Tørst bar set to open in New York City (Jeppe, Evil Twin)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Denoas, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2012 New York

Everything ran perfect. What I meant by 'shit show' is being VERY busy. When the restaurant opens and the NY Times does a review it will be packed. Look at Momofuku or Blind Tiger VSK night.. This is the best of both.
    Good for them. I will be returning as frequently as possible.

2. BierKonig

BierKonig Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2005 Denmark

Guys, we are working on the writing on the mirrors. Since it is pretty much the only critique we get, it will be fixed and we toatally agree that it is too hard to read!

Thanks again guys, glad you enjoyed yourself!!

Jeppe

3. kevflaherty

kevflaherty Devotee (341) May 8, 2010 New York

This!! I went on Friday and I really liked this beer.

Thanks Jeppe, this is a great place.

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I'm actually really surprised you guys/gals didn't take down at least a few offerings on the bottle list....I mean they didn't run out of anything?

5. corby112

corby112 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 Pennsylvania

The prices are pretty high so unless you have a group of people splitting the cost most people will be limited to one or two bottles. Also, many people have stated that they went in with the intention do buying bottles but the draft list was so impressive that they just stuck with that. Average pours are supposedly $7-10.

SpeedwayJim likes this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Well good, hopefully those bottles stay there until I can convice the wife to let me take a trip there.

corby112 likes this.
  7. Theshagger

Theshagger Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2011 Pennsylvania

A list and description on the draft beers would be useful, also, the bottle list was hard to read, maybe a bigger font. I know the draft list changes often, but it would be helpful to know what kind of beer it is

8. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Pooh-Bah (2,753) Jun 19, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Me and Grumpy went on Sunday. Had the 1999 Selection, Nogno Batch 1 RIS, SNR 2005, Tilquin Queiztch, and Vin de Cereale (Thanks again Mike). So we did take down a bunch of bottles, but mostly stuff neither of us had had before (ie, none of the Cantillon stuff).

They didn't run out of anything, but honestly, the draft list is so impressive there was no real need to dive right into the bottles.

BeerWorld, ceight, POTABLE83 and 3 others like this.
  9. ceight

ceight Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 New York

And incredibly kindly shared with Franch and me. (Thank you, thank you, thank you again guys!)

Glad my only complaint (hard to read boards...I have shitty vision as is) is going to be fixed! Felt bad asking for someone to recommend something awesome on tap when nearly everything on tap is amazing! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I spent more time here than at my own apartment this weekend. Thanks for an awesome opening!

10. mdfb79

mdfb79 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,643) Jan 11, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Just caught up on this thread since Friday morning...wow!

Heading to Boston for EBF this weekend but will definitely be checking out the weekend of the 23rd...can't wait to visit.

11. totoropanda

totoropanda Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2012 New Jersey

My buddy that went today was told that hommage was sold out! =(

12. tevanoff

tevanoff Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2010 New York

oh man, i tried to get one early sunday afternoon and they said it was gone for the day, not gone for good. damn!

13. ceight

ceight Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 New York

I think they're trying to make sure that what they have doesn't sell out within a week.

14. t8000shx

t8000shx Zealot (588) Mar 2, 2004 New York
    Trader

Like a bunch of others here, I spent quite a few hours at your bar on both Friday and Saturday - and like everyone else I absolutely loved it. The attention to detail is stunning, particularly the color coding of the tap handles/ordering the beers from lightest to darkest. It's a visually gorgeous set up, without question. And what a tap list! I'll echo other comments in saying that while the bottle list is remarkable (and I drank my fair share of it), the tap list is what will keep me coming back.

Also - HUGE credit to your staff. I only remember Jon's name because I spoke with him the longest, but also the guy with the curly brown/gray hair, the woman bartender (I only saw one, apologies if there were several), the guy with the closely shaved head with dark hair, and the barback/busser couldn't have been friendlier or more accommodating or better informed. I'm sure they were a huge part of what made this by far the smoothest restaurant/bar opening I've been to.

So my only suggestion then would be to have brief descriptions of the tap beers either on the mirrors or visible somewhere else. The staff were all great at providing descriptions whenever they were asked, but instead of having to bother them each time it would be nice to be able to look up at a board. Even if the descriptions were all of three words ("tart, fruity, light" say for the Justin Blabaer), it would be a very helpful cue. Particularly since so many of the beers you guys are pouring are unfamiliar, which is a good thing.

And that's it. Absolutely killed the opening weekend.

15. BierKonig

BierKonig Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2005 Denmark

Once again, thanks for feedback.

Everything has been well though off. The lack of our taplist on our homepage is something we actually have discussed a lot and decided not to do. We want peopleto come for the whole experience and not for a single rare beer. Plus we know that other sites list the beers that are on anyway. At the same reason we will not be doing any events such as tap takeovers, special releases etc. We want any day at Tørst to be the best!

Despription of the beers on draft is not a bad idea, but we will keep not doing it for a while and see how it goes. We have already realized we need more staff, cause we want to have the intimite conversation, and want our staff to interact as much as possible with the customers, and we fear we might loose that a bit if we put to much out there! Ask away, we LOVE talking about beer and as said, more staff will come in so the wait should be longer. We also already plan table service on busy nights as we know just getting to the bar is a huge effort.

Thanks again guys, keep it coming!

P.s. We will get new writing on the mirrors wednesday, bare with us in the meantime :wink:

Jeppe

16. Denoas

Denoas Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2013 New York

Made it on Sunday & that list was ridiculous. There was a good crowd but calm. It quite an impressive looking bar. Highlights were the Even more jesus Port, Justin Bleaber, & Bleabler 2012. One of the funnist things i overheard was this group of chicks telling one another that they wanted a cocktail.

17. Sean9689

Sean9689 Pooh-Bah (2,270) Mar 17, 2009 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Jeppe, some of the Chicago crew needs to get out that way soon to say hi. It's been too long!

18. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2012 New York

I took pictures of the tap list.... . The mirror image of the hanging glasses makes the top half of the board tough to read. A darker marker and writing on the bottom half of the mirrors is a quick and easy fix.
    I was impressed with water being offered to me rather than asking. It was refilled constantly like being in a quality restaurant. I repeated the quality service just as much as the menu. Absolutely Great service!
    I ordered drafts by "what will I most likely never see on tap again". Both bartenders broke down the taps with the story behind it... It was tough deciding what to order next.
    Not posting the draft list is a smart move. I called a certain midtown place that mistakenly keeps updating their site with Edward. You will be getting phone calls constantly asking if xyz is still on tap.

19. axeman9182

axeman9182 Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2009 New Jersey

Looking forward to checking this place out Tuesday afternoon.

20. slander

slander Pooh-Bah (2,324) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society

There are 7 of those mirrored panels end to end. I'd convert the center 3 (or the ones in the 2, 4, & 6 locations) to chalkboards and list 7 taps on each (they would still be easier to update than the mirrored panels, especially if you could take them down to update them and then put them back up). Problem with the mirrors as they are are twofold. The first being of course that you can't easily read them (the color, the lighting, blah blah), but the second being that unless you're seated towards the center of the bar, you can't see everything from end to end anyway. I was on the corner of the bar last night and you really couldn't see past the 3rd panel in. All nice and fine if you want to walk the length of the bar to read the whole tap list, but when it's 3 deep to the bar, you won't want to fight your way through or risk losing your seat.

...and add ABV's. I know, and you know, but there are too many people who don't know what they're getting themselves into, even with the lightest to darkest flow left to right.

Franch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.