Iron Thistle | Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

rahrbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

SCOTTISH STYLE ALE
Available : February Release
Break out the bagpipes with your lederhosen! We’re proud to present our Iron Thistle Scotch Ale – Rahr’s first National Grand Champion winner. This dark, Scottish ale has a bold taste dominated by a smooth, sweet maltiness balanced with a low, hoppy bitterness. So don your kilts and enjoy. Here’s to your health – Slàinte! Prosit!
ABV

52°
CHEESE PAIRINGS
Brie, Aged Gouda
FOOD PAIRINGS
According to a well-respected expert, Iron Thistle pairs really well with grilled or steamed vegetables because “they won’t have to scream to be heard.” Since we find screaming vegetables unappetizing, we think this is a perfect pairing.

Added by roblowther on 05-30-2009

Reviews by OCdrummer7271:

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%

Had on tap at the brewery during July 2009. Pours a darker brown with a creamy head. Smells of malt with a little smoke. Taste is sweet malt with some peat and smoke. This is not a very heavy beer and is very drinkable for a scotch ale. This is the only time I ever saw this beer, but I would drink it again if it became a seasonal or year-round offering.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured into a pint glass black with what seemed to be very little carbonation, creating nearly no head what so ever. I've poured three of these with the same results. The scent is rather strong for a Rahr, which is strong of sweet malts. The flavor is much the same, a sweet front that mellows out to a bitter hop taste. The aftertaste isn't bad, but it isn't good either. The mouthfeel is rather thin, which is par for Rahr. Overall, this is a very good beer for Rahr, but that doesn't make it a very good beer.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

3.79/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Excellent, straightforward, nice sweetness. Very well made beer

2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

You know, when I first started drinking Rahr beers, I wasn't too impressed, but over the last year or so I've come to appreciating much more. It probably started when I first tried their Winter Warmer. I thought it was delicious. Then I drank their BBWW and was extremely impressed. It's one of those beers you can't get enough of. Now I've had their Iron Thistle and I'm convinced any of their beers that use roasted and/or chocolate malts then I'll like the beer. The Iron Thistle is no exception. Also, I don't think I've had a Scotch Ale that I've disliked.

Iron Thistle pours out clear and the darkest of brown, but a brown-ruby color when held up to the light. The head is light brown while being about a finger and a half high. It fizzes itself out fairly quickly. No lacing. With the name Iron Thistle, it's not a tantalizing name as far as the beer goes, but this does look good.

Mmm...I like the smell. As expected, it's malty as hell. Dark roasted malts bring out nuttiniess, coffee, and a brown sugar sweetness. Chocolate malt is present too. There's a bit of anise or liquorice. I do get some hops that warm the nose with spice.

The taste is where this beer shines. Coffee and chocolate malts are strong with a brown sugar sweetness that's underneath. It has a nice nuttiness throughout, as well as a slight hint of booze. This sort of reminds me of the BBWW but the flavors are not as strong. You know, at the end I get a sort of tobacco-ish essence with it. I've decided while I'm a hop head, I also love beers that use the roasted, dark malts.

This has a medium-low carbonation that makes it very smooth with its medium body. Iron Thistle is oh so drinkable.

Another Rahr beer that's damn good and another Scotch Ale that I really like. Rahr is now one of my favorite Texas breweries.

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Look: Really nice head lasting about 4 or 5 minutes. Left a good amount of lacing all the way to the end. Beautiful color that resembles mahogany.
Smell: wonderful aromas of smoke, nuts, chocolate, and malt
Taste: Strong malt with nice flavors of chocolate, molasses and coffee, with a hint of smoke (why not its a Scotch ale)
Feel: Definitely a higher point beer, not overly boozy but still you can taste the alcohol. A little more hops than I like but not bad.
Overall: An excellent beer, one that I would recommend with out reservation to some one that likes heavier more full bodied brew. Not a beer for someone that lives in the macro lager world. Best serving temp is 52 degrees.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

3.76/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours an effervescent scarlet-hued mahogany with sliver of tan head. Above average head retention & average lacing

S: Cakey, toasty

T: Follows the nose, brown sugar & dryness up front. Oaky dryness, a litttle toffee & toastyness as this warms. Finishes toasty & with woody dryness

MF: Medium body, firm carbonation

A good take on the style, pretty easy to drink

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%