%

I am trying to get into this beer but I keep getting a large red flashing sign that does not read "Don't Panic" - instead it insists:

DIACETYL

I just start to enjoy some interesting herbacious or citrus notes when that buttery demon stomps on everything. The malt bill seems pretty straightforward and the hops are doing their best to lend an interesting counterpoint but ... Agh. I just cannot get past this butter-bomb of a beer. Someone else notes butterscotch - that's the diacetyl for sure and to me it is overwhelming. A flawed execution of an interesting idea.

1.96/5  rDev -41.3%

Almost no head formed on top of this beer. And once it was there, it vanished. The beer is surprisingly light on color. A bright yellow gold. A fair amount of visible carbonation is present. No lacing to be seen anywhere.

The aroma was actually terrible. Wet cardboard and sweet. Not a hop aroma to be detected.

So far, doesn't look like and IPA nor smells like one. Here goes...

Wow, I think we have an official worst, IPA I've had in quite some time. It tastes light, sweet and mineral like. The sweetness is way too much. There is a flat bitterness towards the end.

Mouth feel is light and watery. This is really a macro beer with a tiny bit more hops.

It reminds me of Busch.... Just a sweet mess.

This is really not an IPA by any stretch of the imagination. To say that this is supposed to be the same as Blind Pig or Smuttynose Finest Kind is a joke.

How did this score higher than their Ocktoberfest?

1.98/5  rDev -40.7%

fresh bottle...
NOTHING on the nose. when I say nothing, I mean nothing.. IPA is supposed to have some hops on the nose. shove this under my face, blindfold me, and I dont know a beer is in front of me. it is THAT absent and lacking.

taste... well... kinda tastes like it smells. nothing. While I am excited that Rahr put out a beer that is over 5% (can tell because the label actually says Ale rather than beer) this is a real failure. I can see what they are trying to do here, make a beer that the mass oblivious texans would buy in place of the BMC products, but for someone that likes beer, dont buy it.

2.27/5  rDev -32%

I was excited to see an IPA from Rahr butÂ….it was a little let down. Pours very light with a decent head that disapates quickly. Very light aroma of citrus and hops. Has promise then the first sip comesÂ… interesting. At first the hops come at you then you get something like butter? Yeah, odd. The website calls this a "German IPA" whatever that maybe but this is an off attempt at the style. Draft is better from what I remember. I like the hops but finishes just a bit diff. Maybe it will get better with time since this is their first shot at the style. Also hoping it was a bad bottle.

2.27/5  rDev -32%

Thanks to slimchill for the extra.

Poured into tulip. Clear and light orange with a hugh fluffy white head. Nice sticky lacing. Looks the part.

Not much going on in the nose. Some grass and subtle citrus. Malt doesn't contribute much.

Taste follows the nose. Where did the hops go? Taste more like a weak pale ale. There's a generic bitterness with some subtle malt sweetness. The flavors aren't gross, there just not there.

Mouthfeel is very thin. Good carbonation.

Overall I was left wanting. With a low abv I guess you could call it a session IPA. This was my second beer from Rahr and Sons and so far I'm still looking for a winner.

2.3/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Stormcloud IPA is a German Style IPA? Alright, I'll give them some creativity points.

The beer however, is below average from the thin light golden color to the mild hoppy aroma to the almost not existent IPA taste.

I didn't get it. Not a bad tasting beer but not an IPA and not really worth your time. The beer was named after the stormclouds on a sea voyage....perhaps as they wallowed...in a Sea of Sorrow.

See ya in Munich, October 2007. Prosit!

2.35/5  rDev -29.6%

2.43/5  rDev -27.2%

Thanks to jasonjlewis for this extra.

12oz. brown bottle poured into a pint. No dating.

Bottle says German style IPA, not American IPA

A: Certainly doesn't pour like an American IPA. Pours a dark shade of yellow with lots of visibility. 1 finger of head forms and dies within 30 seconds to some chunks on the surface. Some lacing. Millions of bubbles running all around and some even clinking to the sides on the way up.

S: Smells like a European IPA. Big floral notes dominate instead of mostly citrus and it has plenty of yeastiness. Malts don't let off any sweetness, instead a dull bread/grain.

T/M: Very very yeasty. Malts taste a bit like banana bread. Hops have an earthy, floral taste. No bitterness, nothing that I'd call juicy. Body is pretty light and carbonation is extremely high.

D: Just pretty bland and uninspiring.

2.5/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Stormcloud IPA from Rahr & Sons Brewing Company