Iron Thistle | Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

rahrbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

SCOTTISH STYLE ALE
Available : February Release
Break out the bagpipes with your lederhosen! We’re proud to present our Iron Thistle Scotch Ale – Rahr’s first National Grand Champion winner. This dark, Scottish ale has a bold taste dominated by a smooth, sweet maltiness balanced with a low, hoppy bitterness. So don your kilts and enjoy. Here’s to your health – Slàinte! Prosit!

IBU

Added by roblowther on 05-30-2009

Liked:
3.87/5
Alströms:

Poured at about 45F into a pint glass. Nice 3 finger head; dark brown body, but when held up to the light, it's clearly filtered and it shines a brilliant crimson color which enlightens me. Caramel on the nose, coffee, cocoa, almost sweet but not quite, a trace of a ripe dark fruit dimension to it... blackberries maybe? Wow. This is so deliciously smooth. Caramel right away with coffee following. I'm trying not to drink it all before it warms up and I'm failing miserably. Luckily I set out the last bottle I had when I opened this one. I wait a few minutes then pour it up, at about 52F now. Bigger frothier head than before, and it sticks around a good while. Some lacing, but not a lot. Nose is the same. Noticeably bigger mouth feel, though, with moderate carbonation, and it's slick and silky feeling that goes down smooth... Tasting notes are caramel, molasses, a hint of coffee, a bit of toast, considerable Warrior hop bitterness, and just a nice bittersweet moment for a while after that. Overall I love this very well crafted beer and it's highly under rated.

UPDATE: Iron Thistle now in cans; still EXCELLENT, still 5 stars, but this year it's only 7%. The taste is far better than OB's Old Chub or Founder's Dirty Bastard.

4.99/5  rDev +28.9%

Pours with a very dark brown color, almost black. It has a little clarity, but hardly noticeable unless you hold it up to a light. It smells malty and chocolatey, but is light to the nose. I enjoyed the lightness to this beer. It has aromas of a stout, but is a smooth more drinkable beer. I enjoyed this beer a lot, I can't wait for their next seasonal.

4.88/5  rDev +26.1%

A review of the 2010 offering, opened in January of 2011.

A: Deep brown in color with trace red highlights. A small, light tan/off white head that is quickly reduced to light lacing.

S: Sweet malty smell with hints of chocolate

T: Sweet....Malts. Malts. Chocolate. Malts. No bitterness whatsoever.

M: A sweet flavor, that I believe grows sweeter with time.

O: I love this beer. The "Wee Heavy" is a favorite style of mine, and Rahr's Iron Thistle might be my favorite offering of all, that I think has grown better with age.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Excellent, straightforward, nice sweetness. Very well made beer

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am far from a connoisseur, but I have tried perhaps 3 dozen different craft beers. This one remains my favorite. It taste great, it looks great, it feels great, and it smells great. It has a kick, but the alcohol is nicely masked. It's dark, sweet, and smooth. I keep thinking I will find a beer I like better, but it eludes me. The only reason I am not giving it a perfect score is that I'm sure there is a better beer out there that is better suited to its style. When I find it, it will get the 5. Until then, this is my personal favorite. It may not be for everyone, but it hits me perfectly.

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a Shiner on-tap and the bartender asked if I'd ever tried Rahr. I said no and he let me sample several. My favorite was Iron Thistle. Went to the brewery in Fort Worth yesterday for their Saturday tasting and confirmed that it's my favorite. In act, they didn't put it out until 30 minutes before closing because that's what everyone wants and they run out.

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%