Brewer's Art Beazly Golden Ale | The Brewer's Art

The Brewer's Art
Maryland, United States
thebrewersart.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Our answer to the Belgian «devil» beers (i.e. Lucifer, Duvel, etc.). Both rich and dry, this beer is all too easy to consume in large quantities. Hopped with Styrian Goldings.

Formerly Ozzy Ale

Added by Todd on 06-17-2003

Liked:
4.02/5
Alströms:
4.5

2017 batch, canned. Straw colored. Some lacing. Tastes way more like a Belgian ale than I would've expected, and I'm not a fan of Belgian yeast. The "Beazly" version being labeled "Golden Ale" instead of indicating a Belgian Ale is confusing, as other brews labeled that way (including ones from Baltimore) are actually Cream Ales. BA doesn't even have "Golden Ale" listed as a style. —Reviewed 2017/09/02

2.5/5  rDev -37.8%

2.85/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

From 12 oz can into mason jar glass. Last consumed yesterday.

Let me first say, if it was based on look and smell alone, this beer is easily a 9/10. It has a fantastic color to it and a wonderful smell. At very first taste, it is fantastic and refreshing with a very small bit of hop and then tasty deliciousness. However, (to be blunt) once the initial taste goes away in about 2 seconds, it both tastes and feels like Baltimore tap water. I bought a six pack and still have 3 of these sitting in the fridge because I simply cannot finish the rest of them.
The Brewers Art is were I went on my 21st, and I highly recommend going there. They have some fantastic beer in-house. If you can get to the Brewers Art, I'm sure this beer is fantastic. However, I cant say that I recommend this beer canned.

2.98/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Picked up a can from the brewery in Baltimore, poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear golden color with a light fluffy white head with a great retention. The beer is clear enough that I can read text through my glass. The head leaves a soapy retention down to the bottom of the glass.

S - Very floral and yeasty aroma with a light hop bitterness. The aroma is perfectly balanced, you get a nose-ful when you take a deep whiff, but not overwhelming.

T - The taste offers very little of the smell that got me excited about this beer. The taste is just a light bitter mess that tastes like an old pale ale. I bought a fresh six pack from the brewery, so I doubt it's aged. The aftertaste is just flat bitterness, similar to very bitter chocolate. I'll drink it but am certainly not impressed.

M - Mouthfeel is flat, bland and watery. There is a slight bubbly bite at the end, but not much going.

Overall, this beer isn't a winner. The aroma and appearance thought this would be an out of the park home run, but the taste and mouthfeel left me disappointed. Brewer's Art makes much better stuff.

2.98/5  rDev -25.9%

Yet another big thanks owed to mikereaser from the Under 100 Bif. I think I have just one more treat after this. Helluva haul that was.

Big 750ml. Pours an apricot colored semi-opaque fluid under an absolute abomination of a snow white head. There's three inches of beer and four inches of head, she said. Mushmellow. I wonder if it will ever die or it it is immortal. The beer contains a full onslaught of bubbles racing to the top. Damn head might still be growing. Looks like alka seltzer. IT'S ALIVE!

I smell citrus and spice through the foam. Tastes like lemon. With spices. Not bad.

Carbonation is over the top rude as hell. I'm talking unnecessarily rude. Mouthfeel and drinkability suffer as a result.

Overall: served its purpose

3.3/5  rDev -17.9%

I thought that it was going to be like duvel since the description said it was their answer to it. Didn't have much of a smell. served in a chimay like goblet glass. Touch of apple on the nose, some alcohol, and malt. half-one finger head. For me it didn't feel like a belgian strong ale. It tasted more of a saison with a boozy bite to it. That didn't mean the beer was bad but it was not described properly. Would I get it again? Probably not.

3.35/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.36/5  rDev -16.4%

From the tap at the Grey Lodge, this beer poured a clean and clear gold color. A thinning white head topped off this brew. Low carbonation. From this beer emits a strange egg like aroma, or it can maybe be described as a Sanford felt tip marker. The taste is light fruity and has a spicy, almost peppery hop bite. Lemon cough drop notes come out. Medium malt bodied beer and finishes sharp and clean with a light and peppery dryness and a dry spicy hop sting. This is an enjoyable beer that has a distinctiveness about it.

3.36/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz can into tulip. cant make out the canned on or best before date printed on the side of the can.

A: pours with virtually no head. hazed orange body. theres some brown stuff on the bottom of my glass. it looks like wood splinters. limited lacing.

S: soft fruit. pears. no hop aroma. sweet unfermented sugar.

T: very similar to the nose. a lot of fruit. very sweet. pears. a little bit of yeasty, earthy bitterness. chalky for a moment. finish has a lingering sweetness.

M: moderate carb on a medium body.

D: not bad, not great. finding this very middle of the road. wish I knew what this crap was sitting at the bottom of my glass. working past that, this thing still doesn't have anything that really grabs me.

3.44/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.45/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at TJ's, Paoli, PA

Glad to see this on tap, as a full bottle would be a little much for me. Golden colored pour, pristine clarity, topped with a small, rocky, white head; low retention and just a bit of lacing at first. Quite Belgian in the nose, bready yeast, light spice, herbal hop notes. Taste of toasted cereal grains, Belgian yeast with fruit ester undertones, grassy, peppery spice. Light body, pretty easily drinkable, but nothing amazing. Not really sure what this beer has to do with Ozzy, unless it's a "prince of darkness" reference or something.

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brewer's Art Beazly Golden Ale from The Brewer's Art