Oktoberfest | Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Added by TexIndy on 08-16-2007

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 43 | Ratings: 165
2.91/5  rDev -8.8%

First had: ? (I believe on tap at Casey's, Newtown Square, PA)

Poured a clear bronze color with a short-lived white head. Pretty basic aroma and taste, with mild, toasty malts going on and not too much else. Not terrible, but pretty bland and uninteresting. Medium mouthfeel, can seem a little watery at times, but still somewhat drinkable if you're not feeling too adventurous.

2.8/5  rDev -12.2%

A: Pours a clear copper red color. A one finger white head forms, and recedes in a second. Light lace is left behind.
S: Sweet malt, some sweet caramel/toffee aromas. Nothing else.
T: Again, sweet malty flavors that are pretty generic. Caramel, maybe toffee depending on how you decipher if. Nothing else. Fairly bland and neutral.
M/D: A light to medium body. Fairly smooth. Not hard to drink, just nothing I really care to have a lot of.

Overall just bland, neutral, and inoffensive. Nothing I would recommend, but nothing to offensive either. Pretty much the definition of average.

2.8/5  rDev -12.2%

The beer pours a reddish-amber color with a white head. The aroma is actually fairly nice, with some caramel and toffee notes. The flavor is not too great. There is nothing wrong with it, it is just very bland. I get some toffee and bready malt, but that is about it. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

I had heard the beers from Rahr's were better after they renovated their brewery, but this is the same, bland beer that they have always brewed.

1.43/5  rDev -55.2%

A - Its a sad thing when the best part of a beer its appearance, poured a dark copper color with an off white head that fades in the blink of an eye.

S - I can't completely bash its smell as it does smell theres some malt scents but not what I look for in a Marzen

T - I don't taste anything that would make me say this bottle is infected but I'm not tasting anything good here either

M - This beer has a thin watery body with medium carbonation to it

D - Unless you like dirty mop water stay the hell away from this one the rest of this pint is bound for the drain avoid this beer

2.59/5  rDev -18.8%

I tried several local Oktoberfests while down in Dallas recently and this was one of them...

Pours a dull brown and has pretty much zip for carbonation... Ok, a little foam tries to rise up but that quickly disappears, leaving a murky liquid behind... Not what I was hoping for here...

Well, the sweet biscuity malts make up for the bad appearance... They bring a respectability back to this.. Pretty decent for the style...

Well, this is a big disappointment....this is watery and bland with a touch of sweet malts but there's also this buttery oily finish that really has me struggling with this one....this is the weakest of the locals by far..

Well, I got to try a brew that I never would have had a chance to try otherwise but in this case, that's not a good thing...

1.95/5  rDev -38.9%

Rahr you got me again! I used to buy the blonde lager quite a bit when it was $6.99 and at that price accept the occasional flat or sour bottle. Now that Rahr beers are priced in line with Great Divide, Sierra Nevada and others I don't take the chance however I saw the Oktoberfest and being a sucker for something new picked it up.

The description on the bottle says a large fluffy head - I was greeted with a dismal off-white scum, kind of like what you see lapping at the edges of Lake Lewisville. The beer itself was murky and uninspired. A marzen lager should snap and this just squatted listlessly in my glass. The taste was faintly malty with a touch of sweetness but I was distracted by an overriding watery mouthfeel.

3.38/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle tried 20 Oct 2008.

Poured in a 0.4 L glass stein. Large tight yellow head. Well carbonated. Clear deep red-auburn color. Caramel, malt, almonds and a little ethanol in the aroma. Sweet and malty with some caramel and buttersotch to start. Toasty sweet nuttiness, almonds, pecans. Finishes with a bit of cinnamon spiciness. Medium body.

Not my favorite oktoberfest but decent.

Got this at the FW CM when Rahr was there giving samples so I presume this was a good batch. I've not run across a spoiled batch myself but I also don't frequently purchase Rahr because they seem to consistently run $2-3 more per six than other locals (the ofest was $9.75 per six when I bought it).

3.22/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured with a foamy tan head that had large bubbles and faded fairly quickly. The beer had excellent clarity and was a deep amber with some orange highlights. No lacing to be found. Some visible carbonation.

Aroma was all malt, some sweetness and a bit like crusty bread. Almost that spice cinnamon note that I detect at times.

Flavor is fine. Not too deep. Some roasted malt, followed by a bread like or cracker flavor. Not much sweetness. A bit dry. At moments I got a metallic flavor. Faded towards the end. Not very complex.

Mouth feel was kind of light and the carbonation was a bit bright. Drinkable, but not very exciting.

3.12/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured this out of a 12 oz bottle. The bottle has a nice drawing of a German Oktoberfest and a quick description of "OZapft is", (the keg is tapped) on the side.

The beer poured a I got a decent one finger head, but it quickly disappated and there was no lace left on the side of the glass. Within minutes there wasn't even any foam left.

The smell reminded me of orange and I checked to see if the beer listed orange peel, but did not see it listed.

The has a slightly bitter taste, but it goes down very smooth. I get a decent balanced beer with a light bit of cascade hops.

Not a bad offering if you consider that it is from my hometown brewery of Rahr and Sons. The place is definitely hit or miss.

3.39/5  rDev +6.3%

The beer is a reddish copper with no head at all. It smells of burnt caramel, oranges and pepper. At this point, I am intrigued. The taste is mild malt, some dryness, and a slight spice. It is interesting but maltier and somehow simpler than the style examples I've had before. Mouthfeel is slick, light, and nicely carbonated. This is a pretty drinkable beer, with a good balance of the malt & hop flavors. This is a good beer but definitely not an exceptional one. I prefer the Ugly Pug and definitely prefer their Pecker Wrecker & Bucking Bock. Still, a welcome, rare Oktoberfest offering from a US brewery.

2.71/5  rDev -15%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Very dark amber for the style. White head that quickly dissipated. Solid looking brew.

S: Not much on the nose, which I took to be a good thing as it does not look like I got a spoiled bottle. Little malt apparent but really not much there at all.

T & M: Maltiness up front with thin finish. There is some toastiness that picked up just briefly as well. Carbonation a little high for the style and diminishes the mouthfeel.

D: On the lower end of the Oktoberfest totem pole. Rahr seems to make average to slightly below average brews for the most part.

2.09/5  rDev -34.5%

Bottle courtesy of ChoqlitStout - thanks!! Poured into a tasting glass.

Appearance: Pours a really dark (for the style) with a fast-fading slightly off-white head. Lacing is almost nonexistent.

Aroma: Initially, pretty harsh and foul, but it mellows out after a while. Still, sort of tart, milky, off, with funky fruity notes, like lemon, and some pale, faint, roasted grains. Husky.

Taste: Similar to the nose, but way more tart - lemon, funky sour notes, roasted grains, husky. Not pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy, overly carbonated, uneven, a little thin.

Drinkability: Not a fan of this one. The bottle may have been bad, but it was, both stylistically and generally, not a pleasant beer to consume. Gotta work on the malt profile, as well as the quality control here. Not recommended.

1.63/5  rDev -48.9%

Got from Lone Star after the brewery/distributor had replaced the bad batch that got shipped there so this one is factory fresh. Poured from a 12oz bottle (no date) into a pint glass. It was an orangish amber color with a ton of little yeast bits floating in it. Lots of carb. No lacing. It had a small beige head that quickly fizzled to nothing.

The aroma was very weak. A bit of caramel malt and just a bit of hops but that faded very soon after pouring. Not very appetizing. The taste was also very bland and what was there was off. Had a slightly bitter taste and none of the sweetness you usually find in a Marzen. Also had a very weird aftertaste. Can't pin it down but makes you dread the next drink and kills the mouthfeel.

Overall, a terrible beer - avoid. This supposed to be the fresh batch but sure tastes off to me. Not sure what the problem with Rahr is but over half of the beers I get from them are spoiled. When they are on the make a couple really good beers like the hefe but when they are off they are bad. And unfortunately they are off more than they are on. I want to support them since local but tired of spending good money on spoiled beer. They need better quality control, dates on the labels and non twist off caps.

2.98/5  rDev -6.6%

I originally bought a 6 pack that was obviously bad. Contacted Rahr's and someone from the brewery drove from Ft. Worth to North Dallas to check it out, and then after tasting a few of the beers he replaced the store's supply with fresh from the brewery beer. BIG PROPS to Rahr's for that.

So I'll be reviewing the fresh beer.

Poured in a pint class to a very nice amber color with a small amount of of white head, with minimal lacing.

Smell is ok, nothing great (but not as bad as the first beer I opened that was bad).

Taste is also ok. I've been drinking many different Oktoberfests this fall and I would have to say this is not a very good contender.

Rahr's customer service is top notch. However, they need a little work on this seasonal.

3.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Had a few of these at the brewery last night. Medium dark amber color poured with almost no head but good lacing. Very clear.

Nothing too special or strong on the smell.

Tastes like a standard oktoberfest beer with a mild malty flavor and a bit of caramel. Very slight bitter aftertaste.

A little bit thicker than others but smooth and dry.

Pretty nice beer to drink I had three. Not sure the ABV but must be decent as I could feel it pretty good by the last one. Overall not a bad beer at all.

1.97/5  rDev -38.2%

thanks stu! .. some head on pour but dies to nothing ... smells of a rusty caramel can .. sour, metallic maybe some traces of caramel ... got this right from the distributor so i know it was fresh, but tastes spoiled ... ANOTHER IN A LONG LINE OF DISAPPOINTMENTS from the lower end of texas brewers! .. i don't get it, Bitter End burns down, but these guys stay open!!

1.56/5  rDev -51.1%

Rich maroon pour with a slight bit of cloudiness and a beige head. More importantly though, it smelled and tasted spoiled but it was bought almost immediately after being released... Musty, thick tart malt smell. Very sour, lemony, spoiled taste. Not good. bland and almost rotten tasting. I literally couldn't take a 4th sip for the rating even, and cringed as I brought it to my mouth. I'd say it was an old bottle, but I know it was fresh within a few days of being released...

4.21/5  rDev +32%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A pretty decent Oktoberfest beer that improves as it warms up.

Quite attractive dark amber color with a short-ish tan head.

Very nice and malty, fresh and rich. Quite satisfying. Very well-balanced. It reminds me a dark german bread.

Very smooth mouth feel. The aroma was a bit weak. It just needed a little more of something to me.

Definitely do not drink this beer cold. It is much, much better at something approaching cellar temperature. Much more complex than it appeared on first sip.

Also I should note that this beer is not a good value. It is quite tasty but for the price, I would go with Paulaner Oktoberfest instead. $9+ a sixer is way too much.

3.37/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a delicious looking beer-bottle brown with red highlights around the edges. Turns a little redder in stronger light. Limited head with no retention and pretty much no lacing. Lots of carbonation. Good color, but the lack of foam hurts.

All chocolate and caramel. A little toasty. A nice smell. With much agitation, some hoppy (spicy, piney) notes just peek through.

It's like dipping your tongue in carbonated liquid chocolate. Some toasty caramelized notes come through here and there too. A good taste, but nothing to write home about.

Fairly light on the palate. Good crisp carbonation prickle. Actually reminds a little bit of Rahr's Ugly Pug, which I find quite tasty. It's lighter though. Mostly sweet. Just a little bitter bite here and there.

Tasty. I won't have trouble finishing my sixer. But I have to think there are better Marzen/Oktoberfest brews out there (I haven't tried too many myself).

3.68/5  rDev +15.4%

Served at the Ginger Man in Ft. Worth

Aroma: Mild malt edge, some yeast notes (hard in a bar)

Appearance: Good clarity, dark amber glass with a tan head falls to a thin collar but lasts without lacing.

Flavor: Malty, toasted, close to balanced with malt winning the day and keeping any real hop flavor down. Slight purple grape in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Lightish body, a touch thin

Overall Impression: Easy drinking, great malt character, head retention and body could use a tweak. Good beer, liked it!

2.23/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours out like a dark, raspberry flavored iced tea with a tiny head that fizzles quickly into nothing. Smell has some nuttiness from the malts and a brown sugar aspect to it, but this is all drowned out by a harsh graininess and a weird butter/rubber band medley that I can't put my finger on. This odd characteristic comes out right at the gates in the flavor accompanied by heavy toast and even a bit of roasted malt flavor, it seems. The graininess shows up in the middle along with that weird rubber thing (which stuck around all this time). Finishes sticky sweet with a touch of marshmallow flavor. Mouthfeel is awfully light and prickly with a stickiness that follows each sip. Not impressed at all. I was really hoping for a good local O-fest.

4.24/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Just out in stores, this beer pours out a lovely reddish-amber color with a small initial head that unfortunately fades a bit too quickly, leaving not the slightest hint of foam on top. The aroma, though, is nearly perfect for an oktoberfest! Too many American versions tend to sweet caramel and nothing else. This version is nicely toasty, with crusty bread-like melanoidins; it's got a complex and interesting malt profile. Deliciously tasty too, with all the emphasis on the malt. Nutty malt with a lightly toasted aspect, sweet but not cloying, with a clean finish. No hop flavor to speak of, but that's not a loss for the style. The body seems a bit flat and watery, the only disappointing aspect of the beer.

An solid interpretation of the style. Well done!

3.12/5  rDev -2.2%

I'm here in Fort Worth, and I definitely want to support my local brewery, but man, I wish they'd come to the table with some higher quality beer. I shall explain. This one has all the markings of an Oktoberfest, one can see what they are going for, but it's just not quite happening. I kept thinking to myself that it wasn't quite as good as Saint Arnold's Oktoberfest. Rahr's has a pleasant aroma with some good malty notes, almost no head retention or lacing, and a bit of a bite in the finish that wasn't to my liking. Keep on trying, Rahr, I'm still hanging with ya.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last