Gravel Road | Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

17%
Alströms:

1.75/5  rDev -49.6%

2.38/5  rDev -31.4%

On tap at a local pub, during the last few rounds of trivia night.

A: Dark, ruby brown color. Red tinge from the CaraRed malt.

S: Toasty, woody smell. Lots of malt, possible slight tinge of raisin.

T: Heavy toasted malt, slight hint of sweetness. The more I drank, the more I was convinced the batch had been kilned just a bit too long. Bitter note, not from hops, but from burnt taste.

M: Very drying, bad burnt aftertaste.

I'm all for supporting the Rahr Brewery, but I felt this brew was below their standards. I'd be willing to try another one, and give Rahr the benefit of the doubt.

2.45/5  rDev -29.4%

My first experience w/ Rahr and Sons

Poured into a pint glass..

Appearance-Dark red, mahogany. About a one finger off white head that dissipated quickly and left no laces. Very unapealing.

Smell-Very subtle aroma. Light dark fruits and some bitterness. Really not much here.

Taste-Follows the nose. The primary flavor is bready with some slightly sweet fruits. Towards the end a pretty big floral hop bitterness cuts through. Not horrible I guess.

Mouthfeel-Light bodied, easy to drink. Watery.

Overall-Altbier's are not a style I prefer, but have enjoyed the others I've had(Spoetzl, Long Trail) but this one didn't really bring much flavor or anything to really savor or enjoy. Not for me, and probably won't be for you either.

2.5/5  rDev -28%

2.7/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Bottle from local shop...
pours a nice amber color with a tiny ring of head, not much at all...
the nose is bready, very wheat forward. Definitely strong on the munich malt, or at least what I think is munich... no hops...
Taste is pretty empty.... nothing on the front, nothing in the middle and ends with a toffee maltiness with a bitter finish and aftertaste. I dont think I have actually had such a tastless beer. Never has there been such a hole in a beer for me. There is a nice creaminess on the front, with a sweetness, but honestly, i taste nothing there... I may have to revisit this, may be something wrong with me? Going to ask the girlfriend... no help there, she is drinking a lil sumpthin wild, and just tastes brown sugar...
Mouthfeel is great, nice and creamy... carbonation is medium, on par with the style.
overall, this was disappointing. I am going to revisit this if i find any difference when i come back to it, but ultimately a strangely flavorless brew.

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

3.05/5  rDev -12.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into "craft beer glass" (wide-mouthed stick)
[no dating on bottle; drank on 12/4/13]

L: dull murky brown that turns orange-amber up to light; minimal head of caramel foam that dissipates quickly; lots of floaties that turn it opaque

S: caramel; sweet sugary malt ... vanilla

T: caramel ... perhaps an older malty mess, very sweet but you can taste the alcohol

F: solid all around, good carbonation

O: if somebody told me this was an American imperial IPA, I'd have believed them. it seems to follow none of the altbier's textbook characteristics other than it's definitely a malt-forward beer -- but here the malt seems very mangled up and messy. it's possible I had this particular bottle well past it's prime

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%

On tap at Rockwells in Cypress, TX.

A: Pours a dark brown color. A tiny tan head forms and recedes to nothing. No lace.
S: Toasted malt, light chocolate, and some hop bitterness. Pretty standard.
T: Toasted malt, bread, biscuit, chocolate, and some hops. Not bad.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Fairy creamy and smooth. Easy enough to drink, but not something I would come back to.

Like most everything from Rahr, just ho hum. Nothing particularly wrong, but boring. Nothing I would recommend, but nothing bad either. Once again, I am still trying to find out what an Altbeir acutally is. I don't thing this is one.

Gravel Road from Rahr & Sons Brewing Company