Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer | Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Added by Bitterbill on 05-28-2008

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

My son brought this beer over for my dad and I to sample and it was very good. It had a dark and robust flavor and the company was great. The company probably made the beer better but I will drink this again. I would like to have this on tap before I really get sold.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber into a snifter glass.

I love the appearance of this beer; it's beautiful. The pour produces a three-finger thick, frothy, chewy, cream-colored head. Below lies a pitch black, thick-looking liquid that resembles oil and is very opaque.

Bourbon is prominent as one would expect on the nose. Some alcohol astringency accompanies this. Alongside these aromas, I get sweet dark malts and oak, and the overall smell is very thick, pungent and inviting. I guess this is part of why they call these warmers.

My taste buds are just as pleased as my nose was. The beer is immediately bourbony and oaken on my tongue and there are notes of vanilla over the silky, creamy mouthfeel. I also get some sweet maltiness, some rye spice and a slight chocolatey aftertaste.

As mentioned above, this beer is silky, creamy and smooth. There's low carbonation, a slight astringency at the finish and a warming sensation on the tongue.

I find this beer to be a great treat. The beer is smooth, balanced and not dominated by bourbon, and thus allows for other flavors to figure prominently.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer from Rahr & Sons Brewing Company