Barrel aging questions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Shmuffalo, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Zealot (707) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

I've always been curious about the barrel aging process, and haven't found much about it on the subject. I have two main questions I'm wondering about.

First, many beers age in bourbon barrels. Are these bourbon barrels completely empty, with only the lingering whiskey on the barrel, or is whiskey added?

Second, a more general question, how do breweries transfer the beer? Nowadays, IPAs to Stouts are aged in bourbon barrels, and I would assume the brewer would want the least amount of oxygen touching the beer as possible in the process. So how do they transfer the beer?

And cheers, as I sip on a BA Bigfoot!

Hopsiam14 and jtdolla911 like this.
  2. jtdolla911

jtdolla911 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2011 Massachusetts

If you follow enough people on Facebook, you start to get some sort of answer to those questions, but I am also interested to hear a full answer from within the industry.

As far as the first question tho, I'm fairly certain there is no added alcohol, and the beer just absorbs the flavor from the barrel over time. IPA's aged a few months in barrels take on a different profile than Stouts aged longer. But that might also have more to do with the composition of the beer being aged. Just what I've figured out from Facebook posts.

Shmuffalo likes this.
  3. Shmuffalo

It's a really interesting process, and drinking an BA Bigfoot made me thing about it a little. Then, I thought about a beer like Founders Doom. A BA IPA sounds nuts, but considering the reputation Founders has, I think they could pull it off.

4. Jparker37

Jparker37 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2011 Wisconsin

Although I wouldn't say we're an industry leader. The brewery I work at has recently started aging beers in barrels. Bourbon barrels are the most common as it is law I believe to only use once for whiskey makers. The barrels we've received are completely empty and add some yet little alcohol to the finished beer. We have so far shown best results using a completely decarbonated version of our beer in the barrel to obtain as little off flavors as possible. There will always be a bit of oxidation from barrel aging as even the tightest barrels will still "breath". Some breweries top off the barrel every so often. For an in-depth way of moving the beer, we take decarbonated kegs of beers we think will match well with the barrels were going into via beer couplers with backflow preventers removed pushing beer from the keg to another keg coupler with backflow preventers removed and a spike taken from the organs of a disassembled keg to insert in an empty barrel and fill till it's overflowing and then we cap it with a bung. So far we've only used brandy barrels but have managed to earn a medal at the World Beer Cup.

Shmuffalo and jtdolla911 like this.
  5. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Pooh-Bah (1,893) Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah

I am no expert but here is what I have learned from BA, fbook, web, etc. barrels are empty and when freshly emptied the barrels have some of the liquor that has been absorbed into the wood. This is where the bourbon and flavors come from. I know the beer is pumped into the barrels by hoses and a steel tube, but not sure how it is removed but would assume it is somehow pumped out.

Shmuffalo likes this.
  6. Oneinchaway

Oneinchaway Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2011 California
    Trader

I've been curious, as I know little of the barrel aging brewing step by step process, how you barrel age a beer and not infect it. Is the barrel sanitized in some way before racking the beer into? Really curious on this.

Shmuffalo likes this.
  7. jtdolla911

That's a good question. Would sanitizing it kill off/dilute some of the alcohol present? I know the barrels are charred and sanitized before use, maybe they just run with it? Or maybe the yeast is already active and therefore helps prevent infection.

Shmuffalo likes this.
  8. Jparker37

We've never done any extra sanitization as the barrels come with a bung already in them. As far as keeping them from spoiling them and causing infection is using a stronger beer that stands up to intense flavors or infection.

jtdolla911 and Shmuffalo like this.
  9. Shmuffalo

Thanks guys for the responses. It sounds incredibly interesting. And Jparker, aging a beer in brandy barrels sounds delicious. I've heard of them, but have never had the chance to try a brandy aged beer. Since I'm a little out of your vicinity, I'll keep an eye out for any brandy aged beer.

10. jtdolla911

You should check out calvados, cognac, or wine aged products as well. There are lots of great barrel aged offerings and each one offers its own unique characteristics.

11. Jparker37

The beer we won with was a Belgian Dubbel, you could imagine how well that would work with a brandy barrel.

12. duketheredeemer

duketheredeemer Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2007 Washington

I imagine if you're careful racking the beer into the barrel, the odds of infection are pretty small. After all, the barrel is still coated on the inside with 100+ proof liquor.

jtdolla911 likes this.
  13. Oneinchaway

Trader

I tried a brandy barrel aged Dark Lord a month ago (unfortunately it was beer #30 during a bottle share...so I didn't really 'experience' as much as I would have liked). However, I did have a brandy barrel aged barleywine a month ago too...kind of like a sweeter bourbon barrel aged taste.

14. Oneinchaway

Trader

Good point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.